Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250980 times)

Offline Freud

Marlo Treit's Liner
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
jacksoni:
It seems to me that when there is no monetary conflict, truth in vision and eye care has the the same conditions for each profession.
As long as the patient is the primary concern, everything is excellent.
Marlo's 'liner is progressing at an adequate pace. As long as he is happy everyone else should be overjoyed. The fotos I did just over a week ago involved the fitting of the canopy. It is a very complex part of the skin and so many curves come together in that area that it's a slow go.
As soon as the canopy section is fitted, the panels behind there are not as complex. But then again, sometimes when things look simple it requires a huge amount of preparation to make it work out. 
I'll see if I can attach a foto from that shoot.
There are 3 images of the canopy. The shot of the inside shows that the inside is finished to a standard that practically matches the outside. Hume built a fixture to maintain the shape as it is finished. This eliminated flexing and any problem when it's time to attach this piece. The side panels are finished with 80 grit on either a long block or a contour pad  and when I was there almost every panel was finished to this level.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »
Since I don't have a handle on Treit's website yet, I will start this build site. When I figure out the website, I will post there but this will give an insight into this incredible car.
The body is very complex and when the frame was completed we thought that it was a done deal. The body has taken at least 5 times as long to do as did the chassis.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:42:48 AM by landracing »
Since '63

Offline jacksoni

Treits Liner
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:41:15 PM »
Dr Freud- once again, I agree.
Thanks for the update on the liner and the photos.  Awesome.  Really look forward to first runs.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Freud

Treits Liner
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
So does Marlo.
Check the build diary every few days. I will add fotos to a thread about his car.
This coming Monday, Aug 6, Marlo and I are going to Humes. I will have more fotos after that trip and will try to post before I leave for Bendover on Thursday.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:44:12 AM »
These fotos were done March 7,2007 The images are numbered in the upper right corner. Click on the small images to open them.

2.   The hole in the upper portion of the central panel is a lift point for transporting the car. The section with the hole and the one immediately to the right are the last "fairly flat" panels before the tail section starts. The end of the right panel is at the bulkhead of the driver’s compartment. The panel immediately above those two, with the shaft, is the top of the cowl area. A later image will show it's skin.
 3.   A better view of the shaft that holds the fingers that secures the cowl panel to the body.
 5.   The panels of the first two shots are now shown on the opposite side. The left side shows the throttle and the linkages. The lift point is also visible in the front panel.
 8. The tab tacked to the frame rail holds the plastic roller (white) that the hook for holding the cowl in place hooks under. Edited. The white rollers have been replaced with black one that have a much higher melting point. It took a month to replace the white rollers.)
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »
Continuation of Aug 1 posting

9.   Closer view of attachment.
10.   Another of the attachment points.
11.   The shaft slides back and forth to secure and release the cowl panel. A later view will show the control handle.
12.   The panels and the ribs are drilled for the rivets. Final joint finishing is underway. Then the rivets will be installed. Each head is flush fitted and does not require sanding or filing to be flush.   
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »
Freud,
   What a work of art! Is there any possibility of you posting some pictures of the motor with the whipple mounted in front?

Thanks,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:34:18 PM »
When you look at the effort, the quality of the fabrication, the design that has gone into that car it really makes my future efforts on a small engine lakester look like a pimple on a horse's ass! Man that is one impressive project!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
Work of art is hardly adequate!  WOW!!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
You should see the real thing. It's awesome.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:44:28 PM »
Tom.....I've just put this stuff on because it is all current and I didn't have to dig up CDs or negs and scan them.
I have a full plate for today but tonight I will look for earlier stuff to show the remotely mounter blowers and the drive system for them.
Glad u are liking it.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
I'd feel honored to be allowed to see the real thing.  Do you think it's possible to receive an invitation?

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Tom, my wife is waiting in the car but I found this image. More soon.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »
She's still waiting but she just set off the alarm to remind me.
The is the "home of the butterflies. Les Davenport whipped them out in his spare time.
FREUD
Since '63

Online Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
Reminds me a lot of the Barnyard Bomber!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records