Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 251592 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
What appears to be a "Muzzle" is actually an under water breathing device.
Acting as my agent, Ferd has me booked for the dunking tank and tells me to plan on spending a lot of time below the surface. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:50 PM »
What appears to be a "Muzzle" is actually an under water breathing device.
Acting as my agent, Ferd has me booked for the dunking tank and tells me to plan on spending a lot of time below the surface. :wink:

stocks would be simpler to organize , and can I suggest that they hook up a small coil and a battery with a little red button for those who forget to bring the fruit and veg'..................alternatively maybe just a small cage ....... Five bucks to "poke the Bear"

In all honesty folks I'd pay good money to hear Jack , we could do with that sort of experience wit and , er , charm in our club here. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Freud

« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
Googles.......not a problem. Buy Jack a new pair of shoes and give him a map.
HE CAN WALK ON WATER.
He'll come over and dry the lake bed for u.

FERD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
To see the carrier that was mentioned earlier, open:

http://target550.com/

There is a link to earlier fotos of the carrier. Pit work and transportation will all be done with the car in the carrier.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2008, 02:27:33 AM »
Googles.......not a problem. Buy Jack a new pair of shoes and give him a map.
HE CAN WALK ON WATER.
He'll come over and dry the lake bed for u.

FERD

huh? if that's true forget about the stocks and nail him to a cross .LOL
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2008, 02:46:36 AM »
We in the speed record club have been following the build of this car since its inception, and sadly have only had photographs to ponder. What is blatantly obvious is the quality of every aspect of the project, and the first running of this car is eagerly anticipated by a lot of people. I must congratulate this website on being such a wonderful communication genre. Please keep up the superb log Freud!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline Freud

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
I just received the computer that will allow me to access Marlo's site: Target550.com. I was ready to start with my education and adding to the site...........but I can't remember the password.
That may be a major or a minor problem. I'll be on it as soon  as I find either the password or a method of working around it.
So in this day of technology, loss of memory may be fatal.
Thanks for the interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 06:27:34 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
Since the car was moved from Hume's shop to Marlo's shop it has had verry litle work done on it. Marlo had to divide a section of his hanger, build walls, seal a sliding door, insulate and dry wall the area, install heaters and extra lights. It's now time for him to get to work.
He had the flu for about 5 weeks. That seems to be behind him. I talked to him about 6 PM Tuesday and he sounded great.

I expect results soon.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »
Wo.

Just had a close look at your machined speed brake.

Magnificent.

There is an elegance to this project that goes beyond just good machining.
Our belly tank has some nice lines but they are the bashed into shape effort of beginners, whereas this project you can just smell the experience of those involved.

It's like a masterclass of construction and a joy and inspiration to witness.

Keep up the beautiful work and keep posting those photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Reverend H+

Offline Freud

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »
The new section of the shop at Treit's hanger is coming into shape. He has had many responsibilities off site and plans to be back on the car about the first of May. The hangers for the body panels are being fabed and will soon have their permanent attachment points along the wall.On a 32F night, the temp in th race car section was 68F.
I'd think most anyone could work in there.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
With the round trip from my house to Treit's hanger being 500 miles, I won't get there as frequently as I could go to Hume's place. I went to Portland for the gathering of Gaines Markleys friends and then on down to Treit's hanger.I did a few fotos and will post them now.

First shot. The stall for the car is 24' by 62'. There's adequate room to walk around the ends without you being squeezed. With the majority of the weight being centered, the tail section can extend way beyond the carrier and not cause an unbalanced load.

Second shot. The rear center section is just behind the wheel post of the carrier. With the car elevated in the carrier I'll be able to show many more low angle views as the build progresses.

Third shot.  The rear frame support is just aft of the rear center section. The stance of the support and the vertical plates on the stand make the car totally stable when it is released from the carrier. It's not going to drop on anyones toes.

Fourth shot.  The limiting tabs match the diameter of the crossmember. That member is immediately forward of the front engine. The dummy block has all of the attachment plates and clutch can that exactly match the tested powerplants.

I will post 4 more fotos  May 7th. Gotta go slug down a few Margaritas to celebrate the holiday.

The 2 images that are posted are described in the First and Second descriptions. I'll put the Third and Forth fotos in this following post. (Files were too big) Maybe I had the drinks before I posted? Only the Shadow knows.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:45:22 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
These fotos are for the last two descriptions in the prior post.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:50:08 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »

This is the fuel pump and water pump drive.  It is offset to miss part of the intake system.  The offset drive is a modified Enderle fuel pump dual drive that is changed over to drive off the end gear rather than the middle and that gives it about a 4" offset and clears the other parts.  Ratio is camshaft speed.  The middle pump is water and the end pump is Waterman red fuel.
Note that the outlet from the blower is to its left and the fixed starter will be under it.  So, the pumps needed to be moved.  They are on aircraft V couplers and are quick disconnect. I believe Marmon clamps is the correct term.

In the lower left corner is a view of the coupler for two segments on the driveshaft that couples the front and rear engines to the 4 wheel drive assembly.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
Slightly off the subject.
In case anyone was wondering what Hume did while Marlo's car is not in his shop I will post these fotos.
Dave Tatom has a blown flathead street roadster that he runs at B'ville. The car needed a new hood and air scoop so he had Hume make them. I have only posted fotos of the scoop. The skinny end goes forward. It looks so simple when it's all done but it's another example of Hume's fab skill.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »
Thats awesome! I wish I good fabricate like that......