Author Topic: Formula Vee – Could I Run?  (Read 6514 times)

Offline mortiki

• New folks
Formula Vee – Could I Run?
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:04:07 PM »
Hello, Just a quick question:
I road race a vintage Formula Vee on a regular basis. I would like to do some runs on the salt. No record braking type runs. Just bring my car out and see what it will do in the configuration it’s in. Top speed would be about 120-125.
Is there any class that would allow me to do this with out major modifications to my existing car?
I have a SCTA rule book, and from what I can tell the only class that I would fit into is Lakester/Unblown Gas. For the most part I could meet all of the requirements for this however it looks like the big issue would be roll cage. My car currently has one continuous roll hoop braced forward from both sides. The rules for open cockpit cars look like they require a duel hoop cage.
I visited the races in august and it looks like a great event with good people. I would like to take part but will not change my car from its current vintage configuration.
Is there anyone that I could talk to that could grant exceptions?
Any other issues that I may face?

Thanks for you thoughts on this subject,
Jeff

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Formula Vee – Could I Run?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »
You will have to comply to the rule book. Exceptions are not made for safety restrictions. Full fire system, fire suit etc. that is required for the class. The two hoop systems is required on all open vehicles. Best thing to do is visit a meet and see what others have done.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
Contact USFRA, www.saltflats.com.

They run a 130/150 MPH club event in conjunction with the World of Speed event held in Sept.

This is a standing mile to a 132' timing trap. If you are in the 130 MPH range there are very few chanmges that need to be done to compete.

DW

Offline mortiki

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »
Thanks for the responses.
I will contact the USFRA. Their web site indicates that the 130 club is for street legal vehicles. So that may not work.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
I don't think the 130 Club is restricted to street-legal vehicles -- witness the M/C-engined go-kart that was running last month.  130 Club doesn't require roll cage, for instance, nor much of the other safety equipment that is required in the 150 Club.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
They run bar stools and luges for Christs sake. How "street legal" are they?

DW

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »
Oh yeah!!! and three cars chained together.

DW

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
I'd like to see a picture of that!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
If you think a photo of the "train" -- the three cars all hooked together (front car had the engine, rear car had the brakes, middle car was just there for the sake of having something between front and rear) -- would be cool, think about this:  A few years ago I saw them run (on the 130 Club course) and it (the car/cars) spun out!  Geez, talk about an exciting ride for the guy in the rear car. . .

This year it was just the Eldo (front car) that ran.  Nonetheless, it's a visual treat -- and auditory, too, what with the locomotive whistle/horn inside...and those eight straight stacks sticking up through the hood.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:04 PM »
Them Utah boys and girls know how to have a good time, you will enjoy racing with them in the 130 club.  Caution, it will just make you want to go faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster.... well you get the point, go have fun, be safe, go fast
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O