Author Topic: not just another wheel on a stick  (Read 89464 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: not just another wheel on a stick
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »
Hey Sum, all the sleep you are losing these days needs to be spent in the shop, get back to work....
if you build your tank from stainless or aluminum it won't need any coating, but since I know it will be large, either put in some baffles or use fuelsafe foam...
Willie, you do great work, and really turn out parts quickly, Sheri must be cracking the whip...

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline willieworld

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
before the last piece is welded in i sandblast the inside and weld on the last piece then spray the inside with wd40 --i never use a coating inside like cream even on very thin material tanks if you get a leak and try to weld it you can really make a mess--weight is not much of a factor in LSR so make the tank from thick material  .070 or thicker if you are going to wire feed it  make your own bungs  unless you have a good supplier  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Blue

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2007, 06:46:05 PM »
Sheri and Willie,
First let me say that your workmanship and fabrication speed are awesome.  I know what opinions are worth, so I'm offering the following as simply information.

(moved to steering and suspension board)

Good luck, and all the best.
Eric Ahlstrom
Program Manager
Fossett LSR
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:15:20 PM by Blue »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »
eric here are a couple of pics of my bike  willie buchta
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:28:53 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 01:12:55 AM »
I have some more pics. After mowing the lawn and doing the dishes :-D Willie found time to set the NOS bottle on the bike. The other pic of the bike is to give you all an idea of about how tall the bike will be. Till next time, enjoy life a little... not a little less.
Sheri Buchta
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:30:10 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »
Wow, are you sure you want to put another wheel on that one?  Looking really good Sheri and Willie, love your old school look.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
Hope your knees are going to be well padded Sheri! Great looking bike!

Pete

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
Uhh, so far it exists only on paper. :O Well, except for a MegaSquirt that we've started on. As soon we get started RealSoonNow(tm) I'll get some pictures posted.

I'm driving over to Idaho on Sunday to look at a prospect bike. The wife is not real keen, since I haven't got the Goldwing that is funding this project sold yet, but on the other hand she hasn't said No either.

Ken

You should check out this ad then Ken:

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
 :-D  HA! She is not against the Bonneville project, only against me spending money I don't have; which I will have once the 'wing is out of the garage.

I cannot complain about my wife at all. She has bought a couple of bikes for me, and had no problem when I sold one to finance the Goldwing. She barely complained when I spent ALL my vacation time this year and a big chunk of money riding the 'wing around the country during the Iron Butt Rally. AND she decided to start riding this year, took the MSF course and bought a Ninja 250. I'll be buying another street bike as well to ride with her; we are planning on going to Hyder, AK this spring.

Nope, no complaints here!

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
Okay, I give up -- Rand McNally won't tell me, so you need to do so -- where's Hyder, Alaska?  Anyplace Alaska is a long ride -- really long on a Ninja 250.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 11:32:19 AM »
did you get the b-last in idaho  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »
Slim - Hyder is in extream south-east Alaska. If you can find Stewert, B.C., Hyder is right next door. The nearest 'big' town is Prince Rupert, maybe 100 miles south as the crow flies, or about 250 miles by road. Hyder is "only" about 1,300 miles from Vancouver. I've ridden it 3 times, on 3 different bikes; in '03 on a '82 GL500 Honda, in '04 on a new '04 V-Strom 650 and in '06 on the Goldwing. In '04 my buddy and I left Hyder @ 6 AM and I got home (to Portland, OR then) at 4AM the next morning. Easy ride! :-)

Willie - no I didn't. We had a major storm that weekend up here, which was part of the reason. Mostly I decided that Mrs. Kermie was right and I should wait until I get the 'wing sold (any day now...fingers crossed) before spending money I don't have. Trust me, the anticipation is killing me!

Hey, but we have art work started for my leathers & fund raiser T-shirts: http://candyassllamas.com/OBSR/SaltGirl2Color.JPG

Speaking of leathers, we went to the Portland MC Show this weekend (just a little local thing with local dealers) and I was talking to someone about custom leathers. I was quoted around $1,600, including some graphics etc. Does this sound steep, ok, or ?? I don't want to skimp on these, but I don't want to spend 1/2 the budget on them either! For that price it seems I should be able to get custom Vanson's!

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »
Ken, i know my Vanson leathers ran about $1200.00 but i got a deal. After i had them for a year lost alot of weight i called them to see if they could re-size them, they basically told me to pound sand buy a new set, so Kent turned me on to Amanda at speedsport in oklahoma, great people and they do a great job, they make custom suits and they were able to finish mine in time for speedweek give them a call 918-747-8874

later, Mark

Offline willieworld

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 07:29:54 PM »
hate to give this one up butttttttttt--look on e-bay -leathers or racing leathers--i usually buy a set of leathers for less than $100--just make sure they are all cow  no cloth panels and no preferations if there is a small amount of preferations the local upholestry shop will fix mine for about $30 dollars --i have a pair for sale now red white black --im 5ft 11in weigh 174 lbs
and they fit me snug but very aero $250 and ill pay the shipping to lower 48 
also they have the scta button
                                  willie buchta
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:50:25 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
Ken,I am with Willie on the leathers deal,got my last several sets for my son and I on eBay--paid 125.00 for mostexpensive set,got my son a set of Vansons for 90.00. Got  a set of Kushitani's on Craigslist for 110.00.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!