Author Topic: Clock Clusters/streamlining  (Read 5404 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Clock Clusters/streamlining
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »
Does a clock/Instrument/switch cluster constitute streamlining in naked class if mounted on top yolk or do you have to make it brick shaped which wont be aerodynamic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 02:35:58 AM by oz »
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Clock Clusters/streamlining
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:27:10 AM »
are they stock for the bike?
kent

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »
There is nothing at all stock on the bike its all hand made/one off, The instrumentation will be on one lcd screen about 5"longx2"high with arming switches for Ignition Fuel Nitrous etc. below it  so it aint massive but still a lump if you know what I mean.Switches could be mounted else where but that is probably the most convenient place.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »
 :? If the instrument/switch cluster does NOT contribute to your frontal area, then trying to aero the cluster would potentially be "wasted effort". Look elsewhere to reduce frontal area and increase speed.  :-D

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline RP

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
Shaping a brick into a bullet would not be a waisted effort...there is more to aero than frontal area.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
You have reached that problem point that can't be answered unless the tech guy looks at it. If it looks like an obvious attempt at streamlining it probably won't pass. If it's just the usual cluster of instruments then probably not a problem.

The tech guys are smart enough to know when you turn an ordinary object into a streamlined ordinary object.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 02:19:09 AM »
I suppose its build it mount it and send em some pictures/drawings and see what they say thanks for the comments guys.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:47:44 AM »
no....the picture thing might not get a responce.. its more like do it and show up with it and then you'll find out.... ya see you dont know them and they dont know you so each of ya dont know what each other is like or thinkin... so build it and show up.... i will add that the tech guys are not stupid... if ya show up with a brick on your clamp and call it your instruments, common sence says it is of no aero advantage then your good to go... but if you have a wazoo Aim pisa dash with a custom aero bucket that is shaped to flow air.....you can still run it, but if you set a record they will definately bust you... i saw a guy mount a small tach and speedo inside a headlight bucket turned around and tried to call it his instrument bucket.... yep didnt work...
kent

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 04:35:02 AM »
wazoo aim piza dash with custom aero bucket now thats funny it did make me laugh is that technical speak, I get the picture though.I suppose its make and fit, post a few pics on this site and see what people think  (At least to give me an idea) or try to mill out the top yolk which isnt made as yet,and fit it as flush as I can which is probably the best idea .It really needs to be visible as its one screen that is doing everything from temp to RPM to Oil pressure the works really.

Cheers OZ

Offline JimL

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
Along this same line, can I mount my radiator on the front of the triple clamps (A class bike)?  It's a little large, but I need it in free air (not salt).  Would that be considered streamling on an open bike?

thanks for any suggestions,
JimL

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 01:06:23 AM »
Yes
kent

Offline JimL

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks.  How about if it is behind the front wheel...can I use plastic louvers like a dirt bike to keep the salt from plugging the radiator?

Thanks again,
JimL

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »
Jim. salt will only collect on  a little stripe behind the wheel, and it won't be that much during the run.  Most of the salt that you get on the radiator comes after the run in the shutdown.
Never been a problem...
Spray it off between runs
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JimL

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »
True enough...as long as we don't do like '99 again!  There was so much salt cooked into everything on the roadster...I'd have needed a water tanker to clean up! 

The bike I ran this year got pretty caked, and didn't have a problem (air cooled parallel twin) but in '69 it hot spotted both the cylinders next to the timing chain tunnel because I didn't know to drill the air holes big enough to let the salt blow on through.  Like they say, live and learn. 

Anyway, I'm planning on putting the radiator in the position of the "hole" in my old road race fairing.  When I take the fairing off, for open class, it'll stay on it's mounts in front of the forward engine.

Thanks everyone for keeping us on the right path.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
Jim, paraphrasing what Stainless said, I usually put a strip of duct tape on the radiator where the vast majority of the salt off the front wheel gets collected.  Remove the salty tape after a run, put on a new strip -- the radiator stays pretty clean and functional.

As you learn things about land speed racing you'll become quite familiar with the line that "Duct tape is your friend".

Or, the line saying that all you need is WD-40 and duct tape.  If it moves and it shouldn't move, use duct tape.  Vice-versa, if it doesn't move and it should -- use the WD-40.  There you have it -- 90% of your problems will be solved if you remember that dictum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com