Poll

What is your opinion of developing new classes for NASCAR type cars?

Yes setup new classes for NASCAR type cars.
15 (25%)
No Need for New Classes they can run Time Only..
45 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......  (Read 29302 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: NASCAR cars and the SCTA.......
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
Star-- While that sounds like a good idea to me, I don't know where you heard it. Could you point out the exact spot?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »
Just wondering if you've seen this?
Racers are racers whatever they run.

RUSS WICKS SETS NEW WORLD STOCK CAR SPEED RECORD IN NASCAR-SPEC FORD AT BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah, July 3, 2006 — World speed record holder Russ Wicks established a new World Stock Car Speed Record in a NASCAR-spec Autodesk Ford Taurus of 222.623 miles-per-hour at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.   The previous milestone of 216.946 mph was set nearly 35 years ago by Bobby Isaac.

Wicks, of Seattle, Washington, is now the only living driver to have set official speed records of over 200 mph on land and water, as he also holds the mile record for propeller-driven boats of 205.494 mph, set June 15, 2000 in the Miss Freei unlimited hydroplane on Seattle’s Lake Washington.

“This has been nearly a year in the making and we overcame a number of hurdles to set a new world record,” said Wicks, whose American Challenge Team will continue to embark on a number of speed record breaking initiatives.   “I’m ecstatic to have been able to set a new stock car record at Bonneville.   There is so much history associated with the Salt Flats and to be able to join the list of speed legends that have set records here is certainly a dream come true.   I could not have accomplished this without the incredible support of my family, team and Autodesk.   We’re looking forward to our next speed record breaking challenge coming in the near future.”

Wicks’ stock car record was certified by Mike Cook, Chairman of Bonneville Nationals, Inc., and was run in accordance with FIA timing and scoring standards for speed records.   The Autodesk Ford Taurus, an ex-Jimmy Spencer superspeedway car, and run under the direction of PTP NASCAR team owner Chris Diedrich, was in accordance with all current NASCAR Nextel Cup stock car templates and specifications.

Time-trial rules dictate that the test speed must be achieved past a one-mile timing point along a “track” on the salt, as well as a return trip within one hour, with the official speed being the average of the two runs.   The average speed of the run down the course was 223.229 mph, with a return run average speed of 222.020, for an official overall mile average speed of 222.623 mph.   Despite an engine failure on the first day, Wicks set the record on his first attempt.   Isaac’s previous record was also set at Bonneville, in a NASCAR-spec Dodge Charger Daytona on September 12, 1971.

Wicks’ latest record is part of his ongoing American Speedking television series, which will begin airing this Fall and feature a behind-the-scenes look at the American Challenge Team’s pursuit of setting new world speed records.

About American Challenge
American Challenge is a consortium of successful business leaders, innovative technical engineers and motor-sport professionals focused on breaking the current world water speed and land speed records.   The team is founded by Russ Wicks who is one of few people to have traveled over 220 MPH on both land and water.   During 2000, Wicks broke the longest-standing major speed record in motor sports history, and became the fastest person ever to take a propeller-driven boat through the measured mile.   For more information, please visit: www.AmericanChallengeWSR.com

About Autodesk
Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK) is a Fortune 1000 company, wholly focused on ensuring that great ideas are turned into reality.   With seven million users, Autodesk is the world's leading software and services company for the building, manufacturing, infrastructure, digital media and wireless data services fields.   Autodesk’s solutions help customers create, manage and share their data and digital assets more effectively.   As a result, customers turn ideas into competitive advantage by becoming more productive, streamlining project efficiency and maximizing profits.

Founded in 1982, Autodesk is headquartered in San Rafael, California. For additional information about Autodesk, please visit: www.autodesk.com
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »
Hayabusas are road race motorcycles. You know, turn left and right and there are LOTS of places to race them.

Are you guys saying we should not let them run? Cuz thats what I'm hearing...

BS, you are wrong.  Hayabusas are street bikes and they already have a class, no one had to make one for them to race
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

black star

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »
Sorry, forgot that this is a split from the earlier 6 page thread.

The basic comments are:

Nascar vehicles are made to turn left so having them run straight is unnatural, hence a car running a straight line setup (no stagger, extra weight, etc...) is no longer a nascar vehicle.

There are many, many places where a nascar vehicle can compete so why should we make room for them on the salt where runs/time/events are limited.

Hence my extrapolation to "Hayabusas are road racing bikes with lots of places to race so if the arguments are valid regarding why a nascar vehicle should not be given a class to run  in then why are we allowing Hayabusas to run?

Of course, I think Hayabusas should be allowed and that those arguments against nascar vehicles being allowed are just sour grapes.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
"Sour Grapes ?" "Hidden agenda ?"
Are you kidding ? What is sour or hidden ?
That is every bit as carnival as the claimed "World Speed Record".
Did I tell you about the "World Speed Record" I hold with a bowling ball and certified by representatives of the U.S. Military ? :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 10:45:10 PM »
So if they are running old NASCARs why not run in Oval Track, just open a part of that class that now has VOT and MVOT.  Maybe NASCAROT...
Personally I don't plan to run one, but I also think if folks want to race one, then go for it. 
I'll bet USFRA would host a NASCAR race at WOS if someone approached them with an idea...
Hey if a dozen guys want to race round-de-round cars in a straight line, one at a time, I'm not the guy to stop em... I'll leave that to the trained professionals....

BS, Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they run nascar cars or not, don't care if they set their own "official records".
I just like to land speed race, I like the cars and bikes that show up, the hot rodders innovation, the things people try, whether they work or not.  Do I think racing a car built for another venue is the spirit of LSR, NO, do I think there are too many car and bike classes already, YES!  I've been doing it a while, but I am not a SoCal insider, nor am I an SCTA fan, too insider protective and secretive, but it is almost the only game in town...
So I bitch and complain, and if necessary, change classes so I can race.  I would suggest that anyone that can't live with the class rules most vehicles must adhere to, read Special Construction. 
Then go fast, be safe and have fun
Stainless

LVMAXX

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:59:45 AM by LVMAXX »

dwarner

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
"What is SCTA going to do when none of the current production cars can run in Modified classes without prohibitive modifications in their design?"

With less than three Production class records set at Speedweek it appears that in order to hold a race meet the SCTA does not need current production cars.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
"Streamliners that cost "Mega-Bucks" were built by back yard amateurs"

Yes, its true. Every car I have raced was built in a garage by amateurs. "Mega Bucks" is not needed. What is needed is desire, talent and a willingness to make a sacrifice for a sport you love.

Try it sometime.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
I gotta tell you Larry. While I was waiting out the wind at El Mirage, didn't see you racing btw, I looked once again for your rule change suggestions Whoops, didn't see one again this year.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:29 AM »
Dan!
Stop reading from my notes and get back in line.
Are you one of those that is stacking the votes with more votes than voters ?
Add NASCAR and delete 2 others and I guess Production would be a natural first place to start.
I never ran Production anyway except for the FOB Honda I gave to a kid that set 2 records.
Vintage Oval Track could be another.
Perhaps an age limit or time served would do some good.
Shall we say 60 years old for entrants with a minimum of 30 years running ?
That otta begin to reduce the field to the most sincere.   :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:48 PM »
A quick view of the poll on this topic seems to indicate that 75% of the active racers do not want to see a NASCAR class. I can stop working on that now.

DW

LVMAXX

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 12:29:39 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:00:18 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »
Need to reset the vote so that a member is allowed one vote, and one vote only!

Richard and Judy/MAXX2
MAXX2RACING

Try to stuff the ballot box, it allows 1 vote per member....
Stainless

Offline desotoman

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »

RUSS WICKS SETS NEW WORLD STOCK CAR SPEED RECORD IN NASCAR-SPEC FORD AT BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS

Wicks’ stock car record was certified by Mike Cook, Chairman of Bonneville Nationals, Inc., and was run in accordance with FIA timing and scoring standards for speed records.   

WOW, that statement can be very misleading. For those of you that don't know Mike Cook does FIA meets on his own, and they have nothing to do with Bonneville Nationals Inc. It just so happens this year he WAS Chairman of BNI. Mike resigned his position at the October meeting.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.