Author Topic: new power / old car  (Read 2982 times)

Offline revolutionary

new power / old car
« on: October 10, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »
We just got our engine back from the Engine Masters Challenge and are looking to take it to Maxton in Oct.  Somehow, our buddy Chris Henderson has volunteered his car (since it's legal) for us to make some passes with this engine.  He can't attend but I'm sure many of the folks will recognize the black 59 4 door Jaguar.  No nitrous this time, but the SBC 406 made 622hp with 10.5:1 and a solid flat tappet cam on pump gas so we might still get some good times.  At least I might get some good licensing passes!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline desotoman

Re: new power / old car
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:46:03 PM »
Good luck, you will do better than you think.

How did Gene Adams and Danny Miller do in the challenge with the early model hemi?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »
They did really well.  The little hemi made good power and I want to say finished around 9th or 10th place right next to Ron Shaver.  They were really nice guys and I managed to pump Gene for some great info as I have plans to play around with nitro in the near future.  We didn't fare so well, losing a head gasket and 20 hp during the scoring runs.  We slipped from a 7th to 12th place finish.
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 09:28:18 PM »
Dropped the engine in the car and performed traction tests in the parking lot today.  Unfortunately the asphalt did not create enough traction to limit tire spin so we were forced to do burnouts.  I know, nobody likes doing those and it's not really any fun so we stopped after several sets of black rubber marked the ground :-D
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:43:06 PM »
Love the smell of burnt tires in the mornin.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:59:47 AM »
They did really well.  The little hemi made good power and I want to say finished around 9th or 10th place right next to Ron Shaver.  They were really nice guys and I managed to pump Gene for some great info as I have plans to play around with nitro in the near future.  We didn't fare so well, losing a head gasket and 20 hp during the scoring runs.  We slipped from a 7th to 12th place finish.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you had problems. I wish you better luck next year.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »
Well we managed to survive the weekend unscathed.  Had a really good time - big thanks to the Turks, Timneys, tech from Scott et.al. for putting on a fun event.

We accomplished our goals for the weekend and could not complain.  The car and engine ran perfectly, a little rich on Sat but just right on Sun.  I bumped up my license and ran a 169 and change on Sat holding back a little but still hitting the B/CGALT record pretty hard and my friend Shannon went from rookie to B license letting it all hang out and running 179.8 on the A/CGALT record.

Seems we should have just kidnapped Chris Henderson and forced him to come for the weekend as everyone was asking where he was or if we bought his car.  What a guy to let us take his car and beat on it for the weekend.  Thanks to Chris.

Daryl
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:47:54 PM by revolutionary »
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:57:13 PM »
Chris,

Way to go. Congratulations.

Tom G.