Author Topic: not just another wheel on a stick  (Read 89258 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: not just another wheel on a stick
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
Looks good.....Sheri, would you ask Willie....why so much trail?????........................................................

OK, I see he has a lot of rake, but don't we need the front end to figure trail or am I confused...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 01:13:32 PM »
O.K.........O.K.......Rake.....Trail....Whatever..............
Why is the front wheel going to be located in the next state...............a new sidecar speed secret?

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
Trail.. maybe Sherri is going to run a Earles fork? :D Nice job Willie, looks great!

Minor thread-jack - how much trail is OK for a Bonneville bike? I'd like to rake the stock frame Blast a little, but I don't want to increase the trail too much, and I don't think anyone makes a raked tree for a Blast. Stock rake is 25deg; I'd like to go to around 30deg.

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »
i didnt start this posting to argue--just so you all could see this bike being built --please remember opinions are like assholes everybody has one --my wife is doing the posting so she will make some errors i am sure   please bear with her --i myself am very busy at the moment am building 7 bikes and im a one man shop--i like a lot of rake because it is pleasing to my eye no other reason--the bike i race has 50 degrees of rake my wifes b-last will have only 45 degrees-for those that dont understand the relationship between trail and rake check this site out www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html  --sheri may be a little slow in posting as we are in the middle of remodeling our house also      thanks everyone  hope to see you all at elmo this week end  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »
Day 3
Battery box and bracing in frame finished.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »
Day 4
Battery box finished. Top and front and bottom motor mounts finished.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 01:16:25 AM »
Hello All,
We haven't worked on the bike since the 17th. Getting Willie's bike ready for El Mirage. Also getting caught up with some remodeling and honey dew's.... Hope to see everybody this weekend. Look us up. We have the white mailbox out front of our camp(it has our name on it). Looking forward to our last race.See ya there..
Willie and Sheri
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
Good luck this weekend Willie - wish I was coming down to watch!

Thanks for posting the build, I'm enjoying it. Sheri - it looks like you are going to have a great bike.
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »
Thanks frogpirate...I think so too.
Sheri
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline panchop

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »
my kinda bike, a couple people mentioned rake and wheelbase on my bike as being excessive also. I for one found it tracked straight as an arrow up to 170. I don't know about above that yet. I like how you set up your frame table. lots of access.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:56:43 AM by panchop »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »

Here is a picture of Willie's current bike for those who haven't seen it.  I love this picture (taken by them).  I like the detail on the bike, like the stickers inside the wheel cover facing out and just the overall lines of the bike.  It runs good and is great looking.  Good job Willie!!

There is another picture here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville%20bikes-1/349-2007.html

I'll see you guys this weekend,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »
  sumer thanks for the kind worde and the pics  willie                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                panchop everyone gives me a hard time about the rake on my bike too but ive been building and riding bikes for a long time (ill be 63 in jan.) ive always ran a lot of rake and never had a handleing problem with the front end --i know that you can have to little rake (trail) but i dont think you can have to much --rake is what you see looking at the frame with the front end off  trail is a whole different thing and every one should understand trail much more important than rake -although they are related they are not the same --im building a new bike after i finish my wifes--i think insted of 50 degrees ill only run 45 degrees --if you get a chance check out  www.itsallabouttheride.org  thats what i did last year       thanks williebuchta                 
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
click on TOP GUN  then points standing   thanks everyone see you all at el mirage friday  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
Rake looks fine to me the steeper or more vertical the quicker the steering hence GP Bikes are closer to vertical for quick turn ins they are also more twitchy and liable to go into Tank slappers for LSR a nice lazy turn has got to be better Trail is what keeps the wheel in a straight line if I understand it right and its the distance beetween a straight line through the headstock to the ground and a parallel line drawn beetween  the centre of the front wheel spindle the difference or distance beetween the two is the amount of trail this is governed by the yolks (or do you call them triple trees Always wondered what they were )and you got to have some or it just gets too floppy too much and you cant turn. Think I got that right when i was working in Desperate Dans Customs the boss Chris Ireland always used to say if it looks right it probably is and I have always built frames that way,The handling has nearly always been what has been expected sometimes even better.Anyway Cool looking outfit and like the rake.

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
Nice bike Sheri, who's that bearded guy bending fishing poles?

:-D

Thanks for the tri-tip at El Mirage - we all had a great time.  Can't wait to see what the bike looks like, Willie is a true craftsman.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4