Author Topic: Changes for 08  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Changes for 08
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_0631.jpg?9548

Here is a pic of the changes I want to make for 08.
The only thing that I am not doing that I would like to is stretch the wheelbase, maybe next year.

The other items I am doing are:

1 Water tank up front
2 chute (none currently)
3 new pull up style seat belts
4 a "single pull" mechanism that will release the door net, pull the pin to the removable lateral head restraint and unlatch the door.
5 Metal belly pan (currently is UHMW)
6 Get suspension aligned properly and set up
7 Re mounting the fire bottles for easier access

We had originally intended to run the turbo motor next year.....we only ran a basically stock motor this time and did not get it past 6K (makes power at 9.5 and reds at 11+).
We are talking about building a beast NA motor and running the turbo in 09. We can get about 240-250HP to the wheels with a 1520 cc Busa. This is in comparison to the 150 we had this year with our tired (10K+ miles) stock motor. 

Any thoughts or comments???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:48:31 AM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline sockjohn

Re: Changes for 08
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:45:05 PM »

1 Water tank up front

Why not just a small radiator blowing out the rear?  The air is pretty dirty and turbulent by then and avoids the long radiator hose run from rear to front. 

Without a top view it's hard to get a full grasp of the new nose, but you really want it rounded or shaped like a parabola to let the air spill to the sides. 

Will you have to have the car equivalent of fork stops the prevent the front tires from hitting the fairing?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Changes for 08
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:25:29 PM »
Why not just a small radiator blowing out the rear

Its a class requirement to have a radiator and currently have one and will keep one in the rear. The added HP of the big bore or turbo motor along with no direct air flow through will over tax the tiny busa radiator. It was not getting overly hot this year but it was running a bit hotter than what my bike temp is on a hot day. The second reason is that it will add weight to the front.

On a different note:

Many LSR cars are using water tanks with electric water pumps someone could install a solenoid "Y" valve that in the case of an engine fire divert the water to spray nossels to assist a current engine fire suppression system.

but you really want it rounded or shaped like a parabola to let the air spill to the sides

My biggest problem this year I suspect was the massive amount of down force the nose was making with nearly 100% of the air flow going over the top.
I dont know if it is possible to divert airflow without having a reactive force. I want to build a nose that diverts air by 33% left, 33% right, 33% over the top this will still give me down force but nothing like what I currently have.

I have a good idea of the nose form I want but am open to any suggestions/drawings that anyone has.

Will you have to have the car equivalent of fork stops the prevent the front tires from hitting the fairing

I have wheel adapters now that are 1.25", I intend to have the hubs re-drilled and new studs installed to match the wheel. This will push the wheel in to allow for more travel and will have stops if the wheel makes contact with the cover.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)