Poll

What is your opinion of developing new classes for NASCAR type cars?

Yes setup new classes for NASCAR type cars.
15 (25%)
No Need for New Classes they can run Time Only..
45 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......  (Read 29297 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
OH BOY !
If this NASCAR deal fails, what am I going to do with all these Legend Cars that Fern sold me and I was going to rent out ? :oops:

Just Great!!!

Keep These Comments Coming, As We Need Something To Remind Us Of How Funny You Aren't!!!!!

MAXX2RACING

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

REMARKABLE

"Don't date out of your species."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2007, 08:12:15 PM »
Since this thead has taken a turn toward elcamino's and rancheo's, I have a question for Dan. In the rule book under classic and gas coupe it states that the vehicle must have been originaly pruduced with seating for 4 adults. Are the elcomino's and ranchero's put in these classes because they are more like cars than pickup's or can they run MP or PP?

We'll chime in before Dan. As noted by "Former" President Bill Clinton, an El Camino with Astro Turf in the bed is perfect for two, therefore, 2 seats in the cab, 2 seats in the bed. Total====

Seating For Four.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the Subaru Brat yet...

dwarner

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »
El Caminos and the ilk are based on car chassis not a body specific chassis. There is nil interest in running an El Camino against a Camero if you have the desire to compete heads up.

The interior square footage of an El Camino is equal to the interior of a the front seat area of the car it is based on. As has been said before, we have a rulebook, we don't make your choice of vehicle. Because you have it doesn't mean we have to make a class for it.

DW

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
Re: DWarner last post and last sentence of .

That clarifies things, 'cause I was wonderin' and gettin' ready to drag the SUBARU 360 coupe out of the brush behind the shed (there's a small tree growin' thru it) and petition SCTA for MY class!

Shucks!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

dwarner

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »
This has moved so far off topic I am done with it.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »

Because you have it doesn't mean
we have to make a class for it.

DW

My long-time mechanic Jon Nalon, who has been
crew chief for more than 30 SCTA Bonneville records,
had a fine suggestion in the early 1990's: 

Just have a record for each INDIVIDUAL.

Only YOU could set the record in your class,
and only YOU could break the record.

No worries about classes , rules, displacements or fuels.

Just YOU.

With only one class per person, we might
actually wind up with FEWER records "in the book."

And it took you about 17 years to pass that on .  Just think of all the pain that would have been avoided if you would have remembered it sooner ,

Sum

Offline tortoise

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
El Caminos and the ilk are based on car chassis not a body specific chassis. There is nil interest in running an El Camino against a Camero if you have the desire to compete heads up.
I note that the Modified Mid/Mini Pickup Truck class description in the current rulebook is illustrated with a "truck" based on the VW Rabbit/Golf. I find no language saying that Modified Pickup Truck would not similarly allow El Caminos and Rancheros. Has the question ever been raised?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »

My long-time mechanic Jon Nalon, who has been
crew chief for more than 30 SCTA Bonneville records,
had a fine suggestion in the early 1990's: 

Just have a record for each INDIVIDUAL.

Only YOU could set the record in your class,
and only YOU could break the record.

No worries about classes , rules, displacements or fuels.

Just YOU.

With only one class per person, we might
actually wind up with FEWER records "in the book."

And it took you about 17 years to pass that on .  Just think of all the pain that would have been avoided if you would have remembered it sooner ,

Sum

I'm guessing senility did not set in till now and it only now seems it like a good idea to Scott....
would probably save him a bundle of cash...
It is the only explanation I could think of....  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
I note that the Modified Mid/Mini Pickup Truck class description in the current rulebook is illustrated with a "truck" based on the VW Rabbit/Golf. I find no language saying that Modified Pickup Truck would not similarly allow El Caminos and Rancheros. Has the question ever been raised?

So I guess that at the bottom of page 58 rule 5.D Modified Category where it says "El Caminos & Rancheros meeting the requirementswithin this catagory WILL compete in the appropriate class"  doesn't explain it enough?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tortoise

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2007, 12:04:07 PM »
So I guess that at the bottom of page 58 rule 5.D Modified Category where it says "El Caminos & Rancheros meeting the requirementswithin this catagory WILL compete in the appropriate class"  doesn't explain it enough?
You guess correctly. Both Gas Coupe and Modified Pickup Truck are in the Modified Category, so to say El Caminos compete in the "appropriate class", without specifying what said appropriate class is, gives us no guidance whatsoever. If it's self-evident that they are cars and not trucks, what about the Rabbit?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
I guess common since don't count. The rule 5.D.5 says "Samples of allowed trucks include but are not limited to; Chevrolet C series, Ford F series and others".
I'm sorry but El Caminos are not considered trucks by the SCTA. As for the Rabbit.... shoot it!  :-D 
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tortoise

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
I guess common since don't count. The rule 5.D.5 says "Samples of allowed trucks include but are not limited to; Chevrolet C series, Ford F series and others".
I'm sorry but El Caminos are not considered trucks by the SCTA.
Don't be sorry; actually I agree that it would be unfair to class them as trucks.
As for the Rabbit.... shoot it!  :-D 

The rule 5.D.6 says "Samples of allowed trucks include but are not limited to; Chevrolet S-10, Ford Ranger, and Nissan and Toyotas". I guess consistency don't count.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:05:19 PM by tortoise »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
The rule 5.D.6 says "Samples of allowed trucks include but are not limited to; Chevrolet S-10, Ford Ranger, and Nissan and Toyotas". I guess consistency don't count.
[/quote]

I think the Rabbit is in the same league as the others mini trucks listed even though it was a car too, no?
Michael LeFevers

LVMAXX

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:08:17 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2007, 02:58:49 PM »
I think the Rabbit is in the same league as the others mini trucks listed even though it was a car too, no?
Maybe more or less, but that's beside the point. A 1949 Studebaker is in the same league as a 1948 Studebaker, but it can't compete in Vintage Gas Coupe. If the Rabbit is a legal MMP, then so is this . . .