Author Topic: New Guy- New Bellytank Lakester  (Read 51134 times)

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: New Guy- New Bellytank Lakester
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »
Great stuff.

I was of woodwork background myself (dad a woodturner) and so had a woodwork mentality to our tank project as well. But over the past four years I have learnt a huge amount from Dr G about welding, metal prep, etc., and now love the metalwork too.

I guess you could call me bi-material.

Keep up the good work, I am jealous of your shed too, but the Lady Hedgash and I have just put a deposit on 50 hectares (138acres) of land west of Melbourne with a couple of sheds already and NO NEIGHBOURS for a least a kilometre so I can angle grind all day long and store as much junk as I like...

Reverend H+

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 08:09:12 AM »
Thank you for posting the pictures, great progress. Building a car from scratch is like running a marathon at some point you will "hit the wall" with no light at the end of the tunnel. Keep the faith, if you get discouraged just look at some video clips of Bonneville on youtube, it helps me. My question is what is the width of the Weld wheels that you show in your pictures? I was considering 5" because the back space dimension is enought cover my brakes. Your wheels looked to me like they might be 5"?

BHarmon

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »
FWD?   is the Quick change set up where you can put the ring gear on either side of the spool to correct the rotation?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »
Where are you new guys located???
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
From the posting about his shop -- Missoula, MT
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 08:32:01 AM »
Dec.  Picts.???????????????????
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Patience, grasshopper... Actually I forgot to take the camera out to the shop last week. I'll do better this week, I promise.
  Actually I'm really flattered to know that someone is actually following this build. THANK YOU! :roll:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »
Following it keenly.

But now that you have given us a taste you have to keep up supply.

I hate being turned away from the site with the disappointment of junk sickness... especially when its such good quality gear.

Reverend H+
The go-faster Pastor

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!  :-)just got a "partial" Dec. Lakester build fix- :-D--yes Master "grasshopper" expects more ---after all it is nice to give-- :-)

Offline t russell

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
Nice car outstanding shop or( visa versa.)
all cool

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »
  Actually I'm really flattered to know that someone is actually following this build. THANK YOU! :roll:

add me to the list.....

Now , I'm curious ....are you drawing straws for the driving order???? I notice there's a couple of you pitching in....personally I'd be collecting a vial of snot from the sickest person you meet this winter and infecting your co-owners the week before Bonneville otherwise there'll be trouble when it comes to getting enough runs in........ :wink:

now , don't you go getting any ideas Rev' :evil:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »
Sure hope you will need more "DRY" time soon----just love and admire your progres----when you guys get through with the canopy---it really going to start looking like a car...keep up the great work its inspiring!!!!! :-)

Offline Dr Goggles

Countersinking sheet
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 09:52:01 PM »
I was having a gander through your build site and noticed your countersinking mandrel idea....we had a similar quandary....Initially I built a mandrel from a huge pin so it had enough inertia to handle being belted , it is the main part of the device below.This was really a two man job when we were working on the body and doing it to holes on the vertical plane was dodgy because if the alignment was out the result was usually anywhere but straight and holding the heavy mandrel straight was hard for someone with spindly little arms.During the week at one point when I was working on the tank on my own I had an idea that involved attaching a guide for a punch that I could shape and use in the air hammer , that is how you see it below. It stopped the problem of lining up the punch and the mandrel , saved me a hand and also because it used an air-tool it meant the surrounding area took less of a pounding as it made rapid powerful short movements as opposed to the kind you get from a hammer blow....the throat could have been bigger but next to that it has been perfect for nearly every countersink we've done on the body.....

Yes Sumner it too is rusty , you want I should paint it? ............I guess at a pinch we could also use it for piercing ears......

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:57:45 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Countersinking sheet
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »
I was having a gander through your build site and noticed your countersinking mandrel idea....we had a similar quandary....Initially I built a mandrel from a huge pin so it had enough inertia to handle being belted , it is the main part of the device below.This was really a two man job when we were working on the body and doing it to holes on the vertical plane was dodgy because if the alignment was out the result was usually anywhere but straight and holding the heavy mandrel straight was hard for someone with spindly little arms.During the week at one point when I was working on the tank on my own I had an idea that involved attaching a guide for a punch that I could shape and use in the air hammer , that is how you see it below. It stopped the problem of lining up the punch and the mandrel , saved me a hand and also because it used an air-tool it meant the surrounding area took less of a pounding as it made rapid powerful short movements as opposed to the kind you get from a hammer blow....the throat could have been bigger but next to that it has been perfect for nearly every countersink we've done on the body.....

Yes Sumner it too is rusty , you want I should paint it? ............I guess at a pinch we could also use it for piercing ears......

Neat idea and here I thought Australia was hot and dry,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

Re: Countersinking sheet
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »

Neat idea and here I thought Australia was hot and dry,

Sum
.................well , you nearly had it right , ....the women are hot , and the men are dry..... :wink: