Author Topic: Maxton weekend  (Read 8121 times)

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
Maxton weekend
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »
Congratulations to Walter for running 244 mph and taking top honors at the SSB shootout, that was also the fastest run of the year... he had that busa dialed in. Josh that was a great naked pass and congrats on the 200.? and the 200 club...that was awesome...also congratulations to everyone that won there SSB classes. September weekend was excellent once again... We learned alot from many experienced racers this weekend and will help us turn it up next time....our bike issues still let us bump up our speeds, I got my personal best up to 227.2 and Trillium got hers up to 222.2 and back it up with a 221.9 on her next run.....thanks to all for the help....Jody
www.nickelcityracing.com
Trillium-Maxton 2 club---FASTEST WOMAN ON A MOTORCYCLE
Jody-220mph naked..maxton 200 club-236.6 mph top speed
2003 RCC ULTRA TURBO BUSA
THANKS SPONSORS:RCC turbos-JE Pistons-MTC-Elka-Suzuki Canada-Brock's-Northbay cycle-Dyno Jet

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Maxton weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
Aww yes, you bring up a good point Scott. I think now may be a good time for a lesson in manors for those that run in the 200.000 mph and up range. :evil:

1) Any record above 230 mph should NEVER be referred to as SOFT. If you feel the need to refer to it as soft then that should be a sure sign that you need to stop and take a reality check break! (Yeah, you Walt! :-P )

2) If you've only been racing and working to get into the 200mph club for an elapsed time of one year and not even racing at every meet that year on that goal, it is bad manors to complain to someone that has been racing & volunteering for seven years and has only been over 200mph once, something to the effect of "it took so long". I mean heck, you might as well call me "Maam", tell me I'm too old to race & put me out to pasture! Dang young whiper snappers are so impatient these days! (yes you Josh!)

But seriously, I'm very proud of both of you Walt & Josh! It's been a very big pleasure for both Todd & myself to watch you both grow & progress in this sport. You've both been a hands on intricate part of the building & tuning of the bikes you both rode and that is big stuff in our books!

BTW, in true SG statistical fashion, in regards to Walt, IF I have my facts straight, (correct me if I'm wrong) He is now:
- The second fastest bike at Maxton.
- The third fastest bike rider at Maxton (nudgin SG down to #4).
- The fastest bike owner, builder, tuner, rider at Maxton.

As for me, I'm very happy to have been back on the track & back up to speed. My best run on my stock Hayabusa was 186.5. I also had the pleasure to pilot two other bikes this meet. I ran the 50cc honda race replica from team Sea Eagle Racing to a new record of 54.4 in the P/P-50/4 class. That ups my record count to 14 at the ECTA with 12 of them currently standing! (ok, so they're not real fast but if you add them all up they equal a lot of MPH! :D )

I also ran the beautiful '05 Triumph Bonneville owned by Ken Presson to a top speed of 112.4mph. He's a very brave man as he was one of the people in short shut down when I wrecked two meets ago! We spent some time talking about the wreck & then he asks me to pilot his bike! I just had to say to him you saw me wreck are you sure you want me to run your bike?! LOL Thanks for the vote of confidence Ken, it was so much fun riding your sweet bike! (I'd love to have one for the street that's for sure!)

Both are beautiful bikes that were just so much fun and a pleasure to ride. Being able to get a couple more MPH out of the smaller CC bikes was really a great pleasure and the smiles on the owners faces were just the best! Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most. I swear the smaller CC bikes have more smiles per MPH!

It was really great being back on the bike & back at the track! We're already Looking forward to next month!
Deb
Twin Jugs Racing #1302
(pilot for hire, 25 cents a run! LOL)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:30:35 PM »
Aww yes,................ I swear the smaller CC bikes have more smiles per MPH!............ Deb

Sounds like you guys had a great meet and I'm hoping to be there for the Sept. or Oct. one next year.  Thanks for details Deb.

About the little bikes, when my partner and I had our bike shop in the late 60's we would work late in the evening and then take a couple of our used bikes out to get a beer and something to eat.  These runs usually ended up in races to wherever we were going and out of all the used bikes on the floor we usually picked the 100 cc or under Honda's or Suzuki's.  They just seem to be more fun on the tight twisty streets along the bluffs of the Mississippi than the bigger bikes we rode.

