Author Topic: Marlo Treit's Liner  (Read 250759 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Marlo Treit's Liner
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2008, 12:28:57 AM »
Thats awesome! I wish I good fabricate like that......

Ditto

Offline Freud

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
Along with the posts about Marlo's car, would you also be interested in some follow up projects that Hume is currently doing?

Webmaster, would you want that in a separate post or included in the Treit build, if there is interest in Hume's projects?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »
Sounds great to me. Jim Hume's craftsmanship is fabulous.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Oh, crap! My first website decision.  What'll I do, oh me, what'll I do?

Here's what I'll do:  Freud, please start a new thread for the stuff from Hume and his shop and efforts.  Putting it in with the Treit work would be fine, but with all the phots there already it'd just take a few moments extra to load to the new stuff, and keeping in mind those forum members that have slower internet service -- let's let them keep up as much as we can.

There.  I did it.  I made a "policy" decision.  I've gotta go take a break now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
SSS, you got it. It will be a few days before I do the new thread. I won't post a lot in there because I don't go to his shop as frequently as I did in the past  and besides that he is doing a long term project that I can't feature.
I'll post what I can to allow people to enjoy his craftsmanship.
Who knows. Maybe someone will even decide to have him fabricate something for them. It will be a few months before Marlo's 'liner goes back to Hume's shop for the final fitting of the tail skin.

Now Slim, that wasn't too difficult was it?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
I just wanted to show the detail required in the buck. The skin is fitted to this male shape. Just storage of the buck is a problem since it's like having 2 cars in the shop at all times.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:52:39 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2008, 12:01:16 PM »
Several more views.
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
  Glen, please show some shots of Jims wood carvings, especially the Fabrage Eggs, and oh, even the amazing Early Olds Rocket (great taste if you ask me!)...............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »
It's obvious that the end goal of this project is a car. Hume's talents in metal fabrication have been demonstrated many times and ways. But....the entire project started in wood. The model was a wood project. That presented no extra learning curve for Jim. He has been a wood carver for years. The wood cabinets in his home are to die for. He has developed this skill from the time he worked in his father's cabinet shop. I doubt that many people received the quality in their cabinets that he now considers his standard. His standards are beyond practical. He does not use sandpaper on his wood projects. The finishes are generated by planes and knives. He makes his own blades and for "gifts" for a visiting group of wood carvers from Japan who came to his home to meet him, he made each of them a small (2 1/2" long) functioning plane. The blades are so sharp that with the proper adjustment and certain wood, the chip is probably 0.002" thick. He presented each visitor with their own plane in small boxes that he constructed. So, he's known to a very exclusive group of carvers from around the world.
Talent in one arena is one thing but talent in multiple arenas is something else. This dude excels in whatever he does.

I forgot to tell you. He had a wooden egg on the White House Christmas tree several years ago. Political affiliation has no bearing on acceptance. They also weren't impressed on how many Funny Cars he had built.

So the wooden buck was just one more arena in which he could excel.

Bob, the next time I go to Hume's place I'll do some shots of his eggs and the engine.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:39:05 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
OH GOD
I feel like such a hack

Rick

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
One of my youngest daughter's most precious possessions is a beautifully crafted jewelry box that Jim made for her.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »
OH GOD
I feel like such a hack

me too........ I walk into a room full of unreconstructed hacks ....someone says ..."look at that hack"....everytime I see this car or anything to do with it I just ogle at it and think "aw my gawd"...it's just incredible.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Freud, thanks to you (and Marlo and Hume of course) for sharing this in so much depth.

As you know, I put my respect and admiration for your trigger finger as being second to nobody's when it comes to the care & history of this passion. You have not "recorded" history like so many others.. you have "created" history and documented it from the heart along the way like no other. What you've given me (me especially) in terms of history, is visually and audibly incomparable(if other's only knew what your passion from way back and care from today has done for me!), and what many of us would think is non existent until we see it... seeing is believing and you have certainly SHOWN me!

Between you, Jack D., Scott G., Glen B., Warner, Joe T., Dan W., Cook, Folgy, Keith, Carl, Sum, Stainless, Jon W. and many others that are from the heart speakers (not to mention all those at Maxton and John Beckett that led me here a lot more in depth then we would of been otherwise at this point).... there is just nothing more someone can ask for from this sport then hearing and seeing those that wish they knew, if they didn't - and you are the ones.

Anyways, my major appreciattion for things like this thread right here.... today is tommorow's history and (like you've made me part of 40 year old history), everyone reading this is now part of it thanks to you.

This sums up the simplicity of it all(as in it's not always just about being on the course) -
Hume took a break and went out to feed the neighbors buffalo.

Thanks my friend, can't wait to give ya a big hug this summer(yeah I know.. after Deb  :roll:)!
Todd
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:24:31 AM by narider »

Ratliff

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »
It's obvious that the end goal of this project is a car. Hume's talents in metal fabrication have been demonstrated many times and ways. But....the entire project started in wood. The model was a wood project. That presented no extra learning curve for Jim. He has been a wood carver for years. The wood cabinets in his home are to die for. He has developed this skill from the time he worked in his father's cabinet shop. I doubt that many people received the quality in their cabinets that he now considers his standard. His standards are beyond practical. He does not use sandpaper on his wood projects. The finishes are generated by planes and knives. He makes his own blades and for "gifts" for a visiting group of wood carvers from Japan who came to his home to meet him, he made each of them a small (2 1/2" long) functioning plane. The blades are so sharp that with the proper adjustment and certain wood, the chip is probably 0.002" thick. He presented each visitor with their own plane in small boxes that he constructed. So, he's known to a very exclusive group of carvers from around the world.
Talent in one arena is one thing but talent in multiple arenas is something else. This dude excels in whatever he does.

I forgot to tell you. He had a wooden egg on the White House Christmas tree several years ago. Political affiliation has no bearing on acceptance. They also weren't impressed on how many Funny Cars he had built.

So the wooden buck was just one more arena in which he could excel.

Bob, the next time I go to Hume's place I'll do some shots of his eggs and the engine.

FREUD

Although you'd still want a conventional rollcage, it would be very practical to build an all wood car. The Mosquito, an all plywood airplane, was one of the fastest prop driven planes in WWII. Back in the sixties, the Marcos company in England made some very successful small displacement sports cars based on a plywood monocoque chassis.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »
... and then there were the gliders used on D Day.......... they were not much for landing, and I don't think I would want to do a barrell roll in a plywood LSR car either.  Toothpick's anyone?  Anyone? :-D
Bob Drury