Author Topic: not just another wheel on a stick  (Read 89261 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: not just another wheel on a stick
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Last time I checked this was the build diaries not the buy diaries. 
Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »
hummmmm
well ok then... just thought i'd offer a sugestion....i dont know what willie thinks his time is worth......hey ya done with my NOS hose ya borrowed at Bonneville yet..?...
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »
no not yet--  just kidding--if it hadent of been for your loaning me that hose i may not have set the fuel record at speedweek i am guarding it with my life and will return it when we next meet   thanks   willie buchta  my point about building or buying ---i think maybe 90 percent of lsnd speed racers cant afford 230 dollars and probibly most cant afford 1/2 that --i like to make the parts and pieces that i can ---and money is of no concern to me although i wont pay someone else for something i can do myself  i mean thats how i learned to do all the things i do and i know i can probibly buy things cheaper than i can make them sometimes but at the end of the day i want to look back with pride it what i did if my pockets are empty so be it --some people get it some dont  willie buchta 

willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline rustyT

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
WB.
I agree,its way more satisfying to build the parts yourself,thats what seperates us from the others,I have been helping Sum on his lakester,where we live ,you cant just go downtown and get tabs,tubing,or any kind of parts like that and I guess we arent as good at planning as some others,so we end up building alot of parts,weather they are custom or a simple tab,we build them most of the time.Its great to see others ways of building things,sometimes it looks easier and sometimes you wonder what they  are thinking,but its all in how you look at things. In your post of building tabs,how do you get your saw to cut that small radius,my saw has a 3/8 .035 blade and I cant seem to cut near that tight of radius.Any help would be great. Keep up the build post,its nice to learn something now and then.My Grandpa always said,If someone is talking ,shut up and listen,they are probably saying something,try not to miss it.I dont know if that makes sense or not to you, but I have tried it and man does it work if you can try not to let your pride get in the way.Thats just my opinion,I could be wrong.
Anyway Willie,keep talking,Im listening!!! Thanks,Phil.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
thanks for all the info great build site
keep it coming
thanks
robbie

Offline willieworld

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »
rusty   makes perfect sense to me --i use a 1/4 in. blade it will cut a tight radis --my other saw i use a 1/2 in blade for straight cuts   i am going to keep posting and each piece will be a little more complicated --i think that over the years we all probibly make about the same kind of parts --im still in a learning curve myself so if anyone wants to post a HOW TO  on this thread please feel free --thanks  willie buchta         

rusty go to bracketts and other fun stuff in the build diaries 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 08:00:02 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/bandsaw.html   

I converted a wood bandsaw to metal also (see picture) using pulleys from a washer or dryer I had and it works, but not great.  It would take me along time to cut those brackets out like you did.  I'd like to see some pictures how you converted yours and how long did it take to cut those brackets out??

I did mine mainly to cut aluminum stock to length to use in the mill or lathe.  Later I bought one of the cheap HF bandsaws and it works better than what I made, but is still not as fast as a good one.  Most of my brackets I now do with the plasma cutter and get them close and then bolt them together to grind to the same shape.  Those that you made are really nice.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
Willy, I to would like to see your band saw conversion. I have a real POS wood band saw that I cut aluminum with, it will do any thing up to around 1/2 inch. I also use my 71/4 skill saw for straight cuts on aluminum sheet and plate. Use a carbide blade and good ear protection! it is really loud!! I have not tried it on my POS band saw but when I worked for Ongais we used to cut stainless tubing for headers with the band saw going as fast as it would go, probaby around 3000 fpm, didn't matter what the blade looked like, we usually used old blades that were worn out, but it would cut the tubing like butter. Boy did it scare the sh-t out of you when the blade broke!!! Danny Thompson showed me this method of cutting stainless tubing.

Willie, I agree with you about making lots of your own stuff but I also agree with Kent that some of the tabs and parts that you can get from The Chassis Shop can sure save some time and they are qualilty parts. Land speed cars (and bikes) are a little different than street rods, you can build a street rod almost without ever making any a part of any sort, (you just have to throw out all of the "blister packs" that the parts come in!). Not quite the same when it comes to a landspeed vehicle, you had better know how to do some fab work or you better have a big bank account. (So you can pay Kent $230/hour!)

Love your bike and keep up the fab posts.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline rustyT

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
willie
Thanks for the info,Im going to try the 1/4" blade on my saw,I buy it in 100 feet rolls and build them to length,my saw has a blade welder on it,its nice not to buy two or three blades at a time,when I need one,I cut to length and weld it. What is the tooth count on the blades you use on the 1/4" blade? i use variable tooth on the 3/8 blade and it seems to work pretty well.I checked out your other post,its awesome what a person can build with simple tools and a great imagination,great job Willie,Im with you, I am not the best buisness man,but Im proud of all the projects that have left my shop or friends projects that I have helped on,and I dont have to hang my head over the price I have charged them!

Sum. Is that a flux-capacitor on the side of your saw? just kidding,the thing works great for what you use it for! I use my plasma cutter alot but the dust it puts out is tough to breath very much anymore,so Ive tried to find other ways to cut things if I can.Thanks again Willie,keep up the post,I would love to post pictures of my work,but Im always so far behind,hope to meet you at speedweek or EM !  Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »
i will post some pics of my high dollar saws--one i bought at a flee market for 100 dollars the other a friend gave me --as you know they turned way to fast for metal --i changed the pulleys around to slow them down-- the motors are 1720 rpm and each saw has a jack shaft --motor very small pulley -jackshaft big pulley--jackshaft small pulley --saw big pulley --i checked the speed of the blade (masting tape on blade count revolutions for i minute x inches of blade devide by 12 ==feet per min.) i think it was 260m fpm  if you need to know i will check --the harder the material the slower the blade--o yea i never use oil it makes a mess what i do use is bar soap especially on aluminum  works on your die grinder bits too  --here are the pics of those beauties      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »
Here is the other saw

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline rustyT

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2008, 02:48:29 AM »
I never seem to be at the right place at the right time :-( I had to scrimp and save to get the saw I got,its from Enco,its not the top of the line but its the best one I could afford,plus it just happened to be on sale.I use it alot for aluminum for the bomber seats I build,I will have to try the soap trick,see Willie,what my grandpa told me is true. Thanks again,hope to be able to give back someday.

Thanks,Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
rusty   i use bar soap on my band saw blades -my die grinders --cut off saw and bench grinder ESPECIALLY IF IM GOING TO CUT OR GRIND ALUMINUM--if you dont want to use soap wax works just as well  --when you cut or grind aluminum use a lot it will keep the aluminum from plugging up the blades especially the die grinder bits ---------------------     willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:41:28 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline rustyT

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »
willie
Thanks for the tip,I have a couple of bomber seats to build in the next few days,Ill give it a try.Do you know what the tooth count on your 1/4" saw blade is ? As good as it cuts those tabs,I would like to get the same if possiable,also do you know what the blade speed is,I think you said like 260 or something like that. Thanks for the info !!
                                            Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
rusty  just went out and checked my saw blade speed --the blade turns 70 rpm it is 91 in. long thats 531 feet per minute --there are 12 teeth per inch--speed is a little high my lenox chart says it should be 305 fpm --i cut every thing on this saw i never cram it through and it cuts real fast---the blade will usually last me about a year then i usually cut through a big old weld and junk the blade --the blades are bi-metal and cost me 25 dollars each but well worth it --i have a plasma cutter mounted on a panagraph but i had throat cancer 4 years ago i did radiation and chemotheraphy ever since then i cant stand the smell of the plasma cutter -- strange  hope i was of some help  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta