Author Topic: not just another wheel on a stick  (Read 89248 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: not just another wheel on a stick
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
Heres a couple of pics of another bike that Willie is building. It looks like an old bike but its actually all new stuff. Most of the parts he built. The motor is a 1200cc buell. It has 21 inch wheels front and rear. It's in one of Willie's single downtube frame. Disc brakes front and rear. VL harley springer. All the oil lines and wiring are inside the frame.He's says its a customers but I really think its for me.  :roll:

Merry Christmas....

Willie and Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2007, 10:24:41 PM »
Heres a couple of pics of another bike that Willie is building. It looks like an old bike but its actually all new stuff. Most of the parts he built. The motor is a 1200cc buell. It has 21 inch wheels front and rear. It's in one of Willie's single downtube frame. Disc brakes front and rear. VL harley springer. All the oil lines and wiring are inside the frame.He's says its a customers but I really think its for me.  :roll:

Merry Christmas....

Willie and Sheri Buchta

Very nice, what is the life expectancy of the rear tire under anything more than quarter throttle  :?,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »
Depends on how I ride it...

Sheri Buchta :-o
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2007, 11:36:14 PM »
Depends on how I ride it...

Sheri Buchta :-o

Starting to sound like it is yours for sure now  :-).  The bike reminds me a lot of the old board track bikes. 

Does Willie get the 1st off  :evil:??

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2007, 12:27:27 AM »
Hell nooooooooo

Just kidding...He works everyday. Thats what keeps him sane or not...

Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
............. Thats what keeps him sane or not...........

I'll reserve judgement on that until after I've been around him a little more  :-P,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2007, 12:32:45 AM »
New pics of the chain guard  Took a couple of hours today and made it.  Some handlebars and a couple of brackets switch mounts and tach and I'm ready to go  :-o

Happy New Year All

Sheri
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
New pics of the chain guard  Took a couple of hours today and made it.  Some handlebars and a couple of brackets switch mounts and tach and I'm ready to go  :-o

Happy New Year All

Sheri

Might want to pick up a spare master link in case that one happens to fail... :mrgreen:

The build progress is going great, thanks for the update!

J

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »

Might want to pick up a spare master link in case that one happens to fail... :mrgreen:

J

Lotta work into that chain guard, looks good!
Deb   :-)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
this is willie posting---although you don't have any high tech tools you can still make some pretty nice stuff at home   today the first day of the new year i'm going to try to show you an example   these brackets are 3/16 cold roll plate and the brackets are for sheri's side car mounts  the first thing i do is to make a bracket so that i have a pattern   i always drill the hole first and then cut out the bracket   that way you have a bigger piece of metal to hang on to when you drill the hole   and you should use a drill press for the drilling so that your holes are nice and square  we lay out the part on the metal  we drill the hole  we cut it out on the bandsaw (the bandsaw that i use is a wood cutting bandsaw that i've changed pulleys on to change the gear ratio   and it has a metal cutting blade on it) then we sand and shape the edges and we have a nice pattern  in this case i needed six parts so i only had to make five because the pattern counts as one   the next step is to lay out 5 brackets on the metal by using the pattern   center punch for drilling of the holes and drill all the holes   i use a felt marker to black out the area around  the bracket and then i scribe along the pattern with an awl   in the first pic you will see 5 holes drilled and 5 pieces scribed   in the next pic you will see the 5 pieces cut out   then you will see the 5 pieces with the edges sanded   thats it   to do this you will need a drill press and a drill bit and awl and a felt marker a
center punch but a transfer punch is much better  and a band saw or a scrollsaw with a metal cutting blade a sander or grinder
if i'm going to make bigger much more complex parts  i usually make a paper pattern first out of poster board when thats right i make it out of metal using the poster board cutout as a pattern   you could actually do this with a hand drill and a file but if thats the extent of your equipment you may want to call a chassis shop and just order the brackets
willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:01:21 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
the rest of the pics  i know they arnt exactly the same  thats the differance between home made and store bought  i love the home made stuff

willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:06:06 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
 Nice work , and good effort in showing the practical methods and clear thinking...

i usually make a paper pattern first out of poster board when thats right i make it out of metal using the poster board cutout as a pattern

heaps of stuff on our car was first built as a mock-up by "Captain Cardboard" ( my nick-name for the Rev)....our water tank , fuel tank , every piece of plating in, in fact just about everything because it's all very well to "measure" but when you want to make something as large as possible for a given space it is often easier to start with scissors and cardboard . I used to do a bit of part-time for a repetition engineering works...making hundreds of brackets or thinga-me-jigs...on small runs you don't get the luxury of working out the bugs but the same principles of design apply , minimal cutting , waste and dressing but still coming up with a piece that does the job and is more silk purse than sows ear.. :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »
i buy my weld tabs from the chassis shop... there about $1.80 each...lots of other places sell them i've even seen them on ebay...my shop rate is $230. an hour....i cant justify spending a hour making $12 worth of tabs to my customers. I pre plan and pre buy all the tabs before we start the project saves lots of time and money in the long run....
kent

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
i buy my weld tabs from the chassis shop... there about $1.80 each...lots of other places sell them i've even seen them on ebay...my shop rate is $230. an hour....i cant justify spending a hour making $12 worth of tabs to my customers. I pre plan and pre buy all the tabs before we start the project saves lots of time and money in the long run....
kent

$ 230 an hour, man I must owe you a lot of money.. :mrgreen:

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2008, 11:22:37 AM »
kent

$ 230 an hour, man I must owe you a lot of money.. :mrgreen:

J

Yea, I'm afraid to go get the mail now.  Might be a bill in there for the last phone call. I think phone consultations might even be more  :cry: .

Just kidding Kent we all know those rates don't apply to land speed racers.  Thanks for all the help you've given me,

Sum