Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 251025 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
We've not met but I wuz there near the scene and there wuz SALT underneath your feet and - this may be a stretch w/o research -Jerry Ford may have been President.

He was, and at least I didn't say LINCOLN!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:59:04 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:06 AM »
How in the hell did you know it was me from so long ago. Who's trailer is in the background? Did Treit have a car there that time?

Youis  a bugger.

THANX

fERd
Since '63

Offline Geo

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
My wife just washed the screen of my laptop to make me look better.

FREUD

I washed the screen on my laptop...  didn't help!

Geo

Offline Freud

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
Geo....try using NITRO.

I need every bit of help that's available.

My Witness Protection counselor didn't even recognize me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »
Now that I have learned how to make wine I probably won't post as frequently.

These fotos are from prior shoots.

The first foto shows some of the very limited Dzuz fastners in the car. These attach the chute canister to the chassis.

The always present vise grips hold the skin section to the buck. This is at the mounting point of the air brake.

Back side view.

Extreme rear view of tail.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »
Last 2 fotos of this section.
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2008, 05:53:25 PM »
Sorry for the long delay. I'll be with Marlo this weekend and will post an interview within the next week.

While we were at the Gas Up, Marlo told me that the entire front drive unit, excluding the differential, was being reengineered and manufactured. That will include new axles and the steering knuckles, hubs and spindles. He is supposed to receive the engineering drawings and specifications this week and they will discuss any changes that are needed. This change started when the 6000 RPM wheel speed was related to the joint that is necessary to allow steering thru the driven wheels. A serious concern developed to the ability to keep the joint flexible at that RPM and not bind the steering.

He figures one month will be the manufacturing time.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline artmodelman

• New folks
  • Bonneville Salt Flats photographer and author
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
When do they plan on running the car for the first time at Bonneville?
What a magnificent piece of workmanship!!!

Jim Keeler

artmodelman@yahoo.com

Jim Keeler

Offline Freud

« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
I can't answer WHEN.
I'm only the messenger.
The KING is harvesting the grapes this time of the year.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »
New technology has brought us to re-evaluate the front end of the streamliner. Porsche joints were initially used but the speeds for which they were designed is much lower than this car's needs. It is possible that the heavy balls could bind and lock the joint. It would then be impossible to steer the car.

Mark Williams, in Colorado, has now refined the Greek coupler to allow constant lubrication and an angle of up to 10 degrees for steering, and still remain flexible at a speed that will allow 550+ MPH. ( 6000 Wheel RPM) This guarantees steering with the gear ratios that are available in an application matching the need of the Treit liner.

The axles to which these couplers will be attached are being engineered and manufactured. The original manufacturing company has backed out of the design and production of their proposed  system. They guaranteed their ability to produce a system that would meet the requirements of this project but have recently decided that they would not take the responsibility for the liability for these requirements. Williams has developed the material because of the increased stress incurred in todays drag racing cars.

Williams invested in the equipment that was needed to meet these requirements. They certainly are backing this racers needs.

The new design insures the ability to steer the car at the goal speed.

This is the first application of a Greek coupler in a high speed steering system.  There is zero tolerance for deflection in a system like this. These speeds  have never before been generated in a driven wheel that is also required to steer the vehicle. There is no prior system to modify. This is a first time application that has no room for error when the surface speed is a mile every 6.55 seconds.

The couplers that top fuel and funny cars use today can be manufactured with a crown on the male fitting. It can't bind and is easier to keep it lubricated because the female side can have a seal. It could possibly be run wet like the latest trailer wheel bearings.  It is not a change that can be seen, but since we only have 3 degrees of steering to begin with, it must always work.

Ball bearings will replace the previously supplied taper bearings. Longer life and less rolling resistance has dictated the change. The new hubs that have been designed also have larger ball bearings.

These changes also require redesigning and manufacturing the spindles.

All of this is being handled by Mark Williams. 

The foto is of the original hub.

FREUD

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:22:20 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2008, 07:48:45 AM »
Freud,

I noticed in your description of the new steering components for the Treit liner that larger dia. wheel bearings of ball bearing design replaced the original smaller bearings. When I think of bearings getting larger in high speed applications I get concerned for exceeding the maximum rpm (surface speed of the bearing) recommended by the manufacture. This is easy to do, but they have some pretty smart people working on this project so I am sure that that was considered. Still spares in the trailer might be a good plan!

BHarmon 

Offline Freud

« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
BHarmon....your response is greatly appreciated. I'll make certain that this is brought up with the design team and get their comments.

Thanks for your interest in the project.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »
Freud,

Glad to hear Mark Williams is involved. He is very knowledgable when it comes to drivetrain parts. I aways wondered why more people don't use the Greek coupler for different ways to transmit power. They are almost bulletproof.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
If I get access to any engineering drawings or better yet to the new parts, I'll post them on here.

Desotoman, Marlo is constantly looking for any technology or parts concepts that will improve the design. That relates to systems already installed as well as ones in the future. That's how the Greek coupler came into play. If a new item comes available that will add reliability or safety to the car, the prior system will be replaced with the new product.

I too will be waiting for some more progress.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »
I`m going through "Up-date withdrawal" .....Anything new??   :cheers: J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.