Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250774 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »
Freud,

I just tried to acess the website but nothing comes up. Is it down by chance, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
Freud,

I just tried to access the website but nothing comes up. Is it down by chance, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I have also tried to access the site, but it comes up to a sales site with an alligator.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
It's now up and running again.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
Thanks for your interest and patience.

I can only report what is provided.

Marlo has had the entire front drive redone by Williams Enterprises in Louisville, Colorado.

Just like when we work in our garage attached to our house, the completion schedule is never faster than anticipated.

Here are the recent replies from them.

Feb 12
Marlo,

First of all let me thank you for letting me tackle this project.  Unfortunately it hasn't come together as quickly as I had hoped and I take responsibility for that.  I have attached a few photos of the parts as they have been completed.  One thing that slowed things a bit was me going back after the initial design and adding retaining/locking features to ensure there would be no issues with loosening fasteners etc.  The last photos shows one of these features.  This part retains the alignment ball in the crowned coupler.  To keep the allen bolts from loosening a groove to install a spiral lock ring over the heads of the bolts was added to the design.  There were several other areas where I added something to lock and/or retain fasteners or parts.  We are also working on/refining the process for cutting the crowned gear.  I will continue to send photos as we get closer to completion.  Thank you for your patience and I promise the wait will be worth it.

Thanks again,
Bret

Feb 19
Marlo,

Inner and outer shafts are thru heat treat and bearing journals have been ground.  It looks like I will start assembling the first hub this afternoon.

I have attached a couple more photos.  These are the inner (crowned teeth) and outer shafts.  They are in heat treat as I'm writing this.  Final grinding is all that remains after heat treat.  I've got my fingers crossed that I can start assembly next week.  I have one part (spindle nut lock) at our laser cutter, should be here Mon or Tues.  I'll give you an update once I start putting everything together.

Bret

In my opinion, the fotos are too small to attach and show any detail.  As soon as these parts arrive, I will do the fotos and attach them to this diary.

The car is now at Hume's shop and the tail section of the body is being completed. I have some fotos to attach that were done a week ago. Between an eye surgery Wednesday and Chardonnay, the keys of this computer have apparently moved. I hope you can decipher these attachments.

THe first frame shows the frame for the skin adjacent to the drivers compartment on the left side of the car.

In the second image there are 4 tubes with white plastic bushings on each end. These are the points that will attach the panel to the car and will have sliders within them that retain the panel and will allow a quick release. All of these complicated systems are to facilitate the quick turnaround required by the FIA record rules.

My next post will show the mechanism that will accomplish the rapid panel removal if necessary.

Thanks for your patience and continued interest.

Marlo is just as anxious as anyone to complete this project, so hold your breath an keep watching.

If the delay bothers you, send money and prayers.

FREUD

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:28:28 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »
If you have questions or comments, feel free to post them.

This is the project of Marlo's lifetime and I'll answer what I can and I'll get the answers from him or Hume that I can't supply.

THANKS,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Freud,

Thanks for posting the new information. Glad to see things are progressing. Tell Marlo I said Hi and that the liner looks great.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2009, 12:02:08 AM »
Tom, we appreciate your continuing interest.

DESOTO forever.

FREUD for Marlo

Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »
Can't wait to see the finished project.  Any ideas of when it might see the salt? :cheers:

Offline tbcworks

• New folks
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
New to site and i must say this is as awesome as it gets. What a work of art on this build, thanks for letting all to see. I will be starting a build shortly on my shops Trans am, it'll be my first of this kind, with hopes to make it to Bonneville and meet a great group of gear heads.

Tim

Offline Freud

« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »
tbcworks, in the build diary thread read Getting Ready for Bonnevile.

It is an amazing story and can lend a lot of info for you.

They kept their tools in the fire for a long time and the results are beautiful.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
Hume feels that he still has a year to finish his part of the car.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

They kept their tools in the fire for a long time and the results are beautiful.

FREUD

Thanks Freud we appreciate the compliment :-D

JL222 :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »

FREUD

Yes, thanks it means a lot. :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »
I am posting four fotos w/o any explanations. You can see the relationships of the parts.

In the next day or so I will do an additional post related to the clevices and the tubes that cnnect these parts to

make the attachment and release mechanism for the drivers compartment side panels.

I hope you learn something from these fotos.

I am going to the Bakersfield March Meet and the day I return I will have my second eye surgery. Don't be

surprised if my posting time line is extended.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
Atticus Robertson,V,  machines the male and female clevis joints for the cockpit panel retainers. (I have no idea what tunes are on the

I-Pod but the volume eliminates the squealing sound when the end mill runs short of lubricant.)  Both the male and female joints are

machined from the same stock stud. Multiple length threaded linkage rods will  have the finished clevices screwed in place to be

attached to the sliders.

The square hole receives a 3/8” ratchet wrench. It is inside the cockpit and acuates the bell crank that releases two retainer sliders.   

When the panel is secured in place the crank will be horizontal.

The external cockpit skins are 3003 H14. That skin is not shown in these fotos.

The aluminum ribs of the panels are 5052 H32. This material was chosen to provide strength and as much resistance to salt water as

possible. Before the inner panels are attached to the ribs, all the internal surfaces will be spray coated.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:39:05 PM by Freud »
Since '63