Author Topic: Bub Report  (Read 123450 times)

racin jason

Re: Bub Report
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »
So that means your still pulling your trailer with a donkey.

Richard, I'm still pulling my trailer with a donkey and trying to go faster than a jackass!!

Offline Southwest Superbikes

• New folks
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
Good luck out there sorry i missed it.

Offline maj

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »
Real sorry to see Acks damage. seems there are more wet events than dry lately  :-(

Anyone seen an Aussie on a turbo busa out there , wondering how Richard is going  ?

Offline joea

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »
this brings about some interesting fodder.............

obviously..........some folks at this point are not running for
records.......on that course........but do to the nature of BUB's...
are laying it on the line for $$$........

NOT saying I would do anything different.....just thinking of the lure....
and whats at stake.......

matter of fact........its probably my stupidity for not trying to run
bubs the past few years to try to garner $$$ to better equip the
race machine for going for records.........

Joe :)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2007, 11:30:53 PM »
Hey Joe, speaking of 240, did you ever find any "sign" of what was causing your handling issue at speedweek?  :roll:  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2007, 12:20:26 AM »
Hey Joe, speaking of 240, did you ever find any "sign" of what was causing your handling issue at speedweek?  :roll:  :-D

Your not nice  :wink:.  Personally I think he must have been handling pretty good to get the sign and also the time,

Sum

aswracing

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2007, 12:44:03 AM »
So today there were some wind delays, but bikes ran most of the time. We sat in line as usual. Along about 3:00 in the afternoon, I noticed that some of the people who were running had also run early in the day.

Now I had been pretty patient with the whole thing up up to that point, being a sponsor and wanting to support the event at all, but my patience went away when I saw that. I gave the pre-stage guy an earful, explaining how it had been nearly 48 hours since we had our turn and here he was sending people who had run that morning.

That whole pre-stage procedure at the Bub meet is a royal cluster Fiat, there is no other way to put it. They keep a "list" but apparently they pay little attention to it. It's the one big black eye on an otherwise good event. They need to get rid of that whole thing. Make a damn line, single file, and put people in it and go in order, what's so damn hard about that?

Anyway, we got out on the course late in the day. The change I had made to the bike didn't work, Susan slowed down to 154. But she was within 5% of the 161 record she had claimed on Monday (which was still unofficial, and she was still over the old official 146 record) and within 5% is considered qualified at the Bub meet. Knowing the wait and that we would likely not get on the course any other way, we claimed it and went to impound. That allowed us to get back out on the course about 5:00. I had undone the change and she went right back to the 163mph range where she was at on Monday.

Anyway, we bagged it and tore the motor down, got measured, and put Monday's times in the book.

I've got the nitro bike ready, in case the course and weather are good tomorrow morning. If conditions are bad I'll just bag it.

I have some pics but no way to upload them, will do it when I get home most likely.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2007, 12:55:58 AM »
what was your change that slowed ya down/ good to here ya were able to identify the problem and fix it... hey thanks for keeping us informed on what was happening out there
kent

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »
AWSRacing is correct about the line confusion. The poor guy with "The List" has a constant swarm of riders around him yelling that they need to be someplace different on the list, as well as guys who are in line, checked in, but did not make it on this list. Some people got in line as usual, and did not even KNOW they had to go find the list guy and put their name on it. Just total confusion and lack of communication.

Another thing is that your bike may be 1/2 mile down the line, but YOU have to be near the guy with the list to hear him say you are next. So you have to run 1/2 mile back to your bike or trailer and fight your way through the terrible pit congestion to go out and get staged. It is just unbelievable that BUB chose to do things like this. I don't get how this is supposed  to be better than SW procedures.

Don - getting back in line this morning(think I am on the list)
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2007, 09:03:08 AM »
"He who controls the purse strings, controls the list., controls the people, controls the event." (me-from the beginning)
Getting bigger indicates the demand, getting worse indicates the progress.
Complicating something as simple as a lineup procedure usually means they missed something in pre-school, and certainly never had the experience that is so lacking .
The top down procedure, ruins some otherwise helpful people and willing participants.

