Author Topic: Open class  (Read 6602 times)

Offline power58

Open class
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:09:27 PM »
Looking in the speed week program I saw several classes listed as Open. I looked over the rule book but  don't understand the explanation of an Open class .  E/FMR and H/FMR for example. 
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Open class
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
     Open record means no one has set a record in that particular class yet.

Offline power58

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »
So if you run any speed, is that the new record for that class ?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »
If you meet all the technical and administrative requirements the result is the fastest record for that class configuration to date.

"Wherever you find yourself, there you are."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
So if you run any speed, is that the new record for that class ?
At El Mirage, the open records have minimum speeds to set a record. See scta-bni.org. They do this because there is a points championship, giving extra points for setting records. There are continual arguments about the fairness of various minima.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
I don't know where you are getting your info but E/FMR has been in the books for years. The Freudigers had it than Jack Harvey got a red hat a few years ago and his son Warren just did it again this year near 230. Don't be looking at the results, many are miss marked.

Some have the respect of speed and don't go into impounds at a low speed just to have a record. They wait until they put down a good number................but not everyone thinks this way................ Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline power58

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I got my info from the speed week program. Page 34 has the H/FMR and E/FMR listed as open, most all other classes have the record holder name and MPH above the  entry that's what I couldn't figure out.   

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
Look on the www.scta-bni.org web site the records are listed under Bonneville and El Mirage, The new speed week records are listed and the Lakes are updated after each meet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline power58

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:31:05 PM »
Will do Thanks for the info.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:59:11 PM »
Some have the respect of speed and don't go into impounds at a low speed just to have a record. They wait until they put down a good number................but not everyone thinks this way................ Good Luck

Someone has to start somewhere . . .

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
The 2007 program correctly lists J. Harvey as the record holder in E.  H is open according to the 2007 Rule Book.

Are you thinking FRMR?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline power58

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:26 PM »
You are correct E/FMR has a record listed on page 34 . In my haste I made a mistake on that one. It was H/FMR and V4F/FMR that were listed as open. So I looked on BNI  for H/FMR  and the rule book page 81 and didn't find any records for this H/FMR , like others had said because it is   open. So if I want to run this class where is the target speed listed to shoot for a record. Please forgive a new guy's annoying questions.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »
Better NOT question Stan Back on the program OR the Rule Book- HE BE KNOWIN'!

ESPECIALLY, Street Roadster!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 01:36:08 AM »
I agree that it is good to set a record at any speed. Many people go through the rulebook looking for an obtainable record. If a record is set soft I am willing to bet that in the next year or two someone will be unloading a new car to compete in that class. It is a common thing to think "I can build something to beat that speed" and a soft record is like a huge target.
And I will be willing to bet that there will be someone in the next few years trying to best our soft record set on a test year and I hope there is. Maybe they can learn something from what I have done and not make the same mistakes.

I really envy all the roadsters guys with soooo many people competing for the same records. With body and displacement limits you guys really have to push the envelope to get a car faster than the next guy.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline power58

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »
I thought is was great when I  read about Don Vesco saying leave Burt Munro's record alone, let it stand. You guys are right on the money when you say some go after a soft record. Very good points from great stewards of the salt.