Don't forget chat tonight, we need a gal to keep us under control  :evil:,

Sum

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and thanks to everyone who helped me out the past two years, I couldn't do what I did alone:

My Dad & his wife, Scott and Ellen Guthrie, Dave Owen, Richard Peppler, John Noonan, Joe & Diane Santos of JDS Cycles, Mike Shank, Rich Yancy, Todd & Debbie Dross, the SNART racing Team, Jody & Trillium, The FKAWI Racing Team, Mario Scollo, Ken Klein, Mike Goni, Tom Schaefer, Chris Bletsas, and especially all the volunteers at Maxton, and of course Keith & Tonya Turk, and Joe Timmney & Donna Pala, etc, etc.  Sorry If I forgot anyone!

Without a unique community like the LSR community I would have never achieved this:  Everyone helps everyone else out, it really is incredible.  Rich Yancy provided critical help in the weeks before the meet with suggestions on how to tune my shock, tire choice, tire pressure, etc.  He even offered to bring me another spring for my shock if I made the wrong choice, knowing full well we would be going head-to-head.  He is a real gentleman.  Scott, Dave and Richard Peppler really bear the brunt of my frequent panicked phone calls and have been truly invaluable with their patient advice.  I finally learned to just listen to them and try what they say FIRST, and then modify if I need to!  It only took 2 years.  If Dave wasn't there this weekend, I know I wouldn't have done as well.  He adjusted my datalogger, diagnosed my oil leak problem, and had me increase things GRADUALLY (for a change). Which let me have my best meet ever.  "Baby steps, Walt!".  Not that I wasn't fighting him (to myself) him all the way!  But I listened, for a change, and it worked out.  Todd also gave me great disc brake advice, and at one point when I thought I was going into the left cones, I remembered what Deb said about target fixation and I just looked to the inside edge of the right cone line and that's where I went.

But I have to say, seeing Josh get into the 200 Club, and seeing Dave's reaction and participation, that for me is a real close second for what I will remember the most about this meet.  It was really emotional, and was actually the only time this weekend I was screaming and shouting and jumping for joy.  A real special moment, for sure.

And Deb, you are right!  Bad etiquette on my part!  I got a little carried away since I only ran under 230 mph once the whole weekend, and that was on my warm up run.  A reality check is indeed in order!  I will correct my 200+LSR manners in the future.  It was great for ALL of us to see you back there Deb an your Busa, and not taking it easy, either!  185+ the first time back is great.

Thanks again to everyone,

Walt

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:08:13 PM by TURBO KING »
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:05 PM »
I will likely never have a green hat.  I don't have the money, and I don't think I have the spheres (Deb's are WAY bigger than mine).  It would be in a car if at all - takes even more money, and only slightly less cajones.  So I've been trying to convince myself that green is NOT my color.  But it is the color of envy.

I am so happy for the accomplishments of all our racers, and especially those who have crossed over into the Promised Land of 200+.  Great Job - Good Luck.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »

If I remember, I handed Dave his "hat" when
Dave joined the Maxton 200 MPH Club,
and Dave handed the "hat" to his son.
[/quote]

And Dave handed me, and GAVE me, his personal hat when I got in the 200 Club.

And I believe Scott gave me my 200 Club Shirt.

That was very special for me, as well.

I remember after Josh started racing, and I asked Dave if he wanted it back to give to Josh in case he ever got in the club.  He just laughed and politely said no.

That hat means a lot to me.  I don't wear it for fear of losing it, so I bought a "spare" 200 Club hat that I wear. 

Like Scott said, lots of great memories and special moments.

Walt

RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
244 mph at Maxton

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
Records come and go.

The "hat" is forever.

Since when did going over 293 feet per second (a football field) or 200mph become soft?  It wasn't that long ago when going that fast on a streetable motorcycle was a dream.  I don't belong to the over 230club yet, but believe me, 200mph is not soft. 
I personally will never forget getting my green hat and shirt from Scott and the crowning achievement of recieving my trophy (which sits prominantly on my mantle) for the "Worlds Fastest Nitrous Motorcycle".

Scott is the handsome one on the left. Notice the RED hat.