" Ask Delvene." (Bob Bakker-2007) :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »
Queue theory (the study of lines) has been well documented. There is no need to wait in a line. EVER.

The El Mirage method where you run based on points lets you sit until your number group is called.

Assign numbers based on entry received, and then run based on the numbers. At the end of the day you can re-register for the next day. That way the organizers will know how many are planning to run the next day. The shoe polish numbers on the tow vehicle windshield for run position and entry number seems to help also.

If the organizers communicate the number of people registered, and calculate the time per run, then you can figure pretty close when your group will be called. Better  yet, the organizers could print a morning run sheet with the estimated times.

The top four days at Speed Week managed 200 runs per day on the long course (Monday through Thursday.) The short course ran 184 to 259 (Monday) per day for the same period. 872 short course runs and 765 long course runs. The BUB meet last year had 477 runs for the four days.

Seems like the BUB organizers need to visit Speed Week.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Dean
I have an Idea, why don't you volunteer next year to help run the BUB meet. Maybe you can sort it out.
Glen :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline KIRIAKAI

• COSTELLA-GULLETT STREAMLINER
    • TEAM BOZEMAN MOTORSPORTS
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2007, 11:40:27 AM »
Thursday - 9:30 AM - Wendover time
Just got a call from Cliff Gullett that the "7070" Costella-Gullett Streamliner ran a 193 on the down run and they are getting ready to run the return.... The temp looked a little low on the weather report but apparently the temp and the course was good enough to get it done. If they can secure the record on the return run, they will  be prepared to go for the 350cc Motorcycle Streamliner Fuel Record.
WAY TO GO!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2007, 11:48:49 AM »
Dean
I have an Idea, why don't you volunteer next year to help run the BUB meet. Maybe you can sort it out.
Glen :?

It seems the focus of the event is not on the racer.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
Queue theory (the study of lines) has been well documented. There is no need to wait in a line. EVER.

The El Mirage method where you run based on points lets you sit until your number group is called................Seems like the BUB organizers need to visit Speed Week.

Personally I feel EM is way different.  The pits are just feet away from the starting line.  On the salt the pits are miles from the starting line and communications there are slim to non and not many options to make that better.

The proven way is you get in line, stay in line, and run when it is your turn.

Now to also be fair to BUB what they are doing is completly different.  Since the measured mile is in the middle of their course and they run both ways on records and not one way that really complicates things, especially for the FIM runs that have to return in 2 hours.

They can't run a short/long course in the same manner as speed week since the measured mile is in the middle for record purposes.  That means the short course bikes leave from what is basically the return road, ride over a few hundred yards and make a left turn on the course and run 2 miles to the timed mile.  So they are starting up course a couple  miles from the starting line for the long course bikes not at the same place as at speed week.

So the timing tower is trying to coordinate starting runs from two different locations for the north bound runs.

Things even get more complicated when someone runs on a FIM record and qualifies as now they have to return from the north towards the south within 2 hours and they could be starting 5 miles north of the measured mile or 2 or 3 miles north of the measured mile and they are returning in the direction of the people that or waiting to start at the other end of the course on their down runs.  I don't know if AMA records have to follow the same procedure or not.  I use to know, but lost that over a beer during the winter.

This whole setup revolves around FIM record requirements and the fact that those are the records the promoter is going after along with other entrants.  Their is no way they can run on an FIM record at speed week, so BUB does fulfill a void other than having to lease the salt on private time.

I think if someone is interested in an FIM record they should look at BUB, but if not maybe they should look at another meet like SW, WOS or WF if they are interested in getting in more runs.

Personally I think BUB ought to drop the pre-stage antics they have now and you would go get in line at the long course starting point or short course starting point and they would alternate between them.  Then they would have to fit in the return runs as necessary so that if you qualified on a record you would be assured (weather permitting) a return run that day.

I can't remember if they got the "run what you brung" course up or not, but surely that would help a lot but there again they had no say about the weather and course conditions that were dealt them.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:12:39 PM by Sumner »