Poll

What is your opinion of developing new classes for NASCAR type cars?

Yes setup new classes for NASCAR type cars.
15 (25%)
No Need for New Classes they can run Time Only..
45 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......  (Read 29303 times)

dwarner

Re: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 02:36:17 PM »
Richard,

When you built the El Camino from scratch why didn't the build comply to the existing rules?

DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »

Just read 2007 rules in Modified category 5.d pg.58-63. I don't see anything about no 4wheel or all wheel drive.

JL222

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2007, 02:50:05 AM »
Just read 2007 rules in Modified category 5.d pg.58-63. I don't see anything about no 4wheel or all wheel drive.

It is not in the class rules, but in the general regs Section 2 Competition Requiremenst and Specifications, page 21, part 2P.  Four wheel driver
Four wheel drive systems are allowed only in Special Construction Catagory, and Production Catagory, where the competing vehicle was originally equiped with four wheel drive.

Larry

LVMAXX

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:09:27 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
The hatred towards the cars themselves is obvious.

Their might be some people on the site that don't like them, but hey some don't like motorcycles, some don't like cars/bikes that set slow records, some don't like the fast cars, some don't like roadsters, etc., etc. etc..  Not much you are going to do about that.

I think you are missing the point and that is most people don't like the idea of new classes for this type of car and don't see the point in it.  Once raced and modified to run on the salt they wouldn't be NASCAR cars anymore and there are plenty of classes now for modified cars.  Buy a NASCAR chassis and put another body on it.

I haven't heard one person object to running one of these cars for time only.  Eventually I'll run my truck (in avatar) on the salt.  It doesn't fit any class.  Will I expect a class to be created, no.  I'll run time only and be real happy.

Oh, by the way I enjoyed the NASCAR race Sunday even if my driver didn't win,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
"rather buying a car ready to go. Sounds like what one does with a Nascar Car?"

The point of the comment was that one builds salt cars and those venue specific cars may be passed around. The cars mentioned were built in amature garages not some shop in Charloette. You didn't answer my El Camino question yet.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2007, 12:28:53 PM »
OH BOY !
If this NASCAR deal fails, what am I going to do with all these Legend Cars that Fern sold me and I was going to rent out ? :oops:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

LVMAXX

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:10:01 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
Hate is avery strong word. It shouldn't be thrown around where it dosn't belong. I don't care for NASCAR races as seen on TV. I think the cars are amazing, I just don't care for the rules. I don't think SCTA should invent a NASCAR class just because you have a car and think it would be fun. That's not the way it works. My main objection is defining a "NASCAR" car. As I said before, is this just Cup cars? Southwest tour cars are very much different from Cup cars. There are lots of "NASCAR" series. Which one runs and which don't. Just cars like yours are legal? It's a poorly thought out proposal. I don't hate it, I just don't like it.

LVMAXX

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2007, 01:57:15 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:10:36 AM by LVMAXX »

LVMAXX

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:11:41 AM by LVMAXX »

dwarner

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »
"Also, please note that El Camino’s, Ranchero’s, and other similar truck/car body shapes do not have a class of their own (Sound Familiar?"

Page 58, not needed. This rule is not stopping Bill Ward's El Camino build.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »

Camino’s, Ranchero’s, and other similar truck/car body shapes do not have a class of their own (Sound Familiar?????).

What sounds familiar is the desire to build without regard for established standards and then expect the SCTA, an association of hundreds of people, to conform to your plan. After you left home and mom, life stopped working that way. El Caminos have a class. Why would they need thier own class? Granted, it would make setting a record eaiser. Remove the side skirts and other unacceptable items and run with your class.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:40 PM »
Since this thead has taken a turn toward elcamino's and rancheo's, I have a question for Dan. In the rule book under classic and gas coupe it states that the vehicle must have been originaly pruduced with seating for 4 adults. Are the elcomino's and ranchero's put in these classes because they are more like cars than pickup's or can they run MP or PP?
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

LVMAXX

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:12:26 AM by LVMAXX »