Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250996 times)

Ratliff

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
... and then there were the gliders used on D Day.......... they were not much for landing, and I don't think I would want to do a barrell roll in a plywood LSR car either.  Toothpick's anyone?  Anyone? :-D

Plywood doesn't rust when exposed to salt.

The only part of the car that needs to survive a crash is the rollcage.

The last two boats to hold the World Water Speed Record, Lee Taylor's Hustler and Ken Warby's Spirit of Australia, were both wood.

Wood hulls are considered the cadillac of rides in Grand Prix/Formula One boats. Composite hulls are the ones racers in these classes buy when they can't afford a good wood hull.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:05:06 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Freud

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
Marlo tried to get Noah to build it but he didn't return the text messages.

Sorry Franklin.

Freud
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:58:46 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2008, 12:55:01 AM »
These four images came from the same disc as the previous posts. These were shot in December 2003.
I mentioned Hume's wood working skills. This buck is a marvelous example of his craftsmanship.
I will be going to his house this week and while I am there I'll see about some shots of his artistry in wood.
Drury asked for shots of his Olds engine model. I'll post that in a new thread, separate from Treit's build.

Image 25
The stack of plywood on the dolly are the bulkheads that establish the shape at different stations along the length of the car.

Image 27
The piece in Hume's left hand is the last piece of the tail. The holes for the chute cans will be cut into that area.

Image 33
The pieces to the left of the shot, with the vertical attached pieces establish the stations where the patterns attach.
There is a pair of bulkheads for each station. The assembled piece, to the right, is the shape of the right side of the car that butts against the center panel that is leaning against the car body.

Image 35
This is just a view from the front of the same structure that is in Image 33. These were the pieces that were provided to Steve's Auto Restoration, in Portland, Or, that they used to form the back section of the car.

I know that this presentation is out of sequence but if you review the previous posts,some of them way back, it will all fit together.

Enjoy and THANK YOU for your interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:56:35 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
These fotos are from the archives. They were done before the skin was even started and are relative to the blower drive.

Well I have been posting on this build diary for a long time but today I can't figure out how to attach the fotos. I'll do some research and see if I can get back on track.

Sorry for the useless post.

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:13:55 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
2nd attempt at attaching fotos.
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:45 PM »
3rd attempt
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »
Hi Freud,

Thanks for posting those pictures. After seeing the pictures am I correct is saying the blowers will be belt driven?

Thanks again,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
Tom, with all the luck Marlo had in the past with belts, what else would he use  :roll:  (the lakester broke a belt almost every run for those that do not know)

Freud, the older I get the more you seem to forget  :-D  Thanks for the pics.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
Hi Stainless,

You are correct on the belt life, but as I recall Marlo was running a PSI at the time and not a Whipple. Reason I am pointing that out is that an Early PSI like Marlo ran only has about 375 cubic inches of volume per revolution. The Whipple on the other hand has around 555 cubic inches of volume per revolution. Pretty big difference when it comes to overdrive needed to get the same boost. On the Whipple you don't need as small a pulley on the blower as you do a PSI, which helps belt life, and the problem associated with them coming off when running big cubic inch motors and lots of boost.

I thought Marlo had Les Davenport build him a planatary overdrive that bolted on to the blower to slow the belt down, and that help cure the problem. Or maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:22:29 PM by desotoman »

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »
Tom.....balls on. Les did build the overdrive and that solved the problem instantly. Their first run made it thru the 3 and Les clicked it. That was the first time they ever made it thru the mile. The reason their 1/4 speed was so high, above 312, was so they could get a number thru the mile w/o running that far. So after the first successful run w/the OD they decided that Marlo was up for the possibility of sacrificing another engine and so they ran the belt a second time. It lived. Speed went up also. I don't think they have ever tried for 3 passes. All they really want to know is that they can make a down and back w/o replacing the belt. Besides, Les complains about his ears ringing when they pop a blower. One explosion rounded ALL THE BODY panels behind the roll bar and Les couldn't hear for a long time.
So, they have the belt problem solved to the satisfaction of both Marlo and Les. Les can also turn the volume down on his iPod. I think he's a fan of the Boston Pops.
Now if they can build some fuel mileage......LOL

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:57:34 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »
Hi Freud,

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear I don't have alzheimer's yet. LOL. Anyway thanks for posting more pictures of the World's most fantastic Streamliner ever built IMO.

Tom G.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2008, 01:19:57 AM »
From what your description sounds like Freud, Les had been listening the the "Bonneville pops"!!!!!

Offline Freud

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
I have added some images, without descriptions, to Marlo's website. My education has just started in the site but as time passes I'll have a better handle on it. Then there will be either individual comments for each foto or a paragraph that describes the images. In the near future I will try to make the posts all chronological with it beginning WAY WAY back
I haven't squared the Wheel Fairing post away yet. It requires too much scrolling. Be patient and I'll get it fixed soon.

www.target550.com

Now I won't have to load Jon's site with as much trash.

Have a safe and sane July 4th and God, Please Bless the USA.

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:17:01 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
Hume's incredible craftsmanship continues to dazzle us all.

Freud, does this attachment look familiar?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »
Apparently someone knew me in my youth but I can't tell you where or when that was shot.

U got me. 

My wife just washed the screen of my laptop to make me look better.

FREUD
Since '63