Author Topic: HELP! Need official Bonneville results from 1950, '52, 53, '54, '94, '94  (Read 3045 times)

velocity

Howdy salt racers. . . I am hoping someone on this forum can help me obtain a copy of Bonneville Speedweek results from 1950, 1952,  1953, 1954, 1993, 1994. The data is invaluable to me to sort out records and runs that will help craft narrative in the new Bonneville history book.  I have magazine articles, but prefer official results for a proper reporting foundation. Not as immediately pressing, but certainly hoped for are rule books from 1950, 1951, 1953 through 1957, 1960, 1962 through 1965 and 1968.

The manuscript is up to 224,795 words as of about 10 minutes ago. The project is drawing to a close, but I am long form done.

A number of racers have been very generous in sharing their cherished original photos, negative and slides -- most of which have never been published. A shout out of thanks goes to:

Gary Hartsock, Burly Burlilie, Bill Taylor, Jane and Al Teague, Duane Cole, Jack Lufkin, George Callaway, Don Stringfellow, Jim Miller, Tim Arfons, Bob Brissette, Marion Deist, Leah and Pete Farnsworth, Greg Peek, Bob Higbee's family, Don Garlits, Vic and Christi Edelbrock, Bruce Geisler, Pork Pie, Linda Herda, Kay Kimes, Larry Ledwick, Leslie Long, Ron Main, George Poteet, Betty Howard, Tom Medley, Zane McNary, Bob, Seabeck, Dave Petrali, Robert Rampton, Wil Edgar, Kenny Youngblood, Tom Fritz, Tony Waters, John Veenstra and Librarian Jane formerly of Road & Track Magazine who ran interference to get me the ENTIRE LSR archive going back to the 1920's. Ia m sure I have forgotten some one. . . , if so, apologies.

If you can help, please contact me off line. And, as always, I welcome photo submissions that are sharp, clear and well composed images that visaully tell the story of the salt in some small or large way.

Speedy Regards,  LandSpeed Louise

Offline dw230

Re: HELP! Need official Bonneville results from 1950, '52, 53, '54, '94, '94
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Records were not put into the rulebook until the 70s. One reason I abandoned my book project was that there is no known "official" records listing of the years you are looking for. As soon as you publish a record someone will disput it.

Good luck,
DW
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:33:45 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
HRM used to post the results IIRC.  Maybe some info could be found there..
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Okay, so I'll be the one to voice the obvious "dumb question": there's nothing available in SCTA annals/archives?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
Jack, The office moved many times and was sometimes located in volunteers homes. The only "historic" results are located in personal collections, which are shared for the most part, when asked.

The personal collections grew by "good friends" adding to them when they found remnants kept by maybe fathers or uncles who ran back then and were not thrown away They found there way to those who had collections of their own starting from when they ran.

Some liked to share and others thought they should "charge" for the priviledge. (unfortunate).

With names listed above I'm sure the collections I know have been viewed and copied....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

velocity

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
There WERE "official" results -- mimeographed pages (o, that smell) that were distributed daily and one for the last day when class records were set for the trophy presentation ceremony. I have several years of the original sheets. I am also aware of HRM along with other publications printing results, but I have found a few discrepancies with SCTA sheets and the publications.  I recall Wally Parks telling me that each entrant was mailed a copy of the official results and as he was the SCTA secretary for such a long time, I am inclined to believe his recollection was sound.

It is understood, that the SCTA results might have had errors that were corrected later (much as happens in modern times) but if I had to choose one source it would be the SCTA mimeographed sheets. This is what I am after.

I also have a few years with handwritten times from various racers who have donated original materials to me for historical safe keeping. The had written notes match exactly the mimeographed sheets, but could not use such things for documentation, only supporting reference materials.

As for rule books, there were none in the early years and I have discovered that the rules were so brief that they were able to be printed in the SCTA programs. I now have the 1949 and 1950 rules.