Author Topic: Bub Report  (Read 123455 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Bub Report
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »
Welcome to LR.com Leslie. Sorry to hear about your get off, but glad you're well enough to post here and look forward to your own re-entry.
Deb(dahmurf) and many others before you are familiar with your downtime, anticipation, second guessing, etc. that's affiliated with your current position... so don't go beating yourself up mentally as you're physically going through more then enough as it is. There was even some that privately put Deb down about her get off(before the rescue wagon ever left the track with her in it and while she was still in the ER), but they are the ones that do it to make themselves feel better about where they are at in life, certainly not ones that matter to those in the know of this sport. In other words, don't worry about your ego being bruised a little as most never put enough of their own pride out in the open(like you are doing) to scar it or build character in it like you have(and are apparently willing to continue to do). :wink:

Looking forward to hearing about the incident if you decide to share it(it could be healing for you, and would undoubtedly be helpful to the rest of us), and I promise you will not be judged about it from this corner(Deb and I both have enough scars and bruises in our past to do nothing more then listen and learn).

Heal quick if you can... just concentrate more on healing strong.
Best wishes,
Todd

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »
Todd was the worse offender and of course would have felt the worst if he had managed to land a good nudge,
Not really... remember how hard you hit me when you were taking me to the hospital?  :x

luckily we all know I'm faster then him!
Ohhh, reeaallll nice!
So what... I can pee standing up!!! :-P
Todd

Offline HighFiveCycles

• High Five Cycles
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2007, 04:37:22 PM »
Thanks! It's good to be here. I can't do much right now, and my shop is closed on Mondays so I'm using my day to rest and do a bit of work on the computer. I ran my turbo bike for the first time Thursday. My first run was great- got it up to 227 and had it pinned about halfway through the timed mile when, of all things, I SNEEZED! It fogged up my shield, my eyes were watering, so I pulled in the clutch until I regrouped. That pass ended up being 186-ish. I was aggravated afterwards! I sneezed.......of all things....
Second pass was about 196. The wind hit me or something and I was riding sideways. It straightened out but started going into a tank slapper for about 1 1/2 miles. It was hairy until about mile 6! I rode it out fine, but didn't get the speed I wanted.
The third and final pass I got into a violent tank slapper pretty early. I don't recall much of the details. The data logger showed that I fought it and tried to straighten it out for about 30 seconds before it pitched me off. I was at about 100mph. I was knocked out cold for a short time, and a little loopy for a while after that. I'm hoping to get the data from the ride and figure out how NOT to do that again. Shouldn't have gone for that one last run!!!! I still don't know where my helmet ended up. The ambulance had it, but it never made it's way to me. Hope I make sense. I'm on some heavy drugs.
Fastest Record of any woman on a motorcycle in the world
FIM 232mph 2000MPSBF record, 192mph 1000PP record
200mph club Naked!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »
Thanks! It's good to be here. I can't do much right now, and my shop is closed on Mondays so I'm using my day to rest and do a bit of work on the computer.

just being nosy here, what kind of shop?

I ran my turbo bike for the first time Thursday. My first run was great- got it up to 227 and had it pinned about halfway through the timed mile when, of all things, I SNEEZED! It fogged up my shield, my eyes were watering, so I pulled in the clutch until I regrouped. That pass ended up being 186-ish. I was aggravated afterwards! I sneezed.......of all things....

Awesome, that totally rocks!!!! Congratulations on the 227!!!

