Author Topic: not just another wheel on a stick  (Read 89247 times)

Offline rustyT

Re: not just another wheel on a stick
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »
willie
Thanks for the info,thats exactly what I needed. I will order some blade stock tomorrow. Your blade last a year? holy crap,you must be the only one useing it,Mine last a while and then when I really need it,I screw it up and dont have enough stock to build another.The plasma cutter is the last choice for me too,I cant stand the dust or fumes anymore,I also baught a steel bladed chop saw three years ago,couldnt take the dust from it either,plus it never cut straight anyway,I keep it around because I need to cut hardened stuff like axles every once in a while,but otherwise I never use it.
I took my chop saw to Sumners last weekend and used it there,I think he will have one soon. :-D
Thanks again,Phil.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2008, 09:35:01 PM »
Another thing to use with your cutters and aluminum is WD40.  Works good.  I didn't think of it, had a machinist friend tell me about it.  I might have to re-do my belt drive on the band-saw and make it better and try one of those 1/4 inch blades.  Willie do you order from Enco??  Got a part number for it?? Is it a skip tooth?? There are lots of similar blades out there.

Thanks, Sum

P.S. Phil why do I need to but a saw when I can use yours??  You guys don't want to use one of those saws.  You will hate your cutoff wheel after that.

Offline rustyT

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
Sum
Steve came by yesterday and had a new saw,he baught it from northern hydrolics I think,I will find out for sure,anyway,its a 14" blade and looks like a well built saw and it only cost 250-275,I will find out the details and let yuo know.
Just herd the snow plows go by,oh boy :-( just what we need,another foot of snow.
                 talk to you soon.Phil.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
Another thing to use with your cutters and aluminum is WD40.  Works good.

better still use tapping fluid....quite often we cut out Al parts with a jigsaw....once you get to about 3/16 thick use a wood blade or the coarsest "metal" blade you can get and a generous dollop of goop , just put it on the blade clamp where it will run down the blade coz it's easier than running it around the line .I haven't cut thicker than 1/2 inch but it does that fine.....it's the quietest and most economical method I've found .

I've also heard of the carbide tip saw on the 9 inch circular for the really thick stuff , I don't know that that would be so quiet.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:47 PM »
I've cut a bunch of Al on my able saw with a 10" 60T carbide blade. I've cut 1/8" plate and 2" angle with no issues, other than a little noise. I just wear my ear-muffs I bought for my router. Speaking of which, I've used the router on Al as well to make slotted holes for adjustment. You can do a lot to Al with good old woodworking tools.

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline rustyT

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2008, 12:23:48 AM »
frogpirate
I have used a table saw on aluminum before also,the thing you forgot to mention in your post was not only do you need ear muffs,you need welding gloves,leather welding coat and full face sheild,man does those little pieces burn like a son of a dog, holy crap, leaves little blisters all over,but just couldnt stop,the piece was turning out to good to stop. :-o There you have it,the rest of that story.
                                                       Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2008, 03:45:56 PM »
Shes a roller...
Its amazing what Willie can get done when I lock him in the shop. :-D

Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
more pics

Sheri
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
a couple more

Sheri
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »

Looks really nice, now what is he going to due until May??  I've seen different ideas for rear brakes, but I think this one might get interesting.

Good going Willie,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2008, 08:03:52 PM »
thinking of doing the rear brake master cylinder on the right handlebar  was even thinking of doing a foot brake and a hand brake 2 master cylinders 1 caliper to much junk to go haywire      willie buchta

frog mailed out fuel injection  merry christmas--sent you a pm  willie   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:07:43 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:08 PM »
Just curious Willie. Is there any way of setting the toe other than with the inner rod ends? Is it critical on a side car rig? I'm a car guy and really don't know.

Thanks,
Pete

Offline willieworld

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
peter jack  yes toe and camber the side car wheel much like the rear wheel has no adjustment for caster -- are adjustable the 4 places the sidecar attach to the bike there are heim joints with aboit an inch of adjustment --when i build all of my bikes i do so in a jig on final assembly im usually within a half turn on the heims--
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline rustyT

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:38 PM »
willie
Just curious,is the water bottle in the back pocket to cool your ars when the tire rubs threw the seat of your pants :-D
That things looks awesome !! I guess I didnt realize it was a single lung until these last pictures.I guess the little blue bottle makes up for the absence of the other cylinder,then again maybe I dont know what the hell Im talking about either,not all that up on motorcycle stuff.Anyway,looks great.Always excited to see pictures of others work.
                                                  Later,Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »
peter sorry i had to turn off my computer  the bike stands straight up and down all three wheels are 90 degrees with the ground --the sidecar wheel is paralel with the centerline of the bike seems to work on my bike yes its a buell blast  500 cc 

rusty i dont make any saliva so im stuck with the water bottle  --the bike is pretty much through the first stage now its gong to get exciting  stay tuned   --they also make a tri metal blade for the bandsaws but costly    willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:38:50 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta