Author Topic: Motorcycle Modified Class Questions  (Read 12874 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Motorcycle Modified Class Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
Sum I have the GTP38 map, but it is in Excell, I can post it or send it. Send me an e-mail and I'll attach it for you.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I sent you a PM,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 12:26:11 PM »
RZ350:

Mike's got the dyno charts, so I can't give you details, but in the shop (in the Pocono Mountains in eastern Pennsylvania) before we left for SpeedWeek it made about 47 rwhp around 14,000 rpm.  We're forecasting about 55-60 hp in the next iteration -- which gain will come from some cam timing fiddling and stuff like that.  Long term goal is 80 rwhp (and making that much power for at least four passes down the long course - anything more than that's a bonus).

One of these days I'll get a copy of the run sheet and share it. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
Firmanjim, thanks for the info on Bell Intercoolers. Looks like that's the way I'll end up going, since I need a custom small intercooler. I can get larger units off ebay, but they are way to big for my application. I was going to try and go with a water to air, but I'd need a water pump & Aux tank. I'm already stuck with having to use an external oil supply system with pump for the turbo. The little CB160 Honda only put out about 4-6 PSI in oil pressure so I can't use that. I may need an Aux battery for all the pumps! Yes, I will be doing a Blow-Thru with the turbo.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
Where are you at Ron? There is a guy selling a Turbo Seca beater for cheap on CL near me. Lots of good parts and a tiny turbo.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 12:21:33 AM »
Thanks for the info, but I'm already set for the Turbos, have both the RHB31 and RHB32 for the project. I'm located about 20 miles North of Detroit.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline RZ350

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »
Sounds good Slim, I'm always intersted in seeing dyno charts, especially small motor turbocharged applications lately...

That bike looks very well built, I can't quite make out the fuel system in that pic- Is that fuel injected?

Details!!! ;)
238 MPH at Bonneville

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
Yes, it is fuel injected.  Since we elected to put a MoTeC on it anyway it was reasonable to elect to fuel inject it.  Since nobody had put FI on this motor it took some doing to source the right size injectors, find a pump that'd produce enough pressure, fab up throttle bodies, and so on.  But it runs fine now -- look at the data playback and it's a flat line wherever we've asked it to be.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:30 PM »
RZ350:

Mike's got the dyno charts, so I can't give you details, but in the shop (in the Pocono Mountains in eastern Pennsylvania) before we left for SpeedWeek it made about 47 rwhp around 14,000 rpm.  We're forecasting about 55-60 hp in the next iteration -- which gain will come from some cam timing fiddling and stuff like that.  Long term goal is 80 rwhp (and making that much power for at least four passes down the long course - anything more than that's a bonus).

One of these days I'll get a copy of the run sheet and share it. 

The 47 HP is rather impressive considering what the bike makes stock, that's about (maybe over) a 50% increase.

80 HP would be 320 HP/liter! 

I have to ask though, since this bike ran in A and M classes, wouldn't it be easier to swap in a Kawasaki 250cc two stroke dirt bike motor?  (i.e, swap out everything but the turbo) :)

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
Guys another couple of questions. I just bought some tires for my project, Avon Universal 80/90-18H. Since these are H rated they should be way more than enough for my class (175cc M/BG). These tires are race tires and are not DOT approved. I didn't see anything in rules about DOT approved tires so I hope I'm OK with these??

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
The two things the inspectors look for on tires are the speed rating and the date code. You should be fine, assuming you aren't going over 130 mph.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
RZ -- Sure, it might be doable to swap in a two-stroke motor, but where's the adventure there?  Going where nobody has gone before (and probably spending what nobody has been damn-fool enough to spend before) is more in the spirit of land speed racing.  That's why the original four-stroke engine is in the bike and will remain there 'til it moves into a new chassis -- as soon as we can afford that.  As to the classes and moves here and there - we put it in altered last year when we went to the 3 liter fuel tank and the absolutely non-stock bodywork.  Also -- the records were open. Hey, might as well gather a few more trophies for the mantlepiece while we're at it, right?

Chaulkdust:  If the tires are labeled as race tires we'll inspect for wear, but not for date code.  We'll need to see the "race only" or whatever verbiage Avon puts on the tire to state definitively that it's race only, of course.  And don't forget that the speed rating that's required is based on the record in your chosen class, NOT the speed that you think you're going to go.  Just because you'll only run at 75 mph (for instance) doesn't mean you can get away "H" tires when the record in your class is 166mph.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
I know it has been done this way in the past......BUT........approving a tire because it indicates "race only" can be dangerous.............
there are soft, medium, and hard compounds................
if the "wrong" compound is being used for the size and hp. of the bike you have a BIG problem.
Tech. needs to know what compound tire has been mounted............................................................
And that opens another "can of worms"...........

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »
OK, now I'm a bit confused. Does the "Class Entered" phrase in the rule book pertain to the Overall Class (175cc's in my case) or the specific class you run in, M-BG (in my case)? In the 175cc class the highest speed I can find in any sub-class is 133MPH (APS-G). There are no records in the 175cc M-BG class to go by. The next class up 250cc's MPS-BG is 97 MPH (Jon's Bike), which isn't quite like M-BG. So how do I know what speed rating I need?? Perhaps there is a simple answer.  I can still cancel the order for the Avon's if I act quickly, it's just hard to find tires/speed rated in my size. But I want to get this right, so I don't have any issues later. This kinda stuff is exactally why this forum is so valuable, especially for us new folks.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
Ron, can you get the tires in a "V" rating?  Do it if you can -- then you're okay up to a buck-fifty. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com