Author Topic: Motorcycle rules meeting  (Read 20681 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Motorcycle rules meeting
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »
I have some rules like that and they last longer than records usually. Traction control was not one mine though and it died a natural death.
Their is no shame in racing at what seems to be slow to others, the real reward comes in beating your equal.

"Real results are only real if there is a real comparison, otherwise you are just making it up as you go."  (me)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 02:34:21 PM »
I have mentioned this before.

It is my(mine only) that if a race track is sorta parralle to an Interstate Highway, lets pick a number out of a hat.

Good choice Dan. Now lets consider that records must be in excess of the posted speed limit on said Interstate.

Simple math,

Jack?

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »
Even simpler math is the minimum speed limit for a roadway to maintain safety.
Why should everybody be required to run the maximum ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
Scott knows all those answers, but others may not, and strive to reinvent the wheel.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
Logical extension of that rule should remove from the records listings all records below 70mph and with it take away the #1 and associated Life Membership for those that abused the system.
I can think of 1 already. :wink:
If the object is to prevent "abuse of the system", then eliminating records slower than 70 mph won't do it. The 100 mph Omega class minimum, for example, would easily allow for sandbagging beyond anything seen in the past. If the object is just to speed up the meet, the question of how much time is actually lost to tiddlers is a reasonable one. Does anyone have an answer?

Small displacement bikes are a great part of motorcycle sport and its history, and legislating them out of land speed racing would be a loss.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
I have mentioned this before.

It is my(mine only) that if a race track is sorta parralle to an Interstate Highway, lets pick a number out of a hat.

DW

Sorry Dan,

Can not agree with you on this one. In the 2003-2006 Rule book 50cc Production Vintage, there is a open minimum for our class at 37 mph at El Mirage. Now that we went to the effort to build a bike for this class and have run it for the last couple of years, yesterday I am told at El Mirage while teching the bike, there is going to possibly be a change in the rules, where no record can be set unless it is 70mph.

What is going on? We did not make up the rules or the minimums in the 2003-2006 rule book. But now all of a sudden we need to go twice as fast to set a record. Sorry but that is just downright bullshit. This is where the SCTA gets into trouble. They publish one thing for 4 years in the rule book, and no one runs so it is OK, but when some one finally puts a bike together for that class and runs in the 30+ mph range, it is time to change the rules.

Does the SCTA want to buy our Bike since it is basically putting us out of contention for a record? The only reason we built the bike was because it was listed in the rule book. As far as performance goes our 1956 Vintage 3 cubic inch bike has attained a speed over 35 mph which is close to 12 mph per cubic inch. So do we prorate all classes and say Vintage Flathead 4 cylinder Gas Roadsters must run over 140mph since they have close to 200 cubic inches? Where do you draw the line? Just because we do not run at a street legal speed we are going to get penalized? Like I said this is bullshit.

And for those of you that think we take too much time, we hold the fastest record for getting off the course of any vehicle that runs through the timing lights. Also you have never had to come and tow us off the course because of driver error like may of the cars that run.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:48:15 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »
I think most of the "SLOW" real racers get it better than some of the "FAST" ones. :roll:

"Speed is relative, even the "POOR" relatives deserve recognition." (me)

OBTW: Poor ,obsolete NASCAR racers are only related to themselves, and cross breeding won't make it better.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
That's it.
If you can't run more than 70 mph you are banned from racing.
If you spin and hold up the race you are banned from racing.
If you drop parts you are banned from racing.
If you fall off and we have to pick you up banned from racing.
If it takes you more than 2 minutes to get to the finish you are banned from racing.
If it takes you more than 3 runs to set a record you are barred from racing.

That oughta cover it!!!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »
That leaves just me!
I like your style. :wink:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
ya know what tom.... I feel your pain, under other proposals and discussions on Saturday night, of which we missed seeing you… I will have “4” yes “FOUR” bikes I currently own “THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RACE” ….and 13 records I will not be able to obtain…. I am planning to sell them and I recommend you sell your bike and buy one you “CAN” race. I was being polite when I gave you the comment about having a rule named after you. But you were the only people laughing and boasting you have the slowest record in the book, that didn’t bring the same kind of chuckles to the car board....it certainly didn’t help when your rider took his hand off of the handlebars to wave at the timing trailer during a pass at Bonneville.....so ya did what you intended to do.. ya got the slowest record..... And ya pissed a few people off on the way.... time to move on...anybody wanna buy a bike?
love ya
kent

bak189

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 07:38:58 PM »
10cc...20cc.....30cc.....40cc.....50CC......60cc.......70CC
..80CC......100CC
Bring the bikes to the ALL M/C BUB Meet in 2008

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
10cc...

I've seen model airplanes with engines bigger than that!   :-D

Anyone care to enlighten us on the potential rule changes, or do we all need to buy bikes we can't run first?!

Where does it stop though?  Should there be a requirement that BG and BF records have a minimum of the unblown record?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »
You can kiss all the bikes goodbye with the 400mph+ cars that are already gone.
Remember all of the "Car Heroes" that started on a bike ?  RIP
Soon, the Flat Earth Society will be gathered around the only Fuel Roadster left on the planet and Speedweak will be the most appropriate description.
Save the Salt has taken on a doable project this time.

That was the objective wasn't it ? :roll:

ENJOY
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:19:35 PM by JackD »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

so ya did what you intended to do.. ya got the slowest record..... And ya pissed a few people off on the way.... time to move on...anybody wanna buy a bike?
love ya
kent

Kent,

Thanks, you have enlightened me with some facts I did not know happened. (rider waving) So this comes down to revenge for pissing some people off? What a great way to run an organization. Obviously a few of my partners have done some stupid stuff,(there are 4 of us) and I apologize for that. But is that reason enough to harm anyone else that is thinking about running in this class? I don't think so, but that is my opinion. If the SCTA is mad at our project punish us, not Joe Public.

You are right, it is time for me to buy my partners out and campain the bike like it should be, or sell it completely.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:03:36 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Just got on this topic and I'm trying to get off of the floor from falling down with laughter regards Scott Guthries comment:

"how long between runs whan a car spins and drops parts"

Definitely got my funny bone -  as I sit in my flatland So Cal living room inhaling smoke -hopefully not coming from my  brother's Lake Arrowhead home.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)