Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250965 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »
Scott.....Thanks for your interest. I can tell you that the day Hume said the frame was complete,
all aligned and welded, I though to myself  Damn, It's really coming along.
The skin has taken almost 5 times as long to do as the chassis.

I guess I lost my head but in the meantime, I have learned to watch the progress
and be patient.

Thanks to all of you for your interest.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
Hey, Freud and others, the Cistene Chapel ceiliung wasn't frescoed overnite!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
Scott.....Thanks for your interest. I can tell you that the day Hume said the frame was complete,
all aligned and welded, I though to myself  Damn, It's really coming along.
The skin has taken almost 5 times as long to do as the chassis.
I guess I lost my head but in the meantime, I have learned to watch the progress
and be patient.
Thanks to all of you for your interest.
FREUD

thanks for keeping us informed Freud, I can understand your excitement , it's a sensational piece , mind-boggling .........it'll be a real buzz if they do bring it out here 8-)
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »
All of the banging and clanging noise you hear is me tossing my tools in the trash after viewing this build. That is the most awe inspiring work I`ve seen in quite a while.    Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
The pictures show a lot, but until you see the real thing you just can't believe the craftsmanship. Everything that Hume does is art in metal. Never in a hurry but the love and pride of what he does. Marlo picked the best for the build. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
Hey Glen I'm not sure who picked who I think maybe Hume picked the project and Marlo said OK.
  Brian #7796

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
The whole bunch are great guys.  It couldn't have been a better match.  Brian #7796

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
A quick question I didn`t see adressed prior. The steering, is that box operating against master cylinders that then act on slaves at the front via hyd. pressure? Very clever if it is (if not I`ll file that one away)!   Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
The car has hydraulic steering. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
Hey, its only 42' long.  You'd think cables would work :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
The engineers call it fluid transfer steering.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
Proven to over 425 MPH, even if it's not SCTA legal...... of course Marlo's not thinking SCTA with this ride.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
Dyno, what a mess it would be if they made him run a shaft.  About 30 feet of 1'' cold roll and maybe 10 0r 12 u joints would probably get there.  One of the neat features Jim Hume built in the cockpit is the steering wheel/control panel pod which swings up vertical for driver ingress/egress.  That is where the hydraulics start.  Another neat feature is the split throttle pedal that Les Davenport whittled out on his cnc.  The purpose is to help control throttle speed on each motor independently or together.  I think I would need that on my sphincter..........................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »
I have just looked at the SCTA rule book for steering and they do require a "gear or link" type of steering which pretty much rules out any type of hydraulic or electronic system. But for a car as long as Marlo's it would certainly look like a "fly by wire" system would be the most appropriate. A rotary pot on the steering shaft and a small servo valve and cylinder with position feed back on the front wheel steering link. They would need a small hydraulic pump to power it but the response would be very fast and completely adjustable. I reviewed the pictures on this thread and did not see anything that looked like steering, if they are using some sort of master slave hydraulic system there could certainly be some challenges with this approach as line loss alone for a 42 foot long car could give you pretty heavy steering but as you probably don't want a real high gain (responsive) system anyway they could probably run lots of mechanical advantage ratio between the steering wheel and the master cylinder. Bleeding the air out of this system will be very important and also providing some sort of accumulator to make up for any possible small leaks in the system and keep the system "preloaded" at some pressure to keep it "tight". Having been in the hydraulics business for longer than I want to think about I will guarrentee you that they will have leaks.

If they ever need some extra dollars they could sell tours of the car for gear heads like myself, it is just to neat!! I would gladly pay to be able to spend time looking it over. I am sure that I would not be the only one!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
Rex, the car has aproximately 6 to 10 degrees of steering, so the ratio or pressure to operate are almost a moot point.  It either goes straight or it doesn't go at all. The car is transported, turned, and worked on while hanging underslung from the carriage.  The carriage resembles a early 50's lumber carrier with four wheel steering and a hydraulic winch/lift system.  As with anything Marlo does, its a show piece in itself.  Hopefully he will have it on display for the next NW Reunion.....one more reason to come.  I am already working on Freud to have Dolan either as the speaker or on display with a mussle on.  I can hardly wait................. :-D
Bob Drury