Author Topic: types of chassis welding  (Read 4771 times)

Offline hmiller

• New folks
types of chassis welding
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
HI- I AM NEW TO THE SITE- A FRIEND OF MINE HAS BOUGHT A BELLY TANK AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING INTO DESIGN IDEAS FOR CHASSIS ETC . ANOTHER FRIEND OF OURS TOLD ME THAT THE FRAME HAS TO BE TIG WELDED- I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT VARIOUS BUILDS ON THE SITE AND SEE THAT SOME CHASSIS WORK BEING DONE WITH MIG WELDERS- IS MIG WELDING ACCEPTED FOR CHASSIS AND OTHER  AREAS OF THE CONSTRUCTION- ENJOY THE SITE AND HOPE TO GET STARTED SOON. ALSO HOW CAN A PERSON GET AHOLD OF A RULE BOOK WITH INFO AS TO CLASS, ENGINE SIZE ETC- THANKS AHEAD OF TIME -CHUCK

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: types of chassis welding
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
Joe Timney is the resident car welder guru from what I know. His contact info can be found here:
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=13

Item #2 on this page has info on getting a rule book:
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=19

Hope this helps get you started. I'm on a bike & not a welder so I'll refrain from giving you further advice!  :-D

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
  There are many vehicles running with mig welded chassis. Nothing forbids it. Just have somebody that is competent do it. Owning a welder does not make one competant. I believe they DO NOT ALLOW THE WELDS TO BE GROUND. I would get a current rule book before I started.  Good luck and build it safe. Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:13:26 AM »
2007 SCTA-BNI rulebooks are available from the USFRA.

www.saltflats.com

DW

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »
Not only must the welds be unground, be sure you don't grind the tubing either.  When he teched me at the last meet, Keith noticed some grinding on the tubes in my cage and I'll need to correct that.  I nicked them with the grinder when I was notching them to fit around adjoining tubes.  Oops!

Later
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Geo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »
At what part of racing can I paint the roll cage? 

As I am building it?

After my first tech inspection?

Never?

It does not matter and I can do a mural or a portrait or a modern splatter or psychedelic or a nude, yes!

Geo

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
Yes on the nudes!  :-o

Sorry, couldn't help myself
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »
Chuck,
As far as I  can tell it doesn't matter what your choice of weld is.  It just needs to look clean and sturdy.  Do not grind whatever your choice.  That speaks for half of the integrity of the weld.  At my old job I had many of our our welders tested for pressure vessel certification and most of the beautiful looking welds passed.  Not always, but they more than likely would have kept your head attached in a crash.          If you feel comfortable in your skills with a certain type of weld, stick with it.   

Paint it when you feel like it, just no Bondo.