Author Topic: Is there a rule requiring tow vehicles?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
Is there a rule requiring tow vehicles?
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »
I'm trying to get this tow vehicle thing worked out for my trip to the WoS.  I was told previously (by who, I can't recall) that it was required to use a tow vehicle while waiting in line.  Is that so for a motorcycle?  My friend and I are riding our bikes out there to run in the 130 Club, and I'm thinking that if a tow vehicle is required we're going to have to rent one once we get there...and wow that's starting to look spendy.

This is my first trip out.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

gh

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Is there a rule requiring tow vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »
Look for a hungry biker and ask if he will pick you up if you feed him, someone should help. 8-)
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »
I am pretty sure that rule is not for 130 mph cars. I would contact the USFRA to be sure.

roadtrip

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »
Contact Ellen Wilkinson at the contact address found on the website www.saltflats.com ---- Very helpful and easy to deal with ----- I've asked several seemingly stupid questions just to make sure I didn't do something even more stupid.
I had the same question about tow vehicles ---- they're not required.
You'll find a lot of requirements don't apply to 130 Club cars/bikes.
I'll be there - see you there.........
DonS 

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:51 AM »
No tow vehicle required for 130 club,hope you guys realize 130 club is only run at WOS in sept.
And be warned,it can be contagious.I started out "just" doing the 130 club,now I have built 6 different bikes for Bonneville.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Oldguy

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 05:25:35 AM »
Hey Jim -

Not everyone is as weird as you are . . . oh wait, this is a Bonneville thread.  Never mind.  You fit right in.

You going to be at BUB's?

Glenn

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »
Glenn,I doubt it as work on bike is way behind. Between waiting on parts,one-off fabricating,fire season with too many guys off hurt, and new business getting up and running I have too little time.
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:49:39 PM »
Jim Jim Jim
Glenn,I doubt it as work on bike is way behind. Between waiting on parts,one-off fabricating,fire season with too many guys off hurt, and new business getting up and running I have too little time.

Ya gotta work on your priorities
Hope to see ya on the salt
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:42:27 AM »
I did get some work done finally,plumbed a bunch of lines,have a box of parts from my barn to take to shop tomorrow. Sure hope the salt is dry for everyone at Bub's.
Next year I'll have more time as I'll be retired from fire dept and will play with motorcycles full time.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm trying to get this tow vehicle thing worked out for my trip to the WoS.  I was told previously (by who, I can't recall) that it was required to use a tow vehicle while waiting in line.  Is that so for a motorcycle?  My friend and I are riding our bikes out there to run in the 130 Club, and I'm thinking that if a tow vehicle is required we're going to have to rent one once we get there...and wow that's starting to look spendy.

This is my first trip out.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

gh
As previously mentioned,  you do not need a "tow Vehicle".  you line up -  make your run -  turn right ride back to the timing tent -  pick up your time slip -  ride it back into line -  and start telling stories while you wait for your next turn!  make sure you look at the 130 club safety rules for Motorcycles  I' m not sure if it requires a lanyard type kill switch - just print out the Inspection checklist from the USFRA website and go through it while looking at your bike.

Lots of helpfull people around if you need help.  i will be running at least 2 cars and a motorcycle -  so we have lots of people around who can help you out if you need something from town -  a hand wrenching or whatever.  130 club is the greatest invention since sliced bread -  it's what got us started on this obsession! -  we have 7 family members in the club   including my 75 year old dad -  who crows about it to anyone who will listen!

Look us up,  we have a C-3 and a C-4 vette as well as a new (to us) Yamahamy 350 we will be trying out!
Johansson Brothers  Bandit racing!
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

bak189

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:14:57 PM »
You mean...........you mean...........you can ride your bike BACK to the pits, and the line at the WoS.......
what about INSURANCE...............................................

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
You mean...........you mean...........you can ride your bike BACK to the pits, and the line at the WoS.......
what about INSURANCE...............................................

yup -  and drive your car back too -  even on the other courses.

As far as i can tell there are only 2 possible explanations for this strange behavior

1. people at USFRA must be significantly taller -  i have not yet encountered the littleman "I'm the boss here" complex as of yet.  So they must just be naturally taller

2. people of USFRA must be more well endowed -  thats the only explanation I can come up with for the lack of "compensation" syndrome.

WOS has a whole different feel to it -  its family fun time,  nobody seems to be going around looking for someones throat to cut!  I wouldn't miss WOS.  Speedweek -  i can take it or leave it!

carl -  "guess I better go buy another fire suit" Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

bak189

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Carl............I now fully understand..............
P.S. better put your firesuit on NOW.....it will be coming your way.....the flak that is.........don't you just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
Thanks Carl............I now fully understand..............
P.S. better put your firesuit on NOW.....it will be coming your way.....the flak that is.........don't you just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup -  speaking of fire suits -  I don't have my rule book here -  is it manditory that a 3.2/20 suit be one piece -  or would a 2 piece be OK -  sure would be alot easier to get into and out of the car!

Carl "was gunna put a funny sig line here -  but it would have gotten me blackballed from scta" johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca