Author Topic: My CBR1000 A/F  (Read 76661 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
My CBR1000 A/F
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:37:23 AM »
Just thought I would get in on the action and post a few pictures of the bike that I am hoping to take to Bonneville in 2009. I started to build it from scratch in july this year and all work so far has been done by myself so its not coming on as quick as I would have liked it to.Being in England there is only a few people I can rely on for help as this is the first bike of this kind I have attempted to build.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: My CBR1000 A/F
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »
2009  :?  hey get to work, you have 11 months till Speedweek...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:09 AM »
I am trying but I think 2009 is more realistic I have to save around 5 grand for the shipping and trip, and build the bike know anyone in the market for a soul its a bit tarnished but I am open to offers.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:22:35 AM »
Welcome to the addiction.  You are doing some nice work there and looks like you could be done for 2008.  Maybe you can find some sponsorship help to get you over here a year early.

Keep posting pictures,

Sum

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:51:19 AM »
 :-DThank you.that's real encouraging I would love to run in 08 if circumstances allow best thing is to keep chipping away at it and see how it goes.you never know stranger things happen, fingers crossed.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
OZ,Welcome to the forum. Nice looking project. Hope to see it on the salt next year.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:16 AM »
Me too thanks for the welcome.

Offline panchop

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »
I like the fact that you are building a perimeter style frame. i was thinking about the same thing for my old Z1 motored bike but decided not to because  of the difficulty in removing the engine if it needed work. Mind if i ask what your plans are in that case . also doesn't your air box negate the advantages of the frame which i would have thought was the way it allows you to get so low. whatever it looks most excellent.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:39:28 AM by panchop »

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 05:54:47 AM »
Ah Funny you should mention that but all the cases are removable within the frame(took a bit of thinking about) even the Head and the clutch,The engine itself once its finished drops straight out the bottom easily, you just put it on blocks unbolt and you get a buddy to lift the whole chassis over the top you could probably do it solo but easier with a helping hand.
I know what you mean about the air box I reckon I am going to have to rework that as it sits to high but the calculations I have done work out to an 11 litre capacity to get the resonance tuning right so its a bit tricky, could possibly do it with a multitude of forward facing louvers and a much flatter box any ideas?

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 02:46:29 AM »
Ah well MK2 Airbox I am a bit happier with this one it doesent present as bigger frontal area as MK1 I can get my elbows in the rescesses and chest on top of it MUCH BETTER still have to do filtering on it but that shouldnt present too much of a problem.

stayt`ie

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 04:17:57 AM »
mate, i like to see a "bare bones build" 8-), good work, dont push it, if 09`s your goal, then 09 it will be :-D,,,

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 05:51:03 AM »
very interesting Oz ,I enjoy seeing other DIY builds especially what you are doing  :-D
Im also building a 1000 A/BF from an old school GPZ 1000 RX ,there are some riders from down under that are planning to attend 09 as well , enjoy the build and all the best
cheers
Gary
slower than most

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 06:01:53 AM »
Nice one Thanks.Be good to have some like minded drinkin buddys out there thirsty work all thia bike building and riding
Are you running the RX in 09.I was thinking about turboing or supercharging this one but ended up with the nitrous.Dont know if it was a good idea but time will tell
TTFN OZ

Offline panchop

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
Ah well MK2 Airbox I am a bit happier with this one it doesent present as bigger frontal area as MK1 I can get my elbows in the rescesses and chest on top of it MUCH BETTER still have to do filtering on it but that shouldnt present too much of a problem.

nice stuff there. for what it's worth out at BUBs this year i noticed most bikes ran without air filters. I used one on my turbo bike but the turbo sits low and behind the front wheel. just an observation.

Offline cristdal

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:16 AM »
Hey Oz - got your words of encouragement today - thanks, much appreciated as always. 
Bike looks like its coming on great, but I didn't expect anything less from you ........ all your work is fantastic!  Keep it up
LIL SIS