Just the fact that traveling at speeds over 200mph is becoming comman place in Land Speed circles, doesn't mean that it is not an achievement in itself.  If it wasn't for the advent of the Suzuki Hayabusa or the ZX-14, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yes, the HAT is forever.  Being a member of the 2club still chokes me up to be included in such a highly revered class of folks.  God willing and the good Lord keeps my memory intact, I will never forget this honor... and it IS an honor.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
Took 25 years. Last run I ever made. AMEN

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
Took 25 years. Last run I ever made. AMEN

Kewl, good to know I'm not the slowest one working to get there!  (I mean that seriously, people like you give people like me hope & patience!  :wink: )

Honestly I think Rich Yancy is about tops on my list of people to look up to that worked so very hard to get in the 200mph club!
It's really funny to look back over the years and remember how much pressure each of the members put on themselves to get into the club. How hard they worked, how much they never thought they would get there and how much faster many of them have gone beyond that one record that seemed the hardest to get!

I recently looked over the current list of members and well.. I just swear I'm not that old! I can't believe how many members I've watched get the green hat. The years are just flying by. It really seems almost like yesterday when we heard the screams of Bridgette in long shut down the day she got her record.

I'm not in the club... yet... but I do have a lot of fond memories of the the day many of the current members got in! (hopefully some of them will still be alive when I finally get in! )

Deb
3 days & we're at it again!  :-D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:47:27 PM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Super Kaz

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
Thanks for the compliments and thanks to everyone who helped me out the past two years, I couldn't do what I did alone:

My Dad & his wife, Scott and Ellen Guthrie, Dave Owen, Richard Peppler, John Noonan, Joe & Diane Santos of JDS Cycles, Mike Shank, Rich Yancy, Todd & Debbie Dross, the SNART racing Team, Jody & Trillium, The FKAWI Racing Team, Mario Scollo, Ken Klein, Mike Goni, Tom Schaefer, Chris Bletsas, and especially all the volunteers at Maxton, and of course Keith & Tonya Turk, and Joe Timmney & Donna Pala, etc, etc.  Sorry If I forgot anyone!

Without a unique community like the LSR community I would have never achieved this:  Everyone helps everyone else out, it really is incredible.  Rich Yancy provided critical help in the weeks before the meet with suggestions on how to tune my shock, tire choice, tire pressure, etc.  He even offered to bring me another spring for my shock if I made the wrong choice, knowing full well we would be going head-to-head.  He is a real gentleman.  Scott, Dave and Richard Peppler really bear the brunt of my frequent panicked phone calls and have been truly invaluable with their patient advice.  I finally learned to just listen to them and try what they say FIRST, and then modify if I need to!  It only took 2 years.  If Dave wasn't there this weekend, I know I wouldn't have done as well.  He adjusted my datalogger, diagnosed my oil leak problem, and had me increase things GRADUALLY (for a change). Which let me have my best meet ever.  "Baby steps, Walt!".  Not that I wasn't fighting him (to myself) him all the way!  But I listened, for a change, and it worked out.  Todd also gave me great disc brake advice, and at one point when I thought I was going into the left cones, I remembered what Deb said about target fixation and I just looked to the inside edge of the right cone line and that's where I went.

But I have to say, seeing Josh get into the 200 Club, and seeing Dave's reaction and participation, that for me is a real close second for what I will remember the most about this meet.  It was really emotional, and was actually the only time this weekend I was screaming and shouting and jumping for joy.  A real special moment, for sure.

And Deb, you are right!  Bad etiquette on my part!  I got a little carried away since I only ran under 230 mph once the whole weekend, and that was on my warm up run.  A reality check is indeed in order!  I will correct my 200+LSR manners in the future.  It was great for ALL of us to see you back there Deb an your Busa, and not taking it easy, either!  185+ the first time back is great.

Thanks again to everyone,

Walt

Walt,

Way to go :-D!

Your RCC Turbo Busa is Flyin :-o

Great Job to You ,and Your Supporter's :wink:

SKR...........

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »
Thanks, Kaz.  I had a lot of help.  Without it I would not be going anywhere's NEAR this fast!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
244 mph at Maxton

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »
I don't know if this is a "Bike only" thread so I'd like to add to the prase by including a couple of other cool runs during the Maxton event, the 1st street roadster over 200 mph (I think) and a wicked fast 230 mph Viper running E70 pump gas.
Congratulations to all the competitors, Good Job!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline t russell

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
Tonya & Donna done their normal damn out standing job,as did the track crew.Joe and Keith stayed busy I think.
Congrats to Zainfield & Bell,and Tom Schaefer.