Author Topic: Helmet and Seat belt rules  (Read 13954 times)

Offline SteveD

• New folks
Re: Helmet and Seat belt rules
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:50 AM »
We do NHRA and AHRA racing and we will be ready.  The LSR people seem to be more relaxed on saftey.
SteveD
in Houston TX

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
We do NHRA and AHRA racing and we will be ready.  The LSR people seem to be more relaxed on saftey.
SteveD
in Houston TX

What makes you say that??

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 10:15:38 AM »
I used to race NHRA, after they teched the car, they could care less is you had your seat belts on and tightened. They were more concerned that you had your windows up. The starters at the salt, are a lot more concerned about your safety than the boys at the NHRA events, even a national event.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 10:32:38 AM »
Your take on "relaxed" seems a little confused, and is not a good place to start.
Each organization has it's own requirements that are dictated by the conditions.
AHRA is really relaxed because they have been dead for years. :wink:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:17:46 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 05:27:38 PM »
SteveD
in Houston TX

I have to question if you have ever been to a LSR event. I have some drag racing back ground and have never seen the attention to safty that SCTA has. All you have to do is look at the window nets on TF Funnycar or Pro Stock to see that they probably don't do alot. Also you never see a drag racing official checking to see if you are straped in the car correctly.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
Quick question fer ya.  I got a Snell M2005 helmet at the beginning of this year and at the first Maxton meet the tech guy was making a big deal that it was an 'M' helmet and not an 'A' helmet.  Seems most people I talk to have 'M' helmets and the racing gear companies push them and even design them for the car guys.  So, what gives?  Do you think the 'A' helmets are that much better?
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

dwarner

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »
It is my understanding that the SA, Special Application, helmets are made to different standards than the M, Motorcycle, helmet. These differences include Nomex lining and crush standards among other specifics.

Jack?

DW

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:33 AM »
Dan you are right about them being different for those reasons and others.  Also some of the newer car helmets have a air pouch built in to lift the helmet off gently with a air pump when you are unconscious without damaging anything in the neck or spine. It was mandated by some of the professional series.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 02:36:43 AM »
The testing from Snell is very much the same for both SA and M .
The MC lid has an additional test it must pass that simulates a puncture from  sharp object like you might hit on contact with a guard rail or metal edge on yours or another vehicle.
The tight fitting fire skirt got manufacturers in trouble when after a crash, the driver would upchuck and the fluid could not escape and went into the lungs.
The flat back that was so aero revolutionary for awhile, was found to contribute to neck trauma when it caused the head motion to accelerate as it turned in some crashes.
It was designed and patented by an SCTA racer.
Snell is not the only good standard and all of them learn as they go as does SCTA.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »
I was told at speedweek that a M helmet was acceptable in cars, but the A helmet was not acceptable for bikes.  Of course it seems a lot easier to find the M, lots of bike shops everywhere...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »
SCTA has it appropriately covered in their rules but clarification from Snell and consistency in inspection will improve the result.

dwarner

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 01:20:36 PM »
I believe that the SA helmet as used in cars does not the same "roll off" standard as the M. That is the reason M helmets can go both ways.(California reference here)

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
With the SCTA required fire retardant head sock, the M is a good choice for most applications in part because the selection and pricing is more competitive with simular materials and standards.

LVMAXX

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
 :-D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:14:36 AM by LVMAXX »