Author Topic: is fuel pump shutoff acceptable on an MC  (Read 3072 times)

Offline panchop

is fuel pump shutoff acceptable on an MC
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
On my gas MC. is the kill switch for my electric fuel pump acceptable as a fuel shutoff.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: is fuel pump shutoff acceptable on an MC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »
I was told that a switch on an electric fuel pump was acceptable for vehicles with electrics.....this is what I have on my car but the person who said this knew that my vehicle was a car. May not apply to a MC but would be willing to bet that it does.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »
BTW, they also said the switch had to (or should be) be clearly marked.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »
Not according to the rule book. Fuel pump shutoff and fuel shutoff are two separate listings.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »
I asked Tom Evans this question.  He said that the kill switch shutting off the electric pump is acceptable.  I made it part of the lanyard so when the lanyard is pulled, the ignition and fuel are shutoff.

Most late model EFI bikes don't have a fuel shutoff valve.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
What is good for one should be good for the other.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RogueKustoms

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
Being my first time out on the salt I wanted to make sure I had it right when I got there so I didn't get on the bad side of the tech inspectors so I emailed Mr. Evans about this as well here is my question as well as Mr. Evans response:

It is a fuel injected bike with a fuel pump located inside the tank, so at any point that the fuel pump loses power the fuel flow is shut off.  I have the Ignition kill lanyard Section 7.B.2.2 to obviously kill the engine/ignition and stop the engine, I also wired it to kill all power to the bike including the fuel pump, also the engine stop switch 7.B.2.1 located on the handle bars kills power to fuel pump as well and is operable from a normal riding position and without removing the riders hands from the bars.  To my way of thinking, since both of these items kill the fuel pump and shuts off fuel flow right at the source as soon as activated, it would not require me to add in a manualy operated petcock.  Do you feel this satisfies the intent of section 7.B.2.4? 

Shutting off the fuel pump will comply with our fuel shut off rule. See you on the Salt....Tom

_________________________________________________________________Get your FREE Budweiser E-mail account at http://budweiser.com Budweiser E-Mail must be used responsibly and only is for consumers 21 years of age and older! Disclaimer: Neither Anheuser-Busch, Inc. (the makers of BUDWEISER beer) nor the operator of this E-Mail service or their respective affiliates have seen, endorsed or approved any of the content in this e-mail and expressly disclaim all liability for the content in whole and in part.
        DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

Offline panchop

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:58 PM »
well since i have a large filter and a couple feet of line before the pump i just decided to rig one up using a ball valve and a checker auto choke cable. not to much extra work so....