Author Topic: Spirit of Competition  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Larry Forstall

Spirit of Competition
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
LSR is probably not unique in its' camaraderie and fellowship, but it still outshines most sports. While at Maxton this weekend our team needed gearing we didn't have. Bill Warner of Wild Bros Racing loaned us a sprocket but wind kept us from going faster. Bill runs a bike in the same category (naked on motor). In effect he was helping us try to beat his record. Thanks Bill, you represent the best of LSR and we are proud to have you as a fellow competitor.   

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Spirit of Competition
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:16:19 PM »
Larry, who are you to speak out?  Remember a few years ago at Bonneville, and you were pitted next to Nancy and me?  And when I qualified one day I decided to change gearing before my record return run -- had the right sprocket but not the correct length chain.  You lent me a piece of (new) chain, and even helped fit it onto the bike, if I remember correctly.

I went back out the next morning and backed up the record -- it was my first Bonneville record and that's one reason I remember the details.  Another is that -- it was YOUR record that I was trying to best.

For all the rest of you -- that's the spirit of land speed racing exemplified by a fine competitor.  I've tried in my own ways to continue the spirit -- and hope that at least one of you will do the same for the next racer in line.

Thanks again, Larry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »
There are much more stories with the same contents at the salt - I call this simple

the Spirit of Bonneville

Ps. Jim True knows what I'm talking.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline WildBro

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:52 AM »
LSR is probably not unique in its' camaraderie and fellowship, but it still outshines most sports. While at Maxton this weekend our team needed gearing we didn't have. Bill Warner of Wild Bros Racing loaned us a sprocket but wind kept us from going faster. Bill runs a bike in the same category (naked on motor). In effect he was helping us try to beat his record. Thanks Bill, you represent the best of LSR and we are proud to have you as a fellow competitor.   

Larry, It was my pleasure.  You have two of the finest gentlemen racing with you.  Mark and Steve are top notch people, not to mention damn fast :-)

I really like the bike.  First time I saw it, I think I jumped up a little. It is way naked. I took some good pics of it and Steve let me sit on it one time (made my weekend)

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
you are right Bill, Steve and Mark are great guys...thanks for all the info and help on our problems with our bike...Jody/Trillium
www.nickelcityracing.com
Trillium-Maxton 2 club---FASTEST WOMAN ON A MOTORCYCLE
Jody-220mph naked..maxton 200 club-236.6 mph top speed
2003 RCC ULTRA TURBO BUSA
THANKS SPONSORS:RCC turbos-JE Pistons-MTC-Elka-Suzuki Canada-Brock's-Northbay cycle-Dyno Jet

Offline THE ICE MAN

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
Same here, at Maxton this weekend I had given Chad Millholland a rear sprocket for his bike which put my own
record in danger, and then gave it for him to try again on Sunday.
AcePerformanceRacing.com
39 records @ Maxton  in 10 LSR Events.
650,1000,1350,1650,2000,3000,3001+ G&F classes.
Top speed 236.96 mph.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »
While we're on the subject, big kudos to my hubby Todd as well. Off the top of my head he helped out at least 6 different teams during racing hours while he himself was trying to race. He lent out his right angle drill in the tech line to at least 5 different racers. Drilled an axle for one new entrant that wasn't comfortable doing so. Countless amounts of information shared (suggested tire pressure, how to change a chain, where to buy a tire, a rim, what gears to run...), help given, and coordination of people that could help and assist others that needed assistance.

Unfortunately not all of our new racers get the "spirit" as he was left with a used up grinding disc from one team without any offer to replace what they had used and later stuck down in the staging lanes with an over heated N2O bottle in need of a different size wrench than the one he had and no one offering HIM a helping hand when he needed it most. It's disappointing when that happens but for the most part we'll continue to do what we can to help our fellow racers.

Without fail at the end of every meet when everyone else is packed up people stand around remarking how much stuff we bring but somehow we're always the ones they come to when they need something! :D

It's really good when everyone does their part to help the others around them! It's really good to remember to offer to help and to offer compensation when you've been helped! ;)
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »
Debbie -
I gotta agree.  I think you and Todd BOTH married up!  Now there's a logic problem for you - or maybe physics.  Anyhow, I really like you guys, and I know I'm not alone.  Thanks for all you do, both for other racers and for the ECTA.  It's folks like you who make it all work.

Later
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
Slim: You more than paid back that favor by loaning Steve approved leathers for 2005 SpeedWeek. My Thanks to you. The race bikes have just crossed into Utah as I write this. Steve and I fly out early tomorrow. Lets all hope the current weather front misses. Truck travel and plane tickets from the East $1600. (One way). When I started back in the seventies my Honda and open trailer made the trip for $300. Guess that is the price for motorcycles that are over a hundred MPH faster.  :-)

racin jason

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »
Larry,
One of my fondest memories at Bonneville is your record return run that got you into the 2 Club. All the years of hard work and dedication came together that morning. That's what Bonneville is all about!