Author Topic: Partial Streamlining Rule Proposal  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Partial Streamlining Rule Proposal
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
Please suggest specific modifications to this proposed rule change or correct errors.
7.F.4 Front Fender
All fenders must be . . .
Front fenders may not project forward of the front edge of the wheel rim. Front fenders may not be lower than a horizontal line drawn through the front axle centerline.

7.F.11 Class “M” modified production frame class, Streamlining:
1. Streamlining is defined as any devices or objects which have the apparent purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling airflow around the machine or rider.

2. No streamlining is permitted forward of the rider other than a front fender.

3. Streamlining is permitted behind the rider.
a. OEM bodywork for the specific production model are allowed. Bodywork shall be mounted in a conventional manner and all bodywork pieces must be mounted in their original relationship to each other. Replacement non-OEM bodywork must be an exact replica of the OEM parts. Documentation to verify conformation of non-OEM parts to OEM parts must be made available to the inspector by the competitor.

b. The following rules apply to motorcycles not using OEM components (or replicas of those components), or using bodywork on a production model that was not originally equipped with those parts.
i. No portion may extend below the top most portion of the wheel rim behind the centerline of the rear axle.
ii. No portion may extend beyond the rear edge of the rear tire.
iii. No portion may be higher than 36 inches above the ground with the rider seated on the bike.
iv. No portion may interfere with egress. Pockets or recesses that may trap a portion of the body are not allowed. This rule takes precedence over all others.
v. It must be possible to see the rider completely from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet. If removal of the bodywork would allow any additional portion of the body to be visible from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet it is not allowed.
vi. It is forbidden to use any transparent material to avoid the application of these rules.
vii. Bodywork must have a minimum of three (3) separate mounting points.

7.F.12 class “MPS” modified production frame, partial streamlining class, Streamlining:
1. MPS allows streamlining forward of the rider.

2. In addition to the rules in 7.F.11, these rules apply to MPS:
a. It must be possible to see the rider completely from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet except for the hands and forearms. If removal of the bodywork would allow any additional portion of the body to be visible from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet except for the hands and forearms it is not allowed.
b. No portion may extend below the top most portion of the front wheel rim ahead of the centerline of the front axle.
c. No portion may extend forward of the front edge of the front wheel rim.

7.G.11 Class “A” special construction frame class, Streamlining:
See section 7.F.11.
In addition to those rules, these modifications are allowed:
1. No portion of the rear bodywork may extend more than 8 inches beyond the rear edge of the rear tire.
2. No portion of the rear bodywork may be higher than 40 inches above the ground with the rider seated on the bike.

7.G.12 class “APS” special construction frame, partial streamlining class, Streamlining:
See 7.F.12
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Partial Streamlining Rule Proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »
Dean
Read the last paragraph pg. 1 of the 2007 rule book. Did you follow this rule and have it submitted by this coming due date. SCTA has asked everyone to follow the procedure for years and thats why they have a proper and official form. I am not trying to be nasty just asking a question so others know the proper way to do it. It's been a problem for a long time and rules don't get changed on this web site. Suggestions are great but the procedure needs to be used.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
Thanks Glen, I'm doing just that. I already have it written up to submit. I'm looking for anybody that can improve it before submitting it. I have two other changes written up also to help clarify other issues.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »
7.F.4 Front Fender
All fenders must be . . .
Front fenders may not project forward of the front edge of the wheel rim. Front fenders may not be lower than a horizontal line drawn through the front axle centerline.

Dean,
This eliminates a lot of fenders except the ones found on some sport bikes
are you also changing or eliminating 7.F.4.1 Front Fenders
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 01:23:06 PM »
Dean
Glad your getting involved...
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »
Other than my concern with the front fender if I understand what I'm reading, the basic premise here is to say if you can't see it with the body on and you can with the body off from the same view then you have an illegal bike.  I think that is probably the intent of the original rule.  Not the x-ray vision view.

Will the above view be with the rider crouched in his best tuck, sitting up on the bike or every possible riding position (not nit pikin, just thinking out loud)

Who will determine what recess or part "may" trap the rider, it is already the what ifs that plague us.  Maybe a line like
Riders may be required to demonstrate the ability to egress the bike.

Good job

I think the Front Fender rules allow innovation that should not be restricted.
Stainless

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
many stock fenders extend beyond front edge of rim......lets not make that
illegal..........

Joe

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »
I won't get to it until tomorrow morning, but I will add the OEM verbiage to front fender. I was trying to separate the fender from the rest so it was less confusing. Not intending to change the intent. Or was it there was no intent to change the intending? Hmm.

Will the above view be with the rider crouched in his best tuck, sitting up on the bike or every possible riding position (not nit pikin, just thinking out loud)

All of the above. If you can manage to hide something, and your competitor provides a picture, then you aren't legal, are you?

As far as pockets or recesses, they provide two functions, to hide portions of the body, and to hinder egress. No? I wouldn't be concerned if this causes you or anybody else some small amount of work, if we can get to a place that everybody likes.

Don't forget, the object of every competitor is to circumvent the rules to go faster.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 04:59:08 PM »
Dean, I would like to suggest to you that the front fender portion needs no change or clarification.  I think the full front fenders that you see on a lot of bikes is an innovation that should not be eliminated for the future competitors
Are you trying to eliminate fenders like these?  If so why
Stainless

Offline joea

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
Dean..etal....please lets not create rules that allow for some things
legal stock, then when you go to a modified class that encourages more
innovation you have to castrate the stock pieces........stock bikes shouldnt
be allowed more streamlining...........

but as Kent said....thanks for being involved.......

fwiw.....creating rules change request forms in short order without ample dialogue and
informed input can be as frustrating as not consistently enforcing good existing rules.......

Joe :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »
"Demonstrated history should be used to identify potential problems for the future."

The problem has not been some of the rules, but the methods the rulers use to research, apply, and change them.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:03:49 AM »
7.F.4 change deleted. Stays the same.
Changes in bold italics
Please suggest specific modifications to this proposed rule change or correct errors. This goes in the mail in a few hours.

7.F.11 Class “M” modified production frame class, Streamlining:
n1. Streamlining is defined as any devices or objects which have the apparent purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling airflow around the machine or rider.

2. No streamlining is permitted forward of the rider other than a front fender.

3. Streamlining is permitted behind the rider.
a. OEM bodywork and fenders for the specific production model are allowed. Bodywork shall be mounted in a conventional manner and all bodywork pieces must be mounted in their original relationship to each other. Replacement non-OEM bodywork must be an exact replica of the OEM parts. Documentation to verify conformation of non-OEM parts to OEM parts must be made available to the inspector by the competitor.

b. The following rules apply to motorcycles not using OEM components (or replicas of those components), or using bodywork on a production model that was not originally equipped with those parts.
i. No portion may extend below the top most portion of the wheel rim behind the centerline of the rear axle.
ii. No portion may extend beyond the rear edge of the rear tire.
iii. No portion may be higher than 36 inches above the ground with the rider seated on the bike.
iv. No portion may interfere with egress. Pockets or recesses that may trap a portion of the body are not allowed. This rule takes precedence over all others.
v. It must be possible to see the rider completely from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet. If removal of the bodywork would allow any additional portion of the body to be visible from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet it is not allowed.
vi. It is forbidden to use any transparent material to avoid the application of these rules.
vii. Bodywork must have a minimum of three (3) separate mounting points.
viii. Front fenders may not be lower than a horizontal line drawn through the front axle centerlie.

7.F.12 class “MPS” modified production frame, partial streamlining class Streamlining:
1. MPS allows streamlining forward of the rider.

2. In addition to the rules in 7.F.11, these rules apply to MPS:
a. It must be possible to see the rider completely from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet except for the hands and forearms. If removal of the bodywork would allow any additional portion of the body to be visible from either side at the level of the handlebars and directly above the helmet except for the hands and forearms it is not allowed.
b. No portion may extend below the top most portion of the front wheel rim ahead of the centerline of the front axle.
c. No portion may extend forward of the front edge of the front wheel rim.

7.G.11 Class “A” special construction frame class, Streamlining:
See section 7.F.11.
In addition to those rules, these modifications are allowed:
1. No portion of the rear bodywork may extend more than 8 inches beyond the rear edge of the rear tire.
2. No portion of the rear bodywork may be higher than 40 inches above the ground with the rider seated on the bike.

7.G.12 class “APS” special construction frame, partial streamlining class, Streamlining:
See 7.F.12

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
However valid the rules or changes might be, look at how many people are involved from end to end that don't agree.
Think about why, and the nature of the change with how many it affects.
Just the obvious errors it creates sends a message about the credibility of the program.
With no accountability, isn't that the trouble it is in now ?  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Black Star

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
IMO, the current problem is based on a new interpretation of an OK rule. The existing rule was not written perfectly but it is obvious how hard it is to write one that is perfect. This should be brought up in front of the whole board at the next meeting and insist on knowing the reasoning why it was changed. If the board did not know about it then ask if it will continue as is or revert back to the old way. Kent already said he would be doing this and I think he is 100% correct and will net the best result.

A more aggressive method to force a resolution is to run in the "illegal" mode and set a record, then when it is disallowed, contest it and take it before the board. That would force the board to vote on the validity of the record and would set a very clear precedent for the future, good or bad. It would force the board members to make their position clear in an official roll call vote.

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:29 AM »
Dean,

I have the change forms you sent. I will make sure they get to the proper persons at El Mirage.

DW