Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250969 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »
Bob is correct

One of Hume's eggs ended up on the White House Christmas tree.

His wood work is exquisite and he is known world wide as a carver.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Freud

« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »
These are the basic pieces for the canopy latch. One bolt is the pivot point and the other is for the slider. The black knob is the same as the one on the front canopy hinge.

The top piece is the pivot point (the blurry one) The lower is the plunger that secures the canopy. 

The upper bolt (black nut) is the pivot point and the lower bolt inserts into the slider for the plunger.  The latch will lift up to open the canopy from the outside and on the inside, the handle will pull back to secure the canopy.

FREUD

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:05:56 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
Wolcottjl, you did a good job of research.

The eggs are approximately 4" tall. You can't slide a piece of paper between the egg and the surrounding carrier.

No sandpaper is used in the finishing.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »
Both sides of the car. The center panels are where  the wheels are located.

Treit and Davenport.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Wolcottjl, you did a good job of research.

The eggs are approximately 4" tall. You can't slide a piece of paper between the egg and the surrounding carrier.

No sandpaper is used in the finishing.

FREUD

Freud,
Woodworking is a hobby of mine.  I had heard of Hume's eggs long before I read about his build up.  I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. 

Joel (Guy that took up shop in SSS pit with the 2 boys that you met at Speedweek last year)
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
Hume's, like the late Jocko Johnson's, forte is more the artist  than the fabricator. Or maybe ,equally, artist meshes with fabricator.

I understand that since Jocko's passing people are clamoring to find/buy his furniture and free-form sculpture.

Remember seeing his chairs years ago at LA's prestigious Pacific Design Center where the joints were held together with countersunk aircraft screws and aluminum plates- technology mixing with art!

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
Establishing the position and size of the windshield.

The slot is only to establish the height of the windshield.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
Go back to page 2, reply #26 or 27. There are fotos that relate to this part of the build.

First foto  The two flat pieces with the vertical slot are where the air brake will deploy. The diagonal line on the bottom of the aft portion of the flat piece is where it will be cut to allow a smooth attachment joint for the next piece of the tail section.

2nd foto   This is the opposite side of the same two pieces.  Note the notch in the vertical piece, where the black part of the  frame protrudes. That is required because the skin is so close to the frame in that location that the support panel had to be relieved to keep the contour correct. The area from the wooden buck on the right to the vertical frame member forward is the most complex part of the entire body skin. It is the transition point where the curve starts to come into the narrowing of the tail section.
  Look at the air brake on page two. You can see how the panels will deploy thru the vertical slot in these fotos. The countersunk holes in the back of the panel are the attachment holes for the air brake. You can only see two of them, just above the silver portion of the c-clamp.

My next post will conclude the canopy retainer assembly. It is completed except for the outer release plate that can't be done until the canopy is completed. Today the canopy support frame was taken apart because the flashing (attachment plates) caused the upper portion of the canopy to stand off the support plate by 0.060".  The canopy will be shrunk and the inner support will be refitted. Sometimes it's two inches ahead and one inch back to make this puzzle look so simple when it's done.

There are pictures way back on the very early posts that relate to this area. Go back and take a look. More in a day or two.

I was told Monday that the front end parts have just shipped from Denver. That will be another Christmas package when it's opened. I'll show that and the explanation as soon as it comes up here.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
These images show the canopy latch as it is when the canopy os closed and open. There is a spring inside that always returns the plunger to the secured position.

Jason Hosking, a new employee in Hume's shop, is holding it open in the removed canopy shot. Jason's experience in metal shaping is welcome on this project.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:26:32 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »
Would you people that open these foto files let me know whether you like the files image size larger, as in the past, or the smaller size as these last several postings.

Just tell me 900 or 1000 size.

Is the detail adequate to satisfy you in the fotos?  It's a matter of not using too much of Landracing.com bandwidth and size on your

monitors.  I don't want Nancy's old man to kick me off.

Send me an e-mail    fotofreud@aol.com. Do it with e-mail. It's easier than a PM.

I'll do whatever is the majority vote. While u are at it, let me know what you like and what you don't like, where your interest is, small

detail, overall project or some specific area of the build. If you want to ask a question, please feel free to do that. I may take a day or

two before I reply. If it's to settle a bet, state what my share is before I answer, especially if u explain the bet.

I just had a call from Marlo. The new front end has been lost in shipping between Denver and Wilsonville, Oregon. He's perturbed.

This new LSR vehicle is front steer, independent rear brakes, candy apple red and still on warranty. I have applied for a low SCTA

number to make it easier to attach to the basket. I may have to add ballast because it was built for racing in grocery stores and

uncontrolled slippage could happen. Check that padded roll bar. Dan Warner has created a class for a single entry. A case of suds

stripped his duds.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:58:02 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
Do not apply to drive the new LSR vehicle.

Bob Drury has outbid all possible candidates.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
 :-o :-o :-o Unacceptable roll cage!!  Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Scott

« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
Pic size is fine for me. Keep it up. Great info.       SB
push truck driver

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
Where's the drool catcher?  Actually I am just the front for Dolan...........he vows to return to the salt.
  R.I.P. Chet............. :cry:
Bob Drury