Author Topic: Motorcycle rules meeting  (Read 20677 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Motorcycle rules meeting
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »
Since Jon is an SCTA member, I suspect he gets the proposed rules to cast his vote, I'm sure Dan wouldn't leak any secret info to the media....
Dan, let's have a beer later....
It will be like being at the same place only different...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
Wow, that last part sounded Dolanish...
I better have a beer now...
Breakfast of champions...
Stainless

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »
"usually in December or January a pack of proposed rules is presented to the board and voted on"

Those would be the rules for the previous year, right?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2007, 10:47:14 AM »
Just on the surface it would seem the degree of trust in the MC rules development system is lacking among those that are most affected.
The % of those that read vs post and the % of forms submitted to rules changed and total entries is interesting also.
In summary, it seems that most of them keep their heads down if their own class is not on the block, one way or another.
If you really want to get "Back to your roots" like has been expressed, then you can look forward to the MC field being reduced to an invitation only for friends deal or perhaps being kicked to the curb all together. :roll:

" It is always easiest to ride the horse in the direction he is going."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hulagun

• New folks
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:52 AM »
Little Gunter would crapinzie in his pants of he rode our Express. When we first got it even though it ran OK it wouldn't pull more than 24-25 MPH at sea level. Apparently in 1955 they didn't know allot about porting 2 strokes and the importance of the exhaust tuning etc... After modeling the engine in a 2 stroke sim, porting the crap out of it, welding up the head and machining a new combustion chamber, re-timing it, boring out the carb and fabricating a new rear sprocket we got it to almost 10,000 rpm and 44 mph at sea level. That doesn't sound fast but trust me, riding that thing at 44 MPH will make you see God. It has a trailing arm front suspension but no dampers. Rear has none either.

Can someone tell me how a motorcycle with no damping in the forks got by tech? My 2007 rulebook says damping is required. BTW I was there on the salt when the Express was disqualified for the spray bottle water cooling. The Express effort was an inspiration. I am bringing a  PUAB (previously unseen at Bonneville) small bore vintage bike to Speed Week as soon as I can complete it... unless this 70MPH rule goes into effect. Fork damping is one of the challenges I am struggling with.... a lot of pre-1956 motorcycles didn't have damping...

landracing

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 04:39:43 AM »
Are you talking about no steering dampner or no dampning in the steering forks?

Jon

John Romero

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
Can someone tell me how a motorcycle with no damping in the forks got by tech? My 2007 rulebook says damping is required. BTW I was there on the salt when the Express was disqualified for the spray bottle water cooling. The Express effort was an inspiration. I am bringing a  PUAB (previously unseen at Bonneville) small bore vintage bike to Speed Week as soon as I can complete it... unless this 70MPH rule goes into effect. Fork damping is one of the challenges I am struggling with.... a lot of pre-1956 motorcycles didn't have damping...

I guess I should clarify my earlier post. The express does has a rudimentary friction damper system. I just consider it as no damping since it works about as well as not having any. Nothing works as well as modern telescoping forks and I guess we are spoiled.

As to the spray bottle cooling getting us kicked out of impound, well, what can I say. Tom was right. We were running it in production class and had the bottle mounted to the bike in an externally visible location. In the end It didn't really matter as we just removed it then went back out and set the record again. No worries. 

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
Are you talking about no steering dampner or no dampning in the steering forks?

Jon

By dampers, are we meaning shocks? :?

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline hulagun

• New folks
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi again, yes I was talking about fork damping. My P-PV bike has an archaic fork design that did not have hydraulic damping as we know it (no friction damping either).

I did speak to an SCTA m/c Tech guy about this and he said they had never encountered this issue. I'd sure hate to set a record, then be disqualified or protested over such a minor matter, but I have seen first hand how logic does not always prevail when interpreting the rulebook.

I lean towards just running the standard fork and hoping the tech inspectors, if they actually check for it,  will assume that the significant stiction is damping.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »
Production.... appear identical in all respects to the model it represents...  as produced by the manufacturer.... you should be fine with what was produced.  Add the required safety equipment and hope for a tail wind...  :-D
Stainless