Author Topic: 53 studebaker build  (Read 22944 times)

Offline stratman59

53 studebaker build
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
this is my first land speed build i'm thinking of building a drag type chassis with a four link rear and a strut front. my thinking is a four car will stay hooked up better in high gear. any help would be great.
thanks
robbie

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: 53 studebaker build
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Look at the build pictures on Hooley's Stude.  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html     Gary Hart's Stude runs a straight axle  http://www.geocities.com/garyhartracing/

I am sure somebody with more knowledge than I will post and help you.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:16:38 PM »
Ya may not need to be that sophisticated re:suspension- Steve Batchelor's Monza went 258+ with a rigid rear end- if you do go the Drag Race suspension route I'm sure you'll read Dave Morgan's well known book "Door Slammers, the Chassis Book". And call Rodger Lamb for a pair of his front struts!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:14 AM »
  We use an Alston drag chassis with 4link, hooks up at all speeds. 288 mph + goodyear 2222 tires, the kind everybody says not to use except Gail Banks, Goodyear, and a few others. We wanted to use Lamb struts but the story we got was they were concerned about the weight of the hemi and blowers in front. Banks used them on his Firebird,wide tires also.
  We went with Stock Car Products swingarm & antiroll bar,about 20 degrees castor. I wish had a rear antiroll bar too.They are availble now.
   Go to Getting ready for bonneville in the build diaries to view car.Your on the right track,have it welded by a certified welder.We have chromemoly but wish we had gone with mild steel,welding chromemoly takes certain steps that most welders don't know,& you will have to weld brackets occasionly.

Good luck JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:54:55 AM »
Robbie, it's a lot easier to view your fotos if you keep the largest image dimension under 900.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline aircap

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
Robbie - I notice your Stude is a hardtop, not a post. What are your plans for the window gap at speed?
Also - savvy Stude folk know that the hardtop tends to sag in the middle over time, check for cracking or flexing in the bodywork.
Also- the floor tends to rust very easily, are you going to replace it with non-stock, or a new floor pan?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:56:04 AM by aircap »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »
We use a 4 link rear and it seems to work fine at 200. However, if you go with a 4 link I would recommend using some sort of a panard system. Alot of 4 bar kits for drag racing use a track bar. We had the track bar system and it created some problems when we lost a rear tire at WF last month. 
Good luck with your build.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline stratman59

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 08:54:17 PM »
thanks everyone
I am planning on wishbone type panard bar with a sway bar. I haven't thought much about the window gap at speed but am planning on chopping the top which will make that easier. Thanks for pointing that out.
jl222 I have been checking out your build and it has given alot of good ideas. Thanks for posting all the pics. I like the wide tires too.
Will be sandblasting this weekend and posting a few more pics and learned how to resize pics for easier veiwing.
thanks
robbie

Offline stratman59

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:45:47 AM »
 been busy and haven't time to work on the car lately
going to start taking it apart and sandblasting sat.
i'll post some pics later this weekend
robbie

Offline stratman59

Re: 53 Studebaker build
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
been busy at work and building a car trailer but finally got to work on the car today
got windshield back glass and the interior out
should get the rest apart this week and be able to start sandblasting the weekend
robbie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 10:38:15 PM »
Congrats on getting started.  It is a long road, but this is about the time of the year Hooley started on his car and got done the night before leaving for the salt (wish I could do it that quick).

I don't know if you have seen them or not, but maybe some of his build pictures might help you in some way:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-construction.html

If you go back to his menu page there is also the changes to the car over the years.  The best of luck with yours and if we can help in anyway e-mail, post or PM me,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 12:21:49 AM »
Hooleys build----Sum that the first time I read it ----what a great fun time and a very nice FEAT!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:11 AM »
Do you plan on running the car in the classic class??  It's a very nice looking car, and in pretty decent shape. I know it's a lot of work for I too am building a car that was supposed only take 1 year to build and we are now on year 3.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline stratman59

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 06:42:33 AM »
thanks Sum i,ve been going to get in touch with you before i get too far along.

bville thinking about running comp coupe love that chopped top look of the studes
thanks
robbie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 09:16:49 AM »
thanks Sum i,ve been going to get in touch with you before i get too far along.

bville thinking about running comp coupe love that chopped top look of the studes
thanks
robbie

I sent you a PM and forgot to mention Gary Hart (GH) on here.  I'm sure he would also answer questions.  He has his car setup quite a bit different than Hooley's and it runs great, in fact he has no spins  :-D .

c ya,

Sum

P.S. Sparky see you later today.