Author Topic: Getting closer  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Getting closer
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:17 AM »

Window tabs.......I wanted to do something a bit diffrent. The aluminum strip helps ease the transition between the lexan and the roof plus is a nice mount for the window tabs. I am also going to get a set of curb feelers and mount them on pot magnets so I can stick them on in the pits to see if anyone will notice....just being stupid.

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/trip.jpg?1207

Note the fresh air intake. It is rather small....dont know if they will complain in tech. Also the engine air scoop looks huge, and it is but it also takes in air for the radiator as well (as does the stock side scoop on the body).

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_0631.jpg?6209

The car looks bigger than it is, in actuality it is TINY. The tires on the car are 22" and are over half the height of the car roof. As it sits she is about 42" tall to the roof...hard to get in and out as I am 6.2.

I have the numbers and letters being made....will post more pics when they are done.
Hopefully they will turn out.....I ordered this crazy custom stuff that looks like the machine turning that I did on the spills and window tabs.

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/multi.jpg?3580
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Getting closer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »
Make the horizontal strip functional with tenson across the entire window and it will do a better job than just the required tabs.
I used a thin rubber strip behind the metal to allow some movement and still hold the window in place. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:54:51 AM »
what engine class are you running in?  I like the color, you will be seen from miles away.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »
Thanks bvillercr, it is actually a stock Porsche color. The paint shop pissed me off so much that I bought a new IR air compressor and a HPLV gun. I feel that I can do a better than crap paint job and would of painted it myself I had more time and knew that the paint shop was going to be such a train wreck.

I was going to have a single color non fading flame job done on the car.....but backwards so the flames would go from rear to front (so it would look like it was going fast backwards) but after loosing 5 days because of the paint shop I had to nix the idea till next year.

I will be running all classes of H but only the NA motor this year (hayabusa motor).

Originally I stated that the car sat at 42".....it is in fact 39" (it has been a while sense I last measured it)

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
Johnny, I've just got to ask - what do your neighbors say when you pull that thing outside? 

I totally dig that everyone in LSR has a completely different idea about THEIR project and regardless of how different someone's car/bike may be, there is always a good amount of respect for it.  Gotta love it!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:54:44 PM »
Johnny, I've just got to ask - what do your neighbors say when you pull that thing outside?

I have a small garage on my house and as a contractor have it packed with everything from pressure washers, AC units, tools and my bike, no room for a car anymore.

When I first got the car I had it next to the house with a tarp on it. After a while got a trailer and it is actually big enough to work on it inside but there is only so much you can do in those confines so I do a good deal of work on the car in the street.

My neighbors have been very supportive and have followed along with the progression......There must of been a pivotal moment where the car stopped looking like a huge peace of, to something that while they may of not known or understood what, was definitely on its way to being something.

I must admit that at first the car was VERY rough....and being a FIAT to start with.....
Thank god for understanding neighbors!!!!

*Andres Segovia

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »
It's called HOT RODDING and I am lucky enough to have been doing it since I was 15 and got my DL, That would be 1950 for those counting. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »
Good neighbors sure make all the difference :-D
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931