Author Topic: sidecar changes  (Read 34226 times)

bak189

Re: sidecar changes
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »
At least it proved one thing to the BNI officials
that our sidecar driver Larry Coleman had no problem exiting the outfit (there had been some
talk, regarding being able to exit the outfit safely)
When Larry shifted into second gear and the Turbo came on boost.....it broke the rear-wheel
adjuster on the chain side.....causing the rear-wheel turn somewhat sideway..............................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2007, 12:04:18 AM »
yea i watched the video many times and always thought it was 1st to 2nd wheel spin --every time i shift from 1st to 2nd i do it very slowly never saw that the chain adjuster brake the video wasnt that clear --yes he exited without restriction    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
I'm back in the north end of the globe and catching up with the latest news on the sidecar rules. BAK189 left out a class a few posts back, SCS. I'm sort of late getting to this, but the "platform" that "could" carry a passenger is of interest to me. My liner has a reverse wing shape between the bike and outrigger wheel of adequate size to meet the dimentional rule, however hand holds and some reinforcement to the upper surfaces will be required to have a 5'7" 160lb person climb on board and havago. As a streamlined sidecar is this what will be required to pass tech?

bak189

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Welcome home..............Not sure....but I believe you will have to have at least the platform size with SCTA/BNI............BUB no problem...just the 60kg ballast.
If I recall McLeish's sidecar liner had a "wing" that met the plarform size when he raced with SCTA/BNI.
Check with Russ at SCTA and he will get back to you right away!!!.......................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2007, 11:50:40 PM »
peg leg i can only answer for the scta rules that i follow --the platform has to be 12 in by 32 in and must support the weight of a kneeling forward faceing passenger of 5 ft 7 in  170 lbs  --you dont have to carry a passenger and only enough ballast to make the vehicle stable  what you need is a rule book --the o8 updates can be found at this site on the home page  --if i can help e-mail me   thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »
If those paying attention at the rules meeting will recall (I think you were there Willie)... the new platform clarification came about because people were obstructing a clean platform with NOS bottles, lead weights, and one guy had a ton of electric boxes mounted on it....the intent of the original rule was to have a clean platform that "would" accommodate a passenger... when racers "crowded" this area a "clarification" was adopted and presented at the rules meeting and received unanimous vote by committee and non committee members in attendance... IMO a curved platform or an airfoil would be acceptable as long as you don’t mount "crap" on top of it... you can mount it below it, but not on top....
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
kent i was at the rules committe meeting --there was some talk of clutter on the sidecar platform and everyone looked at me as i had a NOS bottle electric fuel pump and solenoids mounted on my platform (a real disadvantege aero wise) but i was still within the rules --my platform would still support the weight of a forward faceing passenger --the rule change only added kneeling and size and weight of 5 ft 7in and 170 lbs --at tech last year i demonstrated that it could be easily done --i weigh 174 lbs and am 5 ft 11 in and will kneel this year rather than stand --as far as i know unless you guys passed some secret rules the only sidecar rule that changed for 08 is the one im discussing here -i see no rule that says i cant mount a NOS bottle a fuel pump a ice chest or anything else as long as i can kneel face forward and weigh 170 lbs and am 5 ft 7 in tall --- i will always go out of my way to stick to the rules if i missed something show me where it says so--  i spent a year listening  to people talk about the unwritten rule and the spirit of the rule  most of them were just making stuff up  --  sorry about the spelling    willie  buchta
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:29:13 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta