Author Topic: History Detctives  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

History Detctives
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:06:06 PM »
Heads up, folks -
I just saw a preview of next week's History Detectives on PBS (9:00 on Monday nights here in NC) and they will do a piece on an old lakes racer.  They just showed a brief shot of the car, and it's a black roadster with what appeared to be a full height '32 radiator shell.  Doane Spencer, maybe?  If I were you'll, I'd tune in!  They always investigate fully and get as much info as possible on the object in question.

Later
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline GeneF

Re: History Detctives
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
That's cool, I like that show anyway, I hope the cute young chick does the story.

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »
Tokufu did the story.  It was a good segment, but a bit disappointing, as they weren't able to definitively say if the roadster was or was not an old lakes racer.  I don't think it was, as there was no sign that it had ever had a roll bar.  The hot motor out of the car (the owner had installed a milder flattie, as the original was a bit much for him) had an amazing port and relieve job on it, so I'm guessing it was used for some kind of racing, but who knows what.  I'd give a buck to know who built that engine.  They also didn't figure out who built the car, but it was lovely.

Later
Dan

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »
I just stumbled on to that segment as it started.It was a pleasant surprise to see LSR on the tube. And the car is just next town over from where I work. The engine work was sweet,I was surprised the engine guru guy never mentioned the port/relief job as even I could see that.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline aircap

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »
Too bad the followup had flawed info - perhaps they need to do better research on modern history.
They stated that Richard Noble had driven Thrust SSC through the sound barrier, it was his driver - Andy Green - who set the latest record.

Wonder if Tufuku was truly aware he was in the presence of hot rodding gods.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
I think the answer is "no".  He seems like a really great guy, but a lot of folks who could have shed light on this mystery weren't called, like Alex Xydias and other who come quickly to mind.  They needed a real car guy on this one.  Like ME, for example.  Or maybe even somebody who knows something, like Sum.  Still, it was fun to see and great for the sport.

Later
Dan