Author Topic: Bub Report  (Read 123449 times)

racin jason

Re: Bub Report
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »
Aaron,
what some guys were doing was running on a record and then telling the officials that they were ready to return right away. that way they got 2 runs in in a matter of minutes. The whole return run thing really slows the program down and creates bad feelings in staging as the same people keep racing as you sit and wait patiently in line. i was told of one racer who by virtue of his past performance jumped the line numerous times and ran back and forth while others waited in line for hours.
 I was first in line for the long course on sunday and had streamliners go ahead of me and after 3 hours waiting i asked if i could go down to the 0 mile and wait there. i got to run in  no time because the liners that were waiting couldnt run in the wind. there was a communication gap between the pre stage and race central that caused some of the problems.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Race central needs to be a real starter with real experience.
As somebody we know mentioned, "Take the money and run." :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

aswracing

« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2007, 05:36:36 PM »
what some guys were doing was running on a record and then telling the officials that they were ready to return right away. that way they got 2 runs in in a matter of minutes. The whole return run thing really slows the program down and creates bad feelings in staging as the same people keep racing as you sit and wait patiently in line. i was told of one racer who by virtue of his past performance jumped the line numerous times and ran back and forth while others waited in line for hours.

Yeah, I realize people were making backup passes just to avoid waiting in line, which the 5% rule facilitates nicely. We wised up and did that ourselves. But while waiting on Wednesday, we saw people make multiple qualifying passes over the course of the day while we sat, not having run since Monday. That's what set me off.

Exactly how they were beating the system, I'm still not sure. All I know is that being the good guy, lining up and putting myself on the list and waiting patiently, leaving the list keeper alone like a cooperative competitor, was not working, and I was forced to abandon it and become an asshole. Once I got in their face, I started getting somewhere. It's too bad it came to that. Shouldn't have to go there.

By the way, great job and congratulations.

Offline Pete

• New folks
    • pete2dakar
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
Pete, FMJ, thanks for checking in.

I love this stuff. Just wish I lived there to make doing it a bit more practical... :roll:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2007, 06:20:37 PM »
Is there anywhere I can find the times?  I can't find it on the BUB forum.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »

I love this stuff. Just wish I lived there to make doing it a bit more practical... :roll:
With any luck, 1 mile to a 132ft trap speed racing may come to you.
Common performance standards will make a more direct comparison to those of another country and the bragging rights will go to the real fastest.
The facilities are more universally available and less subject to The Mother of Nature. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline WildBro

« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »

With any luck, 1 mile to a 132ft trap speed racing may come to you.
Common performance standards will make a more direct comparison to those of another country and the bragging rights will go to the real fastest.
The facilities are more universally available and less subject to The Mother of Nature. :wink:

After spending a few weeks on the salt, I really appreciate Maxton!  I don't believe I got salt fever, its more like a rash.  It was fun doing it, but after its a lot of work to get rid of it :-)  And speed at Maxton is within a mph of speed on the salt.  Plus, you get so many more runs in on concrete.  Last meet I did 16 runs on sunday, about the same as all of speedweek.  I did 5 runs at BUB (Sunday & Monday) and that is what I do on a normal Maxton day.
Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »
The fever will return about June of 2008 and you will need a fix and start scratching until you get the salt fix. If you don't you will spend an entire week by the computer waiting for everything regarding the meet. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »
Back home in Seattle from BUB after driving all night and day. Congratulations to Jason M for the huge speed he put out. Congrats too to John Noonan for being second fastest. I think we were third fastest, but there is no way to tell as BUB does not post times like SCTA. I stayed till Thursday trying to catch up to those two, but by then the course had turned to the consistency of April snow. Slushy and very very dangerous. I almost went down just by making a gentle turn off the course (after fishtailing for 3 miles.)

It was an awesome and humbling event and made me appreciate SCTA more, both Speedweek and El Mirage. As everyone else noted, the queing system was just totally unorganized and not fair to everyone. Part of the problem was the single track for long and short. BUT GET THIS: The announcers were begging bikes to go to the "run what you brung" course because it was EMPTY while we sat in line ALL DAY for a single run. The RWB had a timing station, timing slips, etc, but why the short coursers could not run there too is beyond me. I did note that several people put their name on "The List" before even getting in line. That meant they jumped ahead of others. When I tried that they chewed me out. Some people know how to work the system.

I love running at Bonneville, but before going to BUB again, I want to make sure that they have the line up problems fixed, as well as dozens of other problems. It is just way too expensive to go there only to not get the 2 runs per day you need for a record.

Note: If I had won $10,000, I would not be complaining!

Don Pearsall
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »
As expensive as it is for the individual, the promoter budget for each entry to conduct the meet is way far in in excess of that.
Money buys influence as some have seen. :wink:

Offline panchop

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2007, 03:49:31 AM »
i just got back from BUBs tonight. this was my first time at an event like this. i was surprised at the time it took to run. also some people seemed to be getting in a LOT more runs then other. maybe it was my imagination but it seemed if you had your own TV crew with you you got to run all day. as for the RWB course i tried it but even my  slow bike wasn't able to get into 5th gear and spent a lot more time spinning it's tires. The guys on the ground did a hell of a job absorbing abuse though. That poor fellow Ken (?) was just taking a beating. still i am glad to have it and will be back next year, although i hope if I have to wait in line 7 hours i don't have to always be by my truck . it gets a little old.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2007, 07:58:09 AM »
First time impressions are quite valuable and are a good indication of the things that might be ignored or taken for granted by someone with a lot more time in the sport.
Progress is expected on both sides, but it seems to be lacking for the event, and we can only hope.
If the track conditions won't allow a peak performance as they often do, there are plenty of personal and technical story lines available to make a good show for the filmers.
None of it has to come at the expense of fairness to all of the entrants. :oops:

aswracing

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2007, 08:30:05 AM »
OK, I've been thinking on this, here are my suggestions so far:

1) ONE pre-stage line, for everyone who's waiting to qualify. NOT separate lines for tow rigs, short course, long course. Separate lines contributes to the problem, because it facilitates varying levels of wait. No more preferences for long course. Let no one move to the front of the line, everyone begins their wait at the back. No exceptions.

2) Dispatch racers from that line to the short or long course staging area as appropriate. DO NOT move people ahead in the line just because there are fewer folks waiting at the long course start. Everyone pays the same entry fee and SHOULD have the exact same opportunity to run, regardless of whether they're short or long course, regardless of whether they're towing or not. Pull people from the pre-stage line to the appropriate start line IN ORDER.

3) DO AWAY with the stupid list! It doesn't work. People are beating the system somehow. Make it first come, first served, all from the same line.

4) Put the line somewhere other than the middle of the paddock! It causes an enormous amount of congestion. Maybe it should run the length of the paddock, just outside of it. Mark in clearly with cones or a fence or something on both sides the whole way down. Make the space narrow enough that multiple lanes in the line don't happen.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »
See "Course" procedures and all of those considerations have been communicated to the event promoter from the start and it seems to get worse every time.
Things that are said to be improvements are not improvements at all , but the racer is getting wiser to them.:oops:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »
Some years ago SCTA put out a questioner after the speed week event was over. It covered almost everything the racer would like to see changed, or improved on. This was part of the entry for the following year as well. The feed back was compiled and given to the board at that time.

Maybe this is what the Bub people should do and send it to every entry asking their pros and cons. What they think was wrong and how to fix it next time. It won't hurt to ask. I think all of the salt events need this every year and we could all learn from it.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah