Author Topic: New Guy Here  (Read 6144 times)

Offline simplybebop

• New folks
New Guy Here
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »
Hey guys my names Matt i live in NC, USA and have been trolling the forum for a while now trying to get some ideas from my build. I recently purchases a F15 eagle 600 gallon tank in hopes of building a car to run in some portion of the streamliner class with a unblown 1300cc engine if at all possible. I was wondering if you guys come answer some questions i have.

First of all ive read and have been following the bellytank builds in this section. About how much could you expect something like that to weight minus engine after completion?

Secondly I had planned on running Model A Front axle. Are there any hub upgrades that you know of to maybe run disk brakes.

Lastly I was wondering about running a Mazda Rotary Engine but i had heard from a few different people that some timing associations run a 3x rule on rotary engines making them upgrade to the E engine class instead of the H. Is this true?

thanks for all your help guys and i should have pics of my tank up on here soon.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: New Guy Here
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
Hey guys my names Matt i live in NC, USA and have been trolling the forum for a while now trying to get some ideas from my build. I recently purchases a F15 eagle 600 gallon tank in hopes of building a car to run in some portion of the streamliner class with a unblown 1300cc engine if at all possible. I was wondering if you guys come answer some questions i have.

First of all ive read and have been following the bellytank builds in this section. About how much could you expect something like that to weight minus engine after completion?

Secondly I had planned on running Model A Front axle. Are there any hub upgrades that you know of to maybe run disk brakes.

Lastly I was wondering about running a Mazda Rotary Engine but i had heard from a few different people that some timing associations run a 3x rule on rotary engines making them upgrade to the E engine class instead of the H. Is this true?

thanks for all your help guys and i should have pics of my tank up on here soon.

Welcome, are you planning on running Maxton, B'ville or both???

Weight at B'ville probably won't hurt you at Maxton it will. 

Speedway and others have disc. brake conversions for an "A" axle if you run 30?? to '46 ford spindles.  I'm doing that on my site.  I'm using Mopar rotors on those spindles and there are pictures.  I turned the rotors off though to just have hubs.  There again at b'ville I personally don't think you need the front brakes, but at Maxton I would have them.

I think you might be right about the rotary engine, but will let someone else jump in here on that and it would be hard to guess at your weight without a lot more specifics, but I would guess somewhere between 1400 and 2000 lbs. would cover most applications.

Why 1300 cc's when you would be in a 1500 cc class??

Good luck,

Sum

Offline simplybebop

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »
well i was going to run a 13b mazda rotary which is 1300cc, mild bridgeport to the tune of 230whp. I will gladly change engine classes if needed but thats just what i PLANNED on running. But as far as where im going to run mostly maxton to start with so yeah braking is a concern. But eventually when i get my setup right ill take to to bville and see what it will do. Not trying to break any records just want to go fast safely.

edit: id like to go as light as possible which means taking alot out of my tank, trying to use power/weight to my advantage
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:03:29 PM by simplybebop »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
The 2007 rule book does say:

For non-reciprocating engines the equivalent displacement ( ED ) will be calculated by the following formula:  ED+SV x 3 where SV is the Swept Volume.

c ya,

Sum

Offline simplybebop

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
yeah thats what i figured, but i still might run the rotary depending on a few things, if we can get worlds quickest NA rotary i would still do it. i also have a 2.3 ford engine in the shop that i might use.

really trying to run in a smaller engine class but big displacment isnt outta the question.

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:28:45 PM »
Don't worry about front brakes, you won't need them. A good set of discs on the rear will suffice for low speed driving. The chute(s) do most of the work.

Offline simplybebop

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »
well according to the rules i dont need a chute unless im running over 175??  without front brakes , and over 200 duals can be used if im not wrong. But i would really like some brakes at maxton the shutdown area isnt that big. As far as the weight option some of you guys with streamliners chime in , let me know how much your rig weighs so i can get some general idea.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »
After driving on the salt this year you could not pay me enough to drive any car over 100 mph without a chute, it took me a mile to slow down enough to turn off with breaks alone.

Dont know about the Maxton.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »
The record for class you enter in dictates the required equipment, not your expected speed.
Our lakester weighs about 1500 lbs wet plus driver (that number varies depending on the size of the steering dampener)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:12:41 PM »
After driving on the salt this year you could not pay me enough to drive any car over 100 mph without a chute, it took me a mile to slow down enough to turn off with breaks alone.

Dont know about the Maxton.

Do you have front brakes Hotnuts?