Author Topic: My CBR1000 A/F  (Read 76664 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: My CBR1000 A/F
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 03:44:34 AM »
Finished the new airbox a week or so ago and got it mounted also finished and mounted the MK3 fuel tank that had been a bit of a problem I had to mount that twice as I couldnt get the damm nitrous bottle out the first time

we are currently designing a nitrous throttle at the moment which if/when it works will do away with the need for a progressive controler pics will follow of actuator once complete.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 07:49:48 AM »
managed to get a few days of work this week so took the time to come in and do a bit on the bike so heres what I have done hope this aint gettin too boring

Look out for those pidgeons! ah well it was tricky to get in and it seems strong enough.

It welded up ok on the outside.

and looks ok on.

Hopefully it should get a bit of airflow through it and cool the electrical bits.

Mystery bit?

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline panchop

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:18 AM »
ya got skilz. I really dig the seat/tail piece.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »

Mystery bit?

Servo motor or sensor?  Yup, it's a mystery!

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 02:45:00 AM »
Thanks it was very time consuming the mystery bit thing is the first part of the nitrous throttle its a 3k potentiometer on a 2 cable return twist grip to be mounted on the left hand, that then goes into a biit of clever electronics that alters the duty cycle of the Nitrous/petrol solenoids from 0% to max whatever that be set at (the electronic bit is being made/designed by Adam Castell one of the lads that I work with only 22 years old but real clever fella) That should get rid of the need for a progressive controler and so long as the bike is in top gear wide open you can have as much or as little as you like when you like, you just have to keep all pipes after the solenoids as short as possible so the system cant resevoir in the tubes or you will lose sensitivity/controlability.

Thats my theory anyway makes sense to me from what ive read so far will let you know how it goes once its set up.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 03:27:40 AM »
 :-D Definately a lot of scills involved as well as inovation...  Keep the build coming, that seat pan is awsome, comgrats on your insite and ability...   Larry

I hope to run over 200 some day and extreme builds like yours are inspiring. I just need to do a lot more homework... :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
i see lots of nice work there --im a long way off but if i can help with anything let me know willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 04:13:26 AM »
Nice one Willie Much appreciated I have a head full of questions and ideas which I have no doubt will all come out bit by bit.
Thanks Oz

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:16 AM »
Just an update I have been a bit busy on the project and would like to thank Willie Buchta for all his help of recent THANKS.
So here are a few more pics I am really starting to like how it is coming together now. A thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Had to get my ugly mug in there just for scale.

I reckon another two to three weeks of fabrication then it can be stripped, finish welded in all the little awkward places I cant get too and then its time for Engine work hopefully starting as soon as the christmas break is over.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.
Cheers OZ

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 10:42:49 AM »
Beautifully done. I consider NO2 to be the hardest discipline of LSR. Lotsa clever ideas in your bike Oz. Making everything work will be the big challenge. The reward of a record is something I hope you get to experience. When you do it yourself, it means more.  LF

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
looks good oz  --oz and i have been comparing notes on NOS --CAUTION  if you plan on running NOS and you run a fogger system flow all of your jets --if you run more than 1 fogger even flow the jets that have the same jet number on them i have found that some flow as much as 30% different(even with the same number)  at the very least that would cost a piston   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »
Great build and good luck on the salt,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
Hey oz
Ya need to be very careful with your NOS solenoids. They don’t take to kindly to variable or pulsing voltage.... they heat up, stick and fail...they aren’t a sophisticated electrical devise...many promod racers have learned the hard way as to which solenoids work best with less than 12volts... I’m pretty sure that NOS in a problem but NX solenoids may work.... I would talk to Ryan or Dave Schnitz as to a recommendation
good luck
Kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
i run NOS solenoids and i have tested mine to see how long they will stay on without burning up-- the gas solenoid will stay on for 12  min and just gets warm but the NOS solenoid will only last for 6 min. after that it gets very hot and smells like its burning up --(but it will still work perfect) both solenoids were new 12 years ago --also neither solenoid has anything going through them ---just for your info  willie buchta

i am getting ready to buy some new ones any suggestions  thanks
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
willie the problem is not how long they will stay on for before they will burn up...the problem is they dont respond to voltage lower than 12 volts so to controll them by limiting voltage is tough....earlie and most current progressive NOS controllers "pulse" the voltage to the solenoids...this "dwell" or "ramping" of the solenoid duty cycle often causes a solenoid to stick, eithor stuck open or stuck closed it will obviously cause a problem... often a big problem. progressive controllers can be very tricky especially if your trying a home made..... save yourself time, pistons, and money and just buy a proven design...better yet just install a multi stage set up..... you dont have to worry about blowing your tire away as most buttons are pushed at speed....oz one big thing to factor in when your comming half way round the world to race....make things simple for yourself....toss the idea of a complicated controller...really....
kent