Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 251014 times)

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2007, 05:39:03 AM »
And a happy turkey day right back at ya!  Impressive build.  Can't wait to see it run.

Cheers all!

Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline Freud

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
December 8, Marlo picked up the car from Hume and moved it to his own shop. There will be plumbing installed and the ducting from the blower to the manifolds
will be fabricated. Part of the tail has not been finished but before spring it will be returned to Hume's place for that to be completed.

Treit bought a 5th wheel trailer and stretched it to maximum over the road length.

Treit is by the control center for the hydraulically actuated lifting cylinders. The lifting pins have been screwed into the chassis, the cables and small shackles attach to the pins. Allen,"Oz". Osborne, a major player in the design and building of the carrier, guides the lift pin into the securing clamp. Jesse gets his initial introduction to the operation. Carrier foto 23

Overall view of the car, carrier and size of Hume's shop set the scene. Carrier25s foto

The lifting pin, shackle and securing clamp detail. The L shaped carrier clamp support rotates out of the way when the car is not secured. When the car is elevated above the clamp level, the support is rotated into place and the car is lowered into the support, the upper clamp half in rotated into position and the "T" handled securing screw is tightened. Then the car is actually a part of the carrier. The tension on the cables is minimal in this position but the car is secure.  4 wheel steer on the carrier aids in maneuvering. Carrier26s foto

Check the fotos in www.target550.com website. There is a detailed presentation on there. Most of the posting, from now on, will be posted at that site but I won't slam the door on Landracing.com.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:30:48 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »
That is one long trailer! Thanks for the update.

Scott

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:18 AM »
Thanks Freud for the updates.  It looks like it is coming along real well.
  The new web site is very nice.  I like it. Brian #7796

Offline Freud

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
The body panels up to the cowl are totally fitted. That is essential to finish fit the panels that include the cowl, air brake, and tail. They have to have a point from which to anchor the canopy and tail tin measurements. For the work that will be done in Oregon that tail tin is not essential.
The carrier functions very well. It's easy to lift the car and it is very secure as it moves, either over the ground or when secured in the trailer.

One conclusion that I made was, "it would sure be nice if the carrier had it's own locomotion power." But I suppose that everyone that buys an ice cream cone in the summer would also like a bib.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2008, 01:17:35 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of the fans of Marlo's 'liner.

2008 should be a good year or the project.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 01:18:44 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of the fans of Marlo's 'liner.

2008 should be a good year or the project.

FREUD

Still here anxiously awaiting a build update......Happy New Year Freud!

Scott

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2008, 06:21:36 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone
It was -6 degrees last night on Brewster Flats with a foot of snow on the ground.
A good time to be in the shop working on the race cars.
Again Happy New Year   Brian # 7796

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
hey Doc
can i get the address of the web site
kent

Offline hitz

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

Offline Freud

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »
I will pass on whatever Marlo relays to me. He's up to his bellie buttons in alligators and as soon as he can afford to feed them, he will pass on some pearls of wisdom for me to relate to you.
If you have a question for him, send it to me or ask him at the San Diego Roadster Club meeting in February.

2008 is going to be an interesting year. If u can't wait for SDRC meeting, he will be at B'ville NW Reunion, Feb 23 in Portland.

Thanks for your interest and support.

aging FreuD
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:30:28 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
Since Marlo's 'liner has been relocated to his Oregon facility he has had several slowdowns.
His aging and aching bones seem to work better in a warm area. So at the hanger, he is
framing in an  area that is about 60 feet long and adding extra heat to it. That will make work easier and insure that the bare metal never sweats and oxodizes.
He has been battling a case of the flu and when he left me an e-mail today that said he planned to take a nap during the day, I know how much of a grip the flu has on him.
We planned to attend the San Diego Roadster Club banquet last Saturday but Mutha Nature took care of that. The Siskiyou Pass between Oregon and Washington was closed by snow over the weekend. The rains between Northern California and Southern Calif were bad. The call to stay home was a good one.
Sorry I don't have more to report but I will soon.

Here are a few more images from Dec 8th when the car was transported.

The first one shows Marlo at the control panel where all lifting and lowering is controlled.

Dick Milne prepares the securing clamp to be closed as the car is lowered into the perch. The lifting pins are rather subtantial.

It does all fit inside. The door will close.
Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the update Freud! Sorry you couldn't make the SDRC banquet it was my first and the wife and I enjoyed ourselves.

I know that nothing will be comprised with the building of the liner, but I am very curious if there is a estimation date for finishing or a goal in mind when he would like to be done with the liner.

Scott

Offline Freud

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2008, 12:31:05 AM »
I assure you, he'd like to be done with it NOW. That hasn't happened.

There is NO COMPROMISE in this build. It was determined that the plastic
rollers that the panel latches slide over would not resist enough temp in case of a fire.
Every attachment point was removed from the frame, an entire new set of rollers
was fabricated and every roller was replaced. The rollers were all fabricated from flat sheets
of material that would tolerate higher temperature. This took one person over a month.
If another situation like this is determined it will be approached in the same manner.

With that dedication in mind, some may call it overbuilding, the time line is not
established. The intention is to do the first rolling tests in the Fall of 2008.

That may happen and it may not.

I have found that many of the time related questions are impossible for me to answer.
I'll try but I probably won't satisfy your curiosity.

I promise I will inform the Internet when it's about to occur.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
I know they are impossible to anwser, I think I speak for many when I say I can't wait to finally see and here the liner make a pass.

Scott