Author Topic: The "other" record Steam powered reciprecating engine  (Read 9424 times)

Offline Popsonhops

• New folks
The "other" record Steam powered reciprecating engine
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
Hello everyone who reads this.. My name is Dwight, I am an inventor, and I am going to attempt the LSR for steam powered car. I have been working on  high revving 3 cylinder that works on pressures from 110 to 2100 psi.  I am hoping to join the 200 mph club but need to know a few things first... 
 Car prep
 Weight
  Fuel
 I have not found very useful information on the on track fuel requirments for storage.
 Can someone help me out? Is a trike different than a 4 wheeled machine?
 Fastest speed record for steam powered trike?
 Thanks in Advance..

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: The "other" record Steam powered reciprecating engine
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
Dwight, as much as I am intrigued by your question I must admit that it is worded oddly and am not sure what you want to know.

Firstly you need to get a SCTA rulebook and see what is required for all classes and cars. There is too much info that it could not be realistically covered on this here, but this forum is where you will need to come with all the little grey questions.

The closest thing to a trike is a sidecar motorcycle....even the "unlimited by design" streamliners must have 4 wheels (or 2 if they are streamlined motorcycles). 

The fastest steam powered car was the "steamn' demon" doing 145.6 mph

BTW:
I have a broken lazer.....JK

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:41:28 PM »
Firstly you need to get a SCTA rulebook and see what is required for all classes and cars.
If you're seriously thinking of a 3-wheeler, check the BUB trials website which will refer you to the FIM rules. Good luck, more power too ya for exploring alternative technologies.

bak189

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »
Remember people.....a sidecar is NOT a TRIKE....
read both the SCTA and AMA/FIM rules.
(sidecar, leaving two separate and distinct tracks
with the front wheel track covered by the rear wheel track).................................................................

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »
Hello everyone who reads this.. My name is Dwight, I am an inventor, and I am going to attempt the LSR for steam powered car. I have been working on  high revving 3 cylinder that works on pressures from 110 to 2100 psi.  I am hoping to join the 200 mph club but need to know a few things first... 
 Car prep
 Weight
  Fuel
 I have not found very useful information on the on track fuel requirments for storage.
 Can someone help me out? Is a trike different than a 4 wheeled machine?
 Fastest speed record for steam powered trike?
 Thanks in Advance..

I assume by "other" record you mean not a turbine like the British attempt.  http://www.steamcar.co.uk/

" Car prep" 

Get an SCTA rulebook, and start studying.  There are some unique safety aspects of your efforts, and I would get in communication with the appropriate person in tech prior to building to clarify what may be required.

"Fuel
 I have not found very useful information on the on track fuel requirments for storage. "

There are some restrictions regarding gaseous fuels FYI.

Offline power58

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
Best of luck with your project. I think the biggest problem you might have is the boiler certification for 2100 PSI. Most Antique Engine shows won't allow much over 100 Psi boiler pressure. It's all about insurance. Will The SCTA/BNI Insurance allow you to run a pressure vessel of  that high of pressure ? The whooosh of steam would be very cool on the salt. Are you using a Condenser ?         
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »
Best of luck with your project. I think the biggest problem you might have is the boiler certification for 2100 PSI. Most Antique Engine shows won't allow much over 100 Psi boiler pressure. It's all about insurance. Will The SCTA/BNI Insurance allow you to run a pressure vessel of  that high of pressure ? The whooosh of steam would be very cool on the salt. Are you using a Condenser ?         

Barber-Nichols Steamn' Demon was a high pressure steam turbine, I suspect that they had at least 2100 PSI but if John Ferrero is lurking out there, he can tell us more about it....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:52:07 AM »
The Steamin' Demon was a leaker. As pressure built excess liquids dropped to the ground. You will not be allowed to do this in the starting area used by the 499 participants.

DW

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:14 PM »
The steam powered reciprocating 'record' will differ from the Turbine held steamin' demon in speed, but there appears to have been no distinction by the SCTA as to the power unit type and therfore classification.  Build a car and the weight will put it in any one of three classes.  Has there ever been a steam powered two wheeler anywhere in the world?   

Of course the readers of this forum would expect me to say that the FIA acknowledged two way (and one time outright world record) speed of the stanley steamer should be a four wheel target - which is the one the British Steam Car project will be hoping to exceed by a handsome marging when aiming for 200mph with a turbine arrangement in '08.

The British Steam car people have had to reorganise after the death of Frank Swanson and they will use Don Wales (grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell and a former driver of the So Al Camaro) as test driver and they stated this week that they will be at Bonneville in 2008.  Are the SCTA ready for this car at Speedweek?  I would bet it exhausts some water at all speeds.

Malcolm

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
Has there ever been a steam powered two wheeler anywhere in the world?   

All you would need is a sidecar and you would have a trike.

(JK 198)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:23:48 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

*Andres Segovia

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:11:02 PM »
Johnny that's all you need, a boiler between your legs.  THen you really would be Hotnuts!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:49:48 AM »
Tom G and Romero,

Take note of the previous two posts!! Looks like an opportunity for the White Goose Bar Team.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 12:41:57 PM »
Johnny that's all you need, a boiler between your legs.  THen you really would be Hotnuts

My hotnuts could be used to SUPER heat the boiler.....On that bike I could put Andy G. to shame.

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Burk

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 01:29:14 AM »
This 1884 two wheel steamer is my favorite because I have a bicycle like the guy started with .

http://www.stanleysteamers.com/photoalbum/gagan/1884-Copeland.jpg

John  Burk