Author Topic: Is this an acceptable cat to skin  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Is this an acceptable cat to skin
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:09:20 PM »

I dont know if anyone else is using this setup or if it would be a good or bad idea but I would like to use the Strange/Anglia spindles with 15" drag wheels and tires and a drag type rack and pinion setup.

I have found this company called http://chassisshop.com/ that has a ton of suspension, searing and setup stuff.
Anyone ever buy stuff from them?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Unkl Ian

Re: Is this an acceptable cat to skin
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
How does their price of spindles compare to the common streetrod stuff ?

And can you fit disc brakes on Anglia spindles ?
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:53:42 PM »
Anyone ever buy stuff from them?

I have purchased their products several times over the last 5-6 years for sandrail projects.  All dealing were good.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:39:14 AM »
I have used the Chassis Shop many times over the years and had only one small problem in shipping.  (It was sent air and I didn't need it that fast.)  They made an adjustment and I was happy.

I also use a front end with Mark Williams spindles (which are just about the same as the ones you are considering), a Stiletto rack and pinion and 15" Weld spindle mount wheels.  This has been on my modified roadster both as a front engine and now rear engine car since the early 1990s.  They have always worked great.  A lot of these were used on 80s and 90s funny cars so they aren't just for dragsters.  You may want to consider using the rack and pinion that is made to turn slower than the drag race one.  I don't remember the ratios but seems to me that it is about half as fast as a drag rack.  BTW I have a drag rack and it isn't a problem for me but then I don't go that fast.

Good luck with your race car.

Be fast and go safe,
Don
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 10:48:34 AM »
Johnny Hotnuts

Living in Michigan, I try to do business with local shops when I can.  I have used quite a number of Chassis Shop products and had no issues.  Quality parts, quick shipping and Friendly service.
If you go to the Anglia spindles make sure you use steel parts rather than the older aluminum spindles. 
Brake installation can be an issue, but if your car is just for the salt, rear wheel brakes only are not a problem.  I think the slowest steering is the way to go with any salt car.  None of us gets enough seat time to not overreact just a little bit.

Rick

Rick

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
Johnny,
Chassishop is a first class operation. I have used a ton of there stuff on my street rod and plan to use their spindles and rack and pinion on my lakester too. Good place to get aerotubing and 4130 tubing. Good people, good products.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
Johnny,
Chassishop is a first class operation. I have used a ton of there stuff on my street rod and plan to use their spindles and rack and pinion on my lakester too. Good place to get aerotubing and 4130 tubing. Good people, good products.

Rex

I don't know if they sell the rack and pinion that I'm using (picture) and others are using, but it comes in a slow landspeed racing model. 20:1 Stiletto Box (for B'ville cars ) with 5/8 X 36 splines.

I got mine direct from Woodhaven Enterprises -- 815/732-2806 who makes the box.   They were good to deal with and it was less than buying the same box through a distributor.  They will also work with "clocking" the body to the angle you want it, although you can also change that angle yourself.  They will tell you how.

Give them a call,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
Sum:
They have a 20-1 ratio rack and pinion. I will see if I can get it cheaper from Woodhaven. Looks from the pic that it is the same unit.

Here is a pdf of the fab section of their catalog. I am getting one of those slick butterfly wheels as well.

http://chassisshop.com/pdf/008-033Fabrication.pdf

BTW:
From your pic I dont understand how your steering will work. I am sure you do but I cant figure it out.
Do you have any pics of the front end more complete?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smallest diameter wheel I can find is a 22".
I am not concerned about bearing speed because of our relatively low achievable speed with the current motor. Is there any wheel tire combo out there that is commercially available with a smaller diameter....without having some aluminum disc wheels made?

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 06:23:09 PM »
Sum:
...................From your pic I don't understand how your steering will work. I am sure you do but I cant figure it out.
Do you have any pics of the front end more complete?...................

There are a couple pages:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-54.html

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-55.html

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-58.html

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-59.html

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-60.html

I hope it works, seems to point the wheels in the right direction when the shaft on the rack and pinion is turned.

Post lots of stuff as you build your new front-end.  I'm kicking around a lot of ideas to make my body and I'm open to suggestions.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
Be careful with spindles that are designed for light weight in Drag Racing.
Remember they will never see the duration, weight, and pounding like an LSR car.
There was a well known driver of a back motored dragster style lakester with a ground effects body.
It got a little sideways (remember pushing a rope) and it flew.
The first broken part we found was 1/2 the steering spindle that featured trick looking counter sunk allens.
The real trick was when you looked where they broke in the cross section , there was very little material left to hold it together.
We gave 1 to the driver and kept the other one for future refrence.
The information was forwarded to the supplier and the Aluminum parts were taken out of production.

'Don't look where you fall , but where you slipped."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jackson

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
The slower the steering the better a far as I'm concerned.  I hit a big crosswind with the tires loose this year and made a snap turn of the wheel until the arm restraints cut me off.  This happened at the speeds you are running.  I'm sure there are drivers that can, but I'm guessing I wouldn't be one that can do a 150 mph drift with steering that reacted like I did.  From the timing stand or the radio, all went well, and I contribute that to the slow steering. 

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »
Jack: noted.
The structural spindle components will likely be funny type and not rail.

Sum: In the pic you posted I could not see the (I think) 3/4" square bar that triangulates the bell crank assembly. After reviewing the pics on your site it is clear how it works. I liked how you have the 3 holes for the steering arm and as I am sure you know moving the rod to in inside hole will raise your steering ratio....this may be a common practice for this type steering setup but is the first time I have seen it. Will try and use something like this on my steering setup.

*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 11:19:09 PM »
Sum:................this may be a common practice for this type steering setup but is the first time I have seen it......................

"Common practice", I haven't seen it before, but it probably has been done.  Will it all work??? Only time will tell  :|,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »
Drilling the holes now to try a change later, sure beats never knowing.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"