Author Topic: Intro / What Car Class?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline chota

• New folks
Intro / What Car Class?
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:02:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Gary and I've been reading a while, and I have learned a lot from you folks. What a great site. I have a question about car classes. I've read the 2007 SCTA rule book over and over, and I'll read it more, however I can not find a class my car would fit into. What I'm wanting to build is a '31 Chevy coupe with a leaned back windshield and the roof from a 36 Ford. I will have altered the CONTOUR of the car eliminating me from the Competition Coupe class, and chopped it more than what's allowed for the Vintage Coupe class. Basically I'm wanting to build a car that is heavily inspired by the Chrisman Coupe of the 50's. However it won't fit into any current class. Can I not race the car? I'm not trying to break any records. I won't even come close to a record, I just want to run the car. My goal is the 150mph club at the WoS, but I also want to run El Mirage. Thanks for any help in advance.

landracing

Re: Intro / What Car Class?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
Chota,

If records are not what you want, and just out having fun you can always race as a Time Only entry. This is a vehicle with No Class for the configuration. The 150 Club you dont need to be in any class other then minimal safety requirements.

Sometimes it's just about building it and having fun....

And welcome to the website, we are all glad you have you here.

Jon

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »
Why not run the '36 Ford body,or keep the Chevy roof on the Chevy,
and make it legal for Competition Coupe ?

I don't understand how "contour" is enforced,but swapping on a different roof isn't it.

My guess is the later Ford roof is going to be wider than the Chevy,
meaning lots of work to make it fit.

I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline chota

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:33:24 AM »
Wow, that was fast. I don't have a '36 Ford Body, and I don't have a chevy roof. The main reason for wanting to use this roof is so I can add rear struts to the cage to pass NHRA tech, very difficult to do with the stock roof. I also want to match the rear contour to the leaned back windshield. That's not a lot of work for me at all. Building the cage is what I'm more worried about. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:03:57 AM »
Wow, that was fast. I don't have a '36 Ford Body, and I don't have a chevy roof. The main reason for wanting to use this roof is so I can add rear struts to the cage to pass NHRA tech, very difficult to do with the stock roof. I also want to match the rear contour to the leaned back windshield. That's not a lot of work for me at all. Building the cage is what I'm more worried about. Thanks for the replies.

Time Only or WOS are both good options as has been mentioned.  If you run the 150 club at WOS the safety requirements become almost the same if not the same as SCTA.  If you run any class with SCTA/BNI you will have to have the safety requirements for the record in that class.  With "time only" as far as I know you will have to have the safety equipment for the speed you will run.  Maybe someone like Dan could clarify that.

Welcome to LSR,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »
No fire system or parachute requirements in 150 club, just competition belts and a roll cage.
USFRA guys chime in.
Time only still must meet all requirements for the closest class...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

landracing

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
No fire system or parachute requirements in 150 club, just competition belts and a roll cage.
USFRA guys chime in.

Part of that is wrong Stainless, the must have a 5lb Fire extinguisher in car.

Here are a summary
http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104

Jon

Offline chota

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:27:55 AM »
Time only. Good, thanks fellas, if you guys don't mind I'll be posting pics of my build and probably asking a lot of questions.
Gary

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »
USFRA guys chime in.

Part of that is wrong Stainless, the must have a 5lb Fire extinguisher in car.

Here are a summary
http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104

Jon

Yep, and you don't need a chute on a 150 mph SCTA/BNI car either ,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 03:09:37 PM »
Sounds like you want to build it to NHRA rules. Then stay there and race.

I don't know which rules you are looking for with them but normally their cage rules do not meet the SCTA for diameter and thickness. If you build it and it meets meets SCTA safety rules but not class rules it can run as time only. Dan Hostetter has been doing it for years with his 32 Ford. Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline chota

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:56 PM »
I want to build to comply with SCTA and NHRA. However I have no intention to drag the car, that's not to say my son won't want to drag it in 10 years. Some hot rodders do both.

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 09:24:55 PM »
A Roadster might be better ?

I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »
A roadster is always better!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline promachine

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
Amen brother, stan back.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler