Author Topic: New Guy- New Bellytank Lakester  (Read 51136 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: New Guy- New Bellytank Lakester
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
Chaz, so glad to see you posting again!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

dwarner

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Have you tried to reach those fire bottle pulls with gloves on? Looks a little tight to me.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
Most of those tight cockpits (mine included) don't have spinning things exposed in them..Once again good work....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
I'm not sure I fully understand whats being discussed here, but there are no spinning things or engine parts IN the cockppit. I've attached a photo that may make it clearer. There is a space between the front motorplate and the actual firewall of about four inches. The timing chain and damper pulley are in this area.
  You can see the firewall easily in this photo. I hope it makes more sense to everyone now. The only things passing through the firewall are a steering shaft and some fire system tubing.

Dan, The fire system pulls are pretty easy to reach even with heavy gloves. One is pulled with the left hand, one with the right.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:59:04 PM by Chaz »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
Chaz ---are you guys running a GV with freewheel or an  over running clutch between the RA and the Trans?  you might want to talk to Johnson the C record holder.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »
Chaz....you guys are to be commended....looks like a fly'in military pea pod with a sharks mouth 'an a fin pull'in up the rear, and ought to rock and roll when you get it done.....just kid'in about the pea pod.  Wast'in time....not in my shop!  ...spent part of the night trying to figure out what the "H" I am do'in in Kansas City (20 degrees) to begin with and secondly why my Christmas decorations are goin off and on.....and third....designing a bracket for my newly acquired collection of Ford inertia switches and then fourthly I check out landracing for the latest and get on your thread.  Holy Smokes... I'm done for the night, it's going on 12 midnight and I spent the last two hours becomming a member of your build team....you guys have every right to be proud....first for staying together....and second for doing a great job on what will be a top performer at the flats!  Congratulations to all!  Keep up the great work!  Can't wait to meet you guys in person and see your lakester in action! 
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Chaz

• Bellytank Build
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
We cleaned the car up a bit and screwed on all the body panels to get an idea of what this thing is gonna look like.
  We would have liked to roll it outside for a picture in natural light, But up here in the Northwest it will probably be spring before the snow melts enough to move ANYTHING!
  The chutes, brakes, fire systems, steering and such are all done. It looks like we will be on the salt this year. It'll be a shakeout year for sure, so we arent expecting any great speeds.... But we'll get to play, and that's the important thing to us.
 Here's a link to the build if you're interested.
http://kaparich.homestead.com/Bellytank.html

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
Indeed, that's a nice-looking car, Chaz.  We'll look forward to seeing it in person, whether running full-out or just on a shakedown pass.  Or even in the pits and in inspection.

Nice, nice.  So - where in the northwest are you?  Your identifier and avatar don't give me much of a clue.  If you're in the Northwest -- are you going to the NW Reunion on February 21?  It's a good time -- a bunch of folks will be there, Nancy and me included.  We look forward to seeing you in person soon -- wherever.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
Jon,

They are in Montana..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
Well, there you have it.  It's only a two and a half state ride to get from Montana to Portland.  No big deal -- a day or so in the car and viola, they're at the Reunion.  How about you and Michelle, John.  You two gonna be at the dinner?  It's a fine weekend, for sure, for sure.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
Jon,

No Michelle and I are not able to make it..I am sure it will be a good time to be had.   :cheers: :cheers:

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »
Chaz---WOW---cant wait to see it with paint and on the trailer ready to go---look forward to seeing it on the salt!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chaz

• Bellytank Build
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
Chaz---WOW---cant wait to see it with paint and on the trailer ready to go---look forward to seeing it on the salt!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Sparky. You've been a great supporter all along, and we sure appreciate it.
 Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »
Surporter maybe- :?--inspired for SURE!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline Chaz

• Bellytank Build
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
For the last couple weeks we've been working on the exhaust headers for our bellytank.
 We talked with a lot of guys about exhaust header theory, and decided that the theory we liked best was from a fellow landspeed racer ... "Just get the exhaust the hell out of there"

Since space is so limited in a bellytank the setup is a bit unconventional.
We started with a set of header flanges and a box of 1 3/4 inch mandrel bends.

The tubes turn into a flat plate,

Dana cut a section of 3 inch tube that will accept that plate. It runs in a horizontal direction

Finally two 3 inch ports were welded to the horizontal log

Its kind of a strange looking setup. but the gasses will be pulled from the tubes by the air rushing by the body as well as the exhaust pressure itself.
 We smoothed everything out, and then I went outside in the middle of a freakin' snowstorm
to sandblast the unit. That was pretty miserable.

Here's the end result after a coat of header paint  We're pretty happy with them.

For a full look at the project, you can go here.
http://kaparich.homestead.com/Bellytank.html