Author Topic: LSR 94-98 Ford Mustang  (Read 8743 times)

Offline SteveD

• New folks
Re: LSR 94-98 Ford Mustang
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
I can come up with the HP and if we don't do it we will turn up the boost and hope for the best.  It can't be any less aerodynamic than some of the cars running 6-71 type blower but our turbo should be alot more effeciant and better inthe earo dept.   Yes I know the trans am is a better body but I will try it anyway.  I don't want to do a Ford motor in a GM body...it's against my nature.  I'm more worried about the down force on the rear end and making it stick..............Later 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:47 AM »
.............  It can't be any less aerodynamic than some of the cars running 6-71 type blower but our turbo should be a lot more efficient and better in the aero dept.   ......................

But are any of them running anywhere near 300??

...................  I'm more worried about the down force on the rear end and making it stick..............Later 

Yep lots of weight.  You will probably have to be 6000 lbs. or more.  The more HP the more weight you are going to have to have, so a car that needs 1800 HP to run 300 is going to need more weight than one that needs 1400 to run 300.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »
The Camaro had a 14-71 blower sticking out of the hood and 555 inches to be a AA. Tougher to do in a Mustang of that vintage. Actually if you look vehicles with under 500 inches seem to fair better. Giant blowers and giant hood scoops make for bad coefficient of drag. Ask the guys who take them off. Notice the Rains and Kugal cars have no protrusions sticking out of the hood. That you tell you something along with the cubic inches used....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
Just curious why would you put such a big blower through the hood.  Wouldn’t a twin turbo set up be more efficient and more aerodynamic?  They  can get over a 1000HP out of a small Honda engine with a single turbo, so a big AA motor should be well above that.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »
Just curious why would you put such a big blower through the hood.  Wouldn’t a twin turbo set up be more efficient and more aerodynamic?  They  can get over a 1000HP out of a small Honda engine with a single turbo, so a big AA motor should be well above that.

Agreed, but which one looks meaner???  Some guys will give up getting a record for nostalgia's sake.  We were lucky enough to get a record with a roots blower, since that was what Hooley was going to run, but a turbo car will have it someday or one with a screw blower,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »
As I remember, the 14-71 was put on because Dave had it.  Yeah, it looked awesome, but it was so big that Tonya was concerned about driving the car.  If she drove the #1 course -- where turn out to the right is okay (left is "I need help") -- she wouldn't be able to see where she was going 'cvause the blower was in the way.

Also the combination made too damn much horsepower -- the car wouldn't hook up.  That's why K & D and crew removed the blower and installed the bottle.  I don't remember if the Camaro set a record with the blower, though, but might have.

They were pitted about two cars from us -- and spent most of SpeedWeek wrenching.  Where's the fun in that?    I mean, SpeedWeek is for visiting with other racers, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com