OMG, the sneeze totally sucks! (and yet I'm laughing, not at you though, just at the dumb luck!) What a way to louse up a run!
I wrote in another post about both of my contact lenses lifting starting about half track at Maxton in March. I waited 3 hours for that run & refused to let out! I just kept blinking to keep my bearings!  LOL Lost about 10mph on the run but it was on my stock busa so I was only running in the 180's anyway! (I now wear glasses when I race & am looking at getting laser surgery over the winter)

Second pass was about 196. The wind hit me or something and I was riding sideways. It straightened out but started going into a tank slapper for about 1 1/2 miles. It was hairy until about mile 6! I rode it out fine, but didn't get the speed I wanted.
The third and final pass I got into a violent tank slapper pretty early. I don't recall much of the details. The data logger showed that I fought it and tried to straighten it out for about 30 seconds before it pitched me off. I was at about 100mph. I was knocked out cold for a short time, and a little loopy for a while after that. I'm hoping to get the data from the ride and figure out how NOT to do that again. Shouldn't have gone for that one last run!!!! I still don't know where my helmet ended up. The ambulance had it, but it never made it's way to me. Hope I make sense. I'm on some heavy drugs.

Well heck, you had to try again after hitting 227, can't say I blame you there! Well hopefully the data logger & witness accounts can help you sort things out. Maybe you'll be able to make the last El Mirage meet this year! Keep us posted on your progress & thanks for sharing the details.

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline HighFiveCycles

• High Five Cycles
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2007, 05:05:02 PM »
Thanks Deb! It's amazing what all you have to take into account... sneezing....contact lens lift... I almost laughed but thought better of it!
To answer your question, I own a motorcycle shop in Dallas. It's a used bike shop, mostly late model, all makes. I love it. It helps feed my motorcycle addiction.
Fastest Record of any woman on a motorcycle in the world
FIM 232mph 2000MPSBF record, 192mph 1000PP record
200mph club Naked!

Offline Snail

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:02 PM »
227 is remarkable speed for the condition of the salt.  You'll fly when you get a chance to ride on some really good salt, (and its easier to keep the bike straight).

congratulations and heal quickly

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2007, 08:11:07 PM »
From a fellow female landspeed racer, sorry you had to go through an experience like that. Heal fast and take care of yourself. Trillium
www.nickelcityracing.com
Trillium-Maxton 2 club---FASTEST WOMAN ON A MOTORCYCLE
Jody-220mph naked..maxton 200 club-236.6 mph top speed
2003 RCC ULTRA TURBO BUSA
THANKS SPONSORS:RCC turbos-JE Pistons-MTC-Elka-Suzuki Canada-Brock's-Northbay cycle-Dyno Jet

aswracing

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »
Thanks for checking in, Leslie. You were doing a GREAT job out there. Going those speeds in those conditions took pure courage. As I mentioned before, my bike scared me multiple times and I was relieved to bring it home in one piece. Heal fast.

Rocky, there was a HUGE sigh of relief in the pit area when they came over the PA system and told us you were OK. I watched your crash and it was flat scary looking. That's a well built machine, to crash that hard and then see you walk away is a testament to the design and construction. Anyway, we're all really glad you're fine.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2007, 06:41:24 AM »
Rocky, there was a HUGE sigh of relief in the pit area when they came over the PA system and told us you were OK. I watched your crash and it was flat scary looking. That's a well built machine, to crash that hard and then see you walk away is a testament to the design and construction. Anyway, we're all really glad you're fine.

oops, Rocky, I didn't mean to "forget" you in my response. I just read this & realized I did. DOH! We are also glad to hear you are ok and it's great to see you posting here! When do you expect to be back and giving it another go?

Deb

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »
Mike and the Ack crew built one tough machine. Other than a little salt abrasion and a sore neck, I was extremely happy to be able to walk away uninjured. All the safety mechanisms worked properly. We probably shouldn't have been pushing so hard given the conditions. We believed we had a shot at the record and took it. Our initial speeds suggested we were on track before things got ugly. Mike and the crew have their work cut out for them but will have an even better machine for next year. They are the best... I know this will be the last time we run under marginal conditions.
We don't want this to happen again!

(photo by Claude McKee)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
40 years from now.
1st Grandma: "I made a batch of cookies."
2nd Grandma: "I knitted a shawl."
Leslie: "In 07' at Bonneville my second pass was about 196. The wind hit me or something and I was riding sideways. It straightened out but started going into a tank slapper for about 1 1/2 miles."

Yep, that's a story for the grandkids.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

bak189

« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »
Finally made it home last night.....we had a challenging two weeks.......not as bad as Leslie,  but still problems......our "Bonneville Boogy Van"
stopped running on the salt....Jim Yates loaned us his pick-up for a couple of days (many thanks Jim)
and Craig Anderson towed our trailer back to SoCal (thanks Craig)......as we all know the salt was not good, however, we did set a AMA sidecar record, but it was not a easy record, bad traction and cross winds made for a exiting run.........we only got the record due to the sidecar driving skills
of Larry C and passenger Warren R.........we now know how much cross-winds a sidecar with a "Dustbin" can take...(we will have numbers in the Dustbin report....  Jack D was right AGAIN)
Regarding the BUB Meet...............registration was very good..............Tech. this year was much better....
AMA-Ken and FIM-Charlie were there to solve most problems..........the line-up to run was very
 bad.......here is my 2 cents worth...................................
move the pits back to between mile 0 and the start of the short course ( why do the pits have to be in the middle of the timed mile/kilo)....line the racers up in one line next to the pits(first come first serve) the short course people turn left to the start of the short course.........the long course turn right to start at mile 0......RWYB course on the other side of the pits....the start to be right even with the pits(short ride to the start) make all AMA record runs ONE WAY (FIM still two-ways)
put the smaller displacement bikes on the RWYB Course for record runs (one-way)....and pray for good salt!!!!!!!!!  Just some thoughts.....B.B.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2007, 02:06:52 PM »
Jack D is not always right.
Sometimes he is right, then left, and then right again, only to leave you dangling.
Bob is as close as I would expect him to be looking at the problems and he has ideas for solutions.
That is about as good as you can expect from a single point of view.
That attitude, adjusted for other views, is what is going to keep this thing going into the future so that someday when some of us get old (Guthrie and Bakker are older than me) we can look back fondly at a lifetime commitment.
If I agreed with those two, I would be riding the TZ-750 Sidecar that Rob built.
We do all agree that Coleman would drive..
It ain't gonna happen.
The cool part is they will have more time to tell you all about it.
Ferd can even back it up with pictures.
The point of all this if you were holding your breath is "Don't make the same mistake the first time." :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
This morning I looked over the "BUB REPORT"
and all the complains people had regarding the event...........certainly a lot of the people were "right on"  There is still a lot of room for improvement.........but each year is better than the previous.  A record amount of racers this year made for long waiting lines.  My company has supported the event with both sponsorship and labor......we pay full entry fees.......pay our own hotel
bills.......but we do come out 3 to 4 days early to help set up the course and help with various things that need to be done.  I know for a fact that many of the "racers" were already in Wendover many days prior to the event...........next year people, how about comming out to the salt to help set up for the event.  There was a post regarding costs............we had 3 solo bikes and 1 sidecar entered...........due to some problems of our own and the long waiting lines.....the solo bikes never made it out of the trailer......so the entry dollars became a donation to the BUB Speed Trials..........hey, racing costs money.......if you can't handle the costs find something else to do.
I I know that Jason will be smiling all the way to the bank.......he certainly got a good return for his entry investment.  People keep talking how well the BNI event is handled.........hey, they have been doing it since 1949........ by now they know what it takes to put on a race meet...........I raced at Bonneville in 1954 (18 years old) with SCTA.........and I recall there were some problems.....
they were also in a learning process at that time.
Put your complains on paper or E-Mail and let BUB know .............constructive input is helpfull...........

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2007, 09:09:51 PM »
Mike and the Ack crew built one tough machine. Other than a little salt abrasion and a sore neck, I was extremely happy to be able to walk away uninjured.... (snip)
(photo by Claude McKee)

So I just have to ask, is it weird to look at that picture & see yourself tumbling from the outside view?

Deb