Author Topic: 3/8 rod ends??  (Read 3790 times)

Offline bharmon77

3/8 rod ends??
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »
I bought a set of Anglia style spindles from the Chassis Shop in Michigan and they were shipped with steering arms drilled for 3/8" bolts. I bought the better quality chrome molly rod ends for the spindle ends of the tie rods, the other end of my tie rods are 1/2" to fit the rack and pinion unit. Will the 3/8 rod ends pass tech on my lakester?

Still chiseling away in Ohio!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 3/8 rod ends??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:05 AM »
All the rod ends in our lakester are 1/2 inch or larger.  I did see a REMR with 3/8 at Speedweek, they were looking for a replacement to repair an issue.  Sounded like they were planning to go to larger parts after they got home. 
I would not be comfortable with anything smaller than 1/2....
It is not really about what will pass, but if you have to ask, there is doubt in your own mind if it is stout enough for 200 MPH....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:06:33 AM »
Thank you for the common sense reply it will be easy to convert to 1/2" I made my own tie rod ends and I can make new steering arms. Your experience is appreciated.

BHarmon

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
If you are going to build your own steering arms think about building a double shear arm.  Most of the Anglia style spindles come with single shear arms, with double shear arms it’s a safer way to mount the rod ends.  On my Anglia spindles I built the double shear arms by incorporating a second arm from the bottom of the spindle.   
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
Thank you, I had considered that idea earlier and got lazy, I still think that it is a good idea and would not be difficult. Will seriously reconsider, I would like to maintain reasonable control of the car!

BHarmon

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
Great ideas Maruromic- have thought about the same.

Something REALLY important, no matter what size rod end is used- and I think the high end $ 3/8ths would be adequate under most conditions, but ABSOLUTELY recommend 1/2" for all other already posted reasons, is the extreme care that MUST be taken in assuring FREEDOM of MOVEMENT of the rod end through the ENTIRE steering cycle. It might mean CAREFULLY bending the steering arm(s), adding washers, and by all means using the CONTOURED safety washers that Mezeire makes. One must make sure t hat there is no BIND in the sytem. Things can break.

Luckily, I didn't lose one of my very best friends twenty years ago in a drag car I'd built for NOT paying attention to the arc the arms go thru and the kingpin inclination.

And we still talk to each other! (Built him three other cars, since).

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Thank you for the reply, I have used the contoured safety washers on most of my suspension pick up points and they do work very well. I did buy them from the Chassis Shop catalog and I do need them on the outer tie rod ends to free up the steering.

BHarmon

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
 :-D I pondered the same question. After thinking and rethinking, I chose to go with 5/8" Hiem Joints. 3/8" is much too small, 1/2" might be OK (depending on your vehicle weight) so go with 5/8" and be safe!!

If you must error, error on the side of safety.  :wink:

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
I just noticed this tread and vaguely remember that I had to replace the 3/8" ends on my front end with 7/16".  Not sure when it was, maybe early or mid 1990s but do remember having to replace the radius rods and steering rods from the rack to the steering arms.  I also have the same type of steering arms (Mark Williams are the same as the Chassis Shop) that came with 3/8" holes.  Ended up drilling out the holes and upgrading to 7/16" ends.  This may have been a tech request as I don't see any rule requirement.  It was a good idea to go larger.  Never had any problem either way but makes you feel better.

Don
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
Overkill is better in our chosen form of racing- I remember seeing the PUNY rod ends on Champ Cars some years ago at the Long Beach Garnd Prix and thinking OMIGOD